3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My Cellular Game Cameras are So Much Fun!  (Read 1814 times)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
My Cellular Game Cameras are So Much Fun!
« on: January 02, 2022, 02:20:34 PM »
I left whippersnapper territory in the mirror a few decades ago. Some my age might not think much of the relatively new cellular game cameras. You know, the ones that take pictures and send them to your phone or computer within a minute or less.

I bought my first last year and my second this year.  I love these things.  I had a drawer full of the older style cameras that you had to fetch cards from.  Frankly, I don't like to approach stands unless I'm going hunting. Checking cards was too invasive for my tastes.

I'm pleasantly surprised how easy these cell cameras are to set up (Reveal and Reveal X).  They don't catch everything, but I would never have known I have bobcats on my farm without those pictures.  To me it reminds me of a virtual trapline.  My phone went off while I am typing this, a doe is looking towards my ground blind, about 800 yards from my kitchen table. I know, but it is windy and rainy and I choose not to hunt those conditions most of the time.

My wife, who has only a passing interest in my hunting plans, gear, and exploits (she's numb to these after 43.5 years), thinks I should keep my subscriptions open even after I stop hunting for the year. She knows what a kick I get out of deer and other critters "calling" me.  However, I will suspend the subscription in two weeks when the KY season concludes.

I know a person could put up a series of such cameras and most live track the movement of deer.  Certain patterns might be discerned that could prod a person to get to a stand that is down the line from the one that just sent the picture.  I wouldn't condone that as I would consider it misuse (probably illegal use of electronics for the taking of game).

On days I choose not to hunt, if I get no pictures on that areas camera I don't feel so "guilty" for not hunting. Of course the opposite is true when I am sent a picture that confirms I should have got my butt out!

It just occurred to me.  How cool would it be for a guy like me in KY to have a cellular camera put up in bighorn sheep country?  Hmmmm... OMG...imagine the phone dinging when there is a bighorn ram looking at my camera?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 04:42:37 PM by Bowwild »

Online SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
Re: My Cell Cameras So Much Fun!
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2022, 03:48:37 PM »
Hey Roy that sounds really neat!! I've had a few regular ones out and had a mountain lion in a pic., this is in Minnesota also bobcat, never knew they were around. Showed it to a conservation officer, he was impressed!
 Was thinking I would try one like yours. Is it hard to get everything set up and how much $ , what brand, I'm not very smart, old dog you might say.
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: My Cell Cameras So Much Fun!
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2022, 06:12:41 PM »
I’m using Tactacam Reveal and Reveal X. They are $120 at Cabelas. You can get solar powered for $179. I’ve found that one set of batteries lasts me from late August through now. A monthly subscription of $12-13/ camera is required with no limit on pic numbers. Less expensive monthly costs are available but with pic number limits.

I set mine up from kitchen table. I tested and put em out.  I tried Spypoint Cameras also but setup and I didn’t get along.

Offline Gen273

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My Cellular Game Cameras are So Much Fun!
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2022, 07:41:25 PM »
I have wanted to try cell cameras; I think I will buy one of the solar models you mentioned.
Jesus Saves (ROM 10:13)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2022, 09:12:45 PM »
Please note they are cattier specific. I have AT
Y. They also have Verizon models. Same prices.

Offline Lowrider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2022, 11:00:21 PM »
What's the difference in the Reveal and the Reveal X?

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 09:16:30 AM »
Newer model slightly better camera. Solar option.

A little different shape.

I can't tell any difference in the two, I have one of each.  I just received notification last night that my double A batteries (8) are at 80%. It has been out since August. I'll shut them both down before mid-January. I'll reopen them in July or early August.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2022, 11:38:54 AM »
We all have our own "thing".  Heck I don't even carry a cell phone.   :banghead:
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2022, 12:21:31 PM »
Now come on, Roy..

It didn't happen without some pictures:)

:thumbsup: :wavey:

Online Trenton G.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2022, 01:25:23 PM »
I really enjoy my cell cameras as well! Especially at school where just to check some of my cameras is a 45 minute drive which is unfortunately in most cases time that I don't have due to class schedules and what not. It's super exciting to get a picture and now that right at that very moment whatever it is that triggered the camera is standing in my spot.
I also found them super useful for bear hunting this fall since I never had to touch the camera to check it. This in turn kept the bait smell off the camera and prevented the bears from trying to eat my camera (although they did break the antenna off).

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2022, 01:36:35 PM »
I've kinda kicked the tires on doing the cell cam thing.  My brother has some that he really likes, and it is nice to see activity in real time.  I may get some in the future, but for now I've got 9 of the standard card reader types that I still use.  It is still kind of fun for me to pull the card on each camera and not know what I'm going to see.
Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28

Offline Bow Bender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2022, 03:46:06 PM »
Before you soak a lot of money into cellular cameras be sure to check the laws of the state that you plan to use it in. Transmitting cameras are illegal here in Montana. Don't remember exactly how many years back, 4 or 5 maybe, they finally made it legal to use non-transmitting cameras during any open big game season.  Before that we could have them out from16 June through 14 August because there was a big game season open somewhere in the state the rest of the year.

If I'd known that I would live this long I'd have taken better care of myself.

Offline kenboonejr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2022, 09:29:36 PM »
I have heard really good things about the Reveal cameras.  I hear the picture quality is outstanding.   What I use and and really like are the Cuddeback Cuddlelink cameras.   The Cuddelink cameras make  a proprietary wireless connection between the game cameras.  One camera is setup as the home camera, and the rest of the cameras link back to the home camera.  I am running 7 of these on my property now.  The home camera is out back pointing to a feeder I run year round behind my house.   Basically, when the remote cameras take a picture they transmit a reduced size picture to the home camera.  The only camera I have to check is the home camera and I will see the pics from all 7 cameras by checking that home camera.  I never have to go the remote cameras except to change batteries.

Now having said all that, the home camera could be a cell camera as well. In this case you could have 1 subscription that would cover all of your cameras.  But I don't mind checking that home camera because the deer are used to people being in that area since it is my backyard.   I just choose to not go that route so I don't have to worry about a subscription.  Now the scaled down image from the remote cameras have a much lower resolution, but they are good enough for you to identify different bucks and know what you got.  You can always go and pull the card if you want the higher resolution of an image but my concern, is knowing what is there without leaving my scent all over each time.

I did a couple videos on how these cameras work to explain it a little better. 

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2022, 08:52:52 AM »
Roy,
Whoops, I forgot that "didn't happen" rule.

Here are a couple photos from my ground blind as I'm reading and writing this morning.  I passed this forky up at 12 yards about 2 weeks ago.

You can see that he was joined by additional deer.  I'm waiting on a bit of snow which is coming today and I'm going to get out at least one more time before the season closes at the end of the day on January 17.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2022, 03:06:18 PM by Bowwild »

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2022, 08:55:09 AM »
Very nice....

:thumbsup:

Offline JonCagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2022, 09:02:34 AM »
I also have got a reveal camera and I really like it, I set it up this season in a bedding area I didn’t want to be traipsing into every few weeks

Offline electricstart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2022, 09:22:34 AM »
Very Happy with my Reveal camera

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2022, 09:24:53 AM »
Those are some very clear sharp pictures...

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2022, 03:14:23 PM »
Here's one when one of my grandsons "found" my camera!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©