3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I'll Never Kill a Grizzly -- Not an Anti Rant  (Read 2220 times)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
I'll Never Kill a Grizzly -- Not an Anti Rant
« on: January 02, 2022, 09:06:37 AM »
The August before I started off to college in 1973, I jumped out of an airplane affixed to a static line. It was terrifying and great fun all at the same time.  I'll never forget when the jump master told me to step out of the plane, and I put one foot on the tiny peg and grabbed the wing, what went through my mind. I thought to my self (19 years old) "that I'll never kill a grizzly".

Obviously I survived that adventure, which was actually very safe.

When I discovered the archives full of 1950's Outdoor Life, Field and Stream, and I think Sports Afield at my HS library I read every hunting story I could find on Grizzly.  Those archives cost me a letter grade (or two) in calculus. That's when the Grizzly dream was born (bowhunting of course).  The picture of Fred Bear poised behind the drift wood waiting on the Kodiak (coastal Grizzly) was forever etched in my mind...I can see it now. For my senior paper as I graduated Purdue as a Forester and Wildlife Biologist the Grizzly chose me. The professor had us pick from a hat, a random species to conduct a literature review on and up popped the Grizzly for me, weird.

I was going through my annual copy of Bowhunting Safari Consultants the past few days.  It is amazing how well paid the outfitters and guides are for taking folks on Grizzly hunts (sheep and the biggest moose species too).  I don't begrudge these experts a nickel, it is their livelihood and they have a brief window to make it work.  I even know some of the fellows who have hunted with BSC. 

My dream hunts (animals) have always been out of reach.  I was never able to see far enough ahead to catch more than a glimpse of the Jones' let alone keep up with em.  Based upon the increased costs of some of these hunts, the Jones' have lit the afterburners.  Good for em. I firmly believe hard work, good choices, and persistence pays off.

So, I finally crossed some things off my list this week. No grizzly, no sheep, and no moose. I know Newfoundland moose are much more affordable.  I almost hunted moose in Alberta several years ago. I wrote about it on this forum.  Long story short; best friend cancer (he survived thank God), uncooperative Alberta Fish & Game, and two years later I'm out $3,000 deposit and no moose hunt.

I did get close enough to heave a mud-covered beaver dam stick and hit a world record Shiras moose at 12 yards around 1985. That moose was killed by a resident hunter from Sheridan, WY the very next day. The warden stopped in my DIY elk camp to tell me and I read about the hunt 11 months later in Bowhunter Magazine.

I am happy though to be teaching my grandchildren to shoot and hunt. I'll go DIY antelope hunting with my son, friend, and brother this coming fall, and of course continue to occupy space in the deer woods.

I imagine others know for various reasons how these shoes fit?   

« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 12:32:55 PM by Bowwild »

Offline beendare

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I'll Never Kill a Grizzly -- Not an Anti Rant
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2022, 11:07:02 AM »
 My life strategy is to be thankful for everything I DO have. I may never do a Stone sheep or Grizz hunt….but I’m OK with that.

I do construction projects for the top 1% of 1%, a couple of my clients are billionaires. I know folks that are always comparing themselves to those folks with piles of $$ and they get depressed. I can tell you those piles of $$ brings on a whole different set of problems for them, Ive seen it first hand. I recently turned down a project for a famous singer- you all will know- what a nightmare dealing with her and her managers; missed meeting, can’t make up their mind, leave me hanging like my time means nothing. Fuggetit. I don’t need that kind of grief and what a mess that whole clans life is.

I think the trick in life is finding appreciation for what we do have and taking the time to make the people around us feel special.

You don't drown by falling in the water; you drown by staying there.”
― Edwin Louis Cole

Offline durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2022, 11:12:20 AM »
Been wearing your shoes all my life  :wavey: ...don't care for the fit but there not worn out quite yet (but close)...I've managed to kill my once in a lifetime idaho moose lots of elk, deer, bear, couger, turkey, grouse, rabbits and a handful of other critters. Been out of state a couple times for speed goats with no arrows losses BUT like you Alaska and or the Yukon are and always will be a mear dream that keeps burning but with full knowledge the snow on that branch hanging over said fire is gona plop right smack in the middle of it someday :o...dreams are good :thumbsup:

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2022, 11:21:30 AM »
There was a time when I too had dreams.  You reach a point in life where you run out of "some times".  You know, sometime I'll do this, sometime I'll go there.  And then you learn to accept the fact that those sometimes you always dreamed  of aren't going to happen. 
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2022, 11:43:51 AM »
I did kill an Alaskan Yukon moose quite a few years ago, but I, too, have had a long-time urge to take a grizzly, not so much sheep or goats.  Regardless, I've aged out of the possibility of going after any of them, even if i could afford it.  Does help me to appreciate what I still have and can do, however. But for those younger, I say do it while you can. 

Offline degabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2022, 04:41:46 PM »
My dream hunt was elk in the mountains out west and I actually got to go with my son on a trip set up by crossedarrows when my son returned from afganistan. didn't get a shot at an elk but I did see two of them . I really didn't think I would kill one so just seeing a big bull was great.

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2022, 05:28:16 PM »
I was fortunate to live in Montana for a couple of years and killed Mule Deer and Pronghorn but spent far more time hunting unsuccessfully for Bighorn Sheep in the Wilderness Area north and east of Yellowstone Park. I've hunted and killed Dall Sheep and could have tried for Grizzly Bear in the same area but have never had any interest. The urge to hunt has gradually left me and for a number of years now the unending quest for everything from "shooters" to "booners" by the latest and greatest "pro hunters" and various experts hawking an endless supply of useless crap hasn't whetted my appetite any either.

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2022, 05:44:47 PM »
I've been fortunate to go on many out of state trips over the years, but they've mostly been DIY type. I'll never kill a Griz either, but I'm good with that. I guess I've always adjusted my expectations to what was possible. I sure would like to find a big muley someday, but I guess not enough to play the tag game. Whitetails and pigs keep me busy enough.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2022, 05:56:26 PM »
Interesting. I don't find myself giving much thought to animals I wish I could hunt...it just doesn't work that way for me. I've been at sheep altitudes while hunting caribou and moose, and I've watched them go about their lives. I haven't found myself wishing I was hunting them. I've seen a bunch of (and had encounters with a few) grizzlies...but never had a predatory feeling toward one. Same with wolves. I know guys who would love to kill one. I love watching them and have not pursued them even when I easily could have done so legally.

I have exactly zero interest in paying big money just to hunt a species. I toss the BSC catalog as soon as it arrives. There's just something about the big-money trophy hunts which actually gives me a negative feeling. Those hunts are a business....pure and simple...and I don't like tying my pleasure to their business. Maybe on a cruise to Cancun....not on a muskox shoot. Even when I caribou hunted the NWT we did our level best to ditch the native guide and go kill our own animals without assistance (actually interference to me).

I have less desire to kill than ever....hence less desire to actually hunt animals. I take the opportunities that come my way when I want...but just as often I turn down hunting opportunities. I think in the end I'd rather say I did more things afield than I ever imagined....and not have my family wishing I'd done a little less. There IS contentment in sitting on the front porch and watching a sunset together while somewhere the world continues to rush onward.

Offline Bernard Bjorklund

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2022, 07:31:58 PM »
Well said Kevin Dill!

Bernie

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2022, 07:48:15 PM »
I took advantage of dual citizenship while young enough to enjoy the mountains. I knew I would not be able to afford all the hunts I wanted to do living in the Midwest.

I've killed everything in Alberta w OTC tags. I do put in for Goat and Bison the odd time they are available but so far no luck. I'm hoping to spend more time hunting a Bighorn Ram this year. I will also put in for Grizzly if they ever offer that draw again. The population is there now, just politics preventing a hunt.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2022, 08:00:22 PM »
I always wanted to moose hunt but like other things, I just put off to long to be something I think I’ll ever do.
 Plus I want a DIY hunt or nothing.  I love reading Monte Brownings moose and bear adventures, that’s as good as it gets. But like Kevin, I have zero interest in a guided hunt or paying anyone to help me out, which is required by law in a lot of places.
    A couple years ago there was a simple story in the PBS magazine of a fella that had worked in a southern sawmill and had limited money or time off but had learned to make his own adventures locally with limited resources. I can fully relate to him and have been able to have some pretty cool hunts within a few hours drive .
      So I still read about Monte and similar folks a d dream, but it’s just not gonna happen for me
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2022, 10:54:10 PM »
Roy,
Sixty-nine years old and I have never jumped out of a plane.  I had a chance in 1975 To go through jump school but I had to extend a year more in the Army and I wasn’t willing to pay that price.  I do wish some days I had but it’s ok.
I still dream about various hunts ( not Grizzly bear however).  I have the opportunity to put in for a moose draw and a sheep draw, so I do that and dream about what if.  The odds are way against me and that’s ok.

This year I enjoyed a deer hunt with a guy I havnt seen in sixty years and what a great time that was! I’ve been elk hunting with my son four times, and cherish that. Lots of deer hunting with my dad, and grandsons too.

So I’ll keep dreaming about hunting, and maybe I’ll hunt some deer, maybe a pronghorn hunt, maybe one more black bear hunt, and maybe I’ll get to hunt wild pigs some time.  Buy maybe none of them will happen.  Tomorrow is guaranteed to no one.  But I get a lot of pleasure thinking and maybe planning  about what might happen in the future. ANTICIPATION is a good thing, maybe a great thing.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2022, 08:56:12 AM »
I agree with the preference for DIY.  I've hunted and killed antelope, mule, and of course whitetails DIY many times.  My antelope hunt this fall will be another DIY.  However, like many have reported the Grizz isn't available to most without a guide. 

Also, I've learned over the years (mainly with elk), it takes me more than one hunt to get things figured out enough to have much chance of success. 

Also, I have friends, son, and a brother that like to join me on hunts. I love that company and great memories are made. However, it does put a lot more pressure on the DIY hunt manager (me).  Like many here, I usually put myself in the least successful "spot or situation" because I relish the success of those close to me more. I am grateful that I enjoy more tag soup after these hunts than those who are counting on my judgement.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2022, 10:03:23 AM »
I have never wanted to hunt Grizzly, but elk, moose, and caribou were on my list. Unfortunately, I never could afford such a trip. Now at 72, I fear I am just too old to do it. Luckily, deer have always been plentiful, and I have had access to several really good hunting tracts. Therefore, I have never felt left out of the hunting scene, as I really enjoy hunting deer. I did jokingly mention to my wife that I might like to hunt out of state. This was shortly after we bought a small tract of land. Her immediate response was that we had just bought land in this county, so I would be hunting in Haddock, Georgia (about 10 minutes away). That definitely settles the issue.
Sam

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2022, 11:40:05 AM »
On my first "trip of a lifetime " in  Britsh Columbia in 1979 I was offered a chance to come back to BC the next fall too hunt grizzly for $2500. The hunt I was on was for Moose, Goat and caribou that cost me $2250. I had not had a day off for almost 2 yrs working 2 jobs to pay for this trip so I declined. To this day I don't regret my decision as time with my 2 young girls was more important. My last big trip I was into big bears everyday on Kodiak , just tried to stay out of their way.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2022, 06:23:41 PM »
When I was a kid, my dream was a jacked up 4x4 F150.  I could have had one a long time ago, but my dreams have changed and my sense of economics has evolved.  I still look at them with admiration occasionally bordering on lust, but when I remember that every dollar that I spend on one thing is a dollar I can't spend on anything else, I eventually get over it.  The biggest thing that middle class wage earners who have accumulated significant financial rewards have in common is that they drive Honda Accords or Toyota Camrys until the wheels fall off and that they live in modest houses.  There are countless of examples of people packing peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for years so that they can achieve their financial goals.

Life is about balance though and everyone has to find their own.  A fat bank account at 80 is nice, but generally speaking people don't have the drive to maximize or enjoy it at that age.  In my mind, it is much better to have a bit less in the bank then and to be drawing the dividends of life experiences and quality memories.  An epic trip made at 20 pays more lifetime memory dividends than one made at 70.  Sometimes, you have to eat the peanut butter and jelly to make those memories.

We only get one ride on this rodeo. You can make most things happen if you want them bad enough.  When I say I probably won't ever have a jacked up pickup truck, what I am really saying is that I want something else more.  At my age, I am starting to seriously plan for retirement and figure out what my goals and priorities are.  One strong priority is a lot of memories to look back on if I live long enough to make it to my rocking chair years.  For me that means trips and experiences.  There is a book called "Die With Zero" by Bill Perkins that addresses some of these concepts.

Sorry for the ramble, but I am really focused on this topic.  I spend a lot of effort trying to have a healthy work/life balance. 
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Lowrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2022, 11:08:33 PM »
Always wanted to go Elk hunting but now that I have the ability to afford it I no longer have the health. Sometimes that's just the way it goes.

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2022, 02:49:17 AM »
Without a chance to become so, a dream will always remain a dream.

Growing up I saw many close friends and relatives spend their time dreaming about something/s, it rarely happened.  Analyzing their behaviors, it became apparent to me most of them never attempted to make their dream/s happen; They were satisfied with the dream.

I must confess, in the late 70’s, just out of high school, while going to college, I was a fly fishing addict (my dad is responsible for that addiction).  Every summer was spent thumbing through every western state, Canada, and Alaska, fishing any river that looked like it could be or I had heard was good fishing.  Worked the midnight shift building L1011’s for Lockheed to finance college, my wrestling, and summer fishing addictions.  Never regretted the loss of sleep or mediocre grades. 

When I discovered big game hunting in August 1984, I quit coaching HS wrestling, it conflicted with my new found passion.  After finishing my commitment for the following school year, moved to Idaho to spend more time hunting and fishing.  Financially, definitely not the best decision.  I have never regretted making my adventures happen, the good and bad and/or the easy and hard ones. 

Dreams become reality, thus memories, when one makes them so.  Yes, there are obstacles, often presented by others, though more often they are one’s owns self-imposed parameters or limits.  The journey create memories, regardless of the dream being achieved.  Often, the attempt or journey becomes more fulfilling and/or memorable than ones dream when it is achieved.  Most important, one must do what is needed for their dreams to have a chance of becoming reality. 

Ones life, as well as ones memories, mostly consist of what you do…..or don’t do.  At minimum, when you are old and broken, be able to say to yourself, I tried to make it so…..and often did.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2022, 02:27:26 PM »
Good thoughts Walt.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©