3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Another Brace Height Question;  (Read 1153 times)

Offline UncasUK

• Trad Bowhunter
Another Brace Height Question;
« on: January 06, 2022, 09:58:17 AM »
Sorry if this has been covered before!
My bow brace height is between 7''& 7.75'' I noticed at 7'75 there was some slight hand shock
but at 7'' there was none and the draw was somewhat smoother with no shock at all.
So my question is would the draw weight be less at 7'' and increase back up at 7'25/7.5'' :dunno:
All reply's appreceated.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
Re: Another Brace Height Question;
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 11:00:35 AM »
I'll be listening in.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2:
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 01:15:53 PM by Wudstix »
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 11:16:40 AM »
Bow weight @ 28” should increase with brace height.  I don't know if this is always the case, but it is easy to measure if you have a bow scale.  I just double checked this myself on one of my bows, just in case of old-age brain fog, and found it to be true as I expected.  From all I have read and experienced, the perception that the bow draws more smoothly at lower brace heights is true.  Despite this, many people report greater accuracy at higher brace heights.  The general perception is that overall energy transmitted to the arrow is greater at lower brace heights, because the higher peak draw weight at higher brace heights is more than offset by the increased distance the arrow is being drawn under tension at a lower brace height.  At some low brace height, noise increases and that defines the lower brace height limit.  General recommendations are to set the brace height somewhere above this lower limit, although as I noted, some shooters report greater accuracy at a somewhat higher brace height.  The upper brace height limit is set by the bowyer, as there is somewhat greater stress on the bow as brace height increases.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2022, 05:41:59 PM »
The only way to know for certain is to use a chronograph and a shooting machine, with that said all bows have a sweet spot as far as brace height for your draw length you'll have to experiment for what feels good to you, to much or to little can make a difference.

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2022, 05:47:11 PM »
Also stay within the parameters suggested by the Bowyer they would be able to help you the most.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2022, 09:00:11 PM »
To answer your question, yes, the draw weight at brace would be a touch higher at the higher brace height, but at a half-inch higher, probably only a half pound or so, not enough that you would likely notice.  However, that does not translate into increased draw weight at your normal draw length.

There are a number of videos on Utube that come down on either side of this questijon, but here's my take on it as well as the findings of a couple of utubers. (Archery 101:  Does Changing Brace Height Change Poundage," and Arch4archery: "Recurvbe Bow Brace Height"). They both show with pretty accurate measurements that raising the brace height has no affect on bow poundage at full draw.

Raising the brace height (let's say an inch) is akin to drawing the bow an inch.  It begins to flex the limbs, putting a little more tension on the string, i.e., increasing the draw weight at brace.  Again, by a small amount. 

However, at full draw, the draw weight is virtually the same regardless of the brace height because the higher the brace height the less you draw the limbs to reach full draw.  For example, if your brace height is 7 inches, you pull the strting an additional 21 inches to reach 28-inch draw.  However, if the brace height is 8 inches, you pull it only an additional 20 inches to reach full draw.  The resulting draw weight at full draw is virtually identical.

This explains how some folks micro tune their bow to the arrow by twisting the string up a few turns to bring a marginally stiff arrow into line.  It increases the poundage at brace, be it ever so slightly. At the same time, this decreases the power stroke such that the arrow speed remains virtually unchanged.  If anything, the slightly increased power stroke of a lower brace height increases performance just a tad more than an increase in brace height, but it's so slight it is very difficult to measure.   

« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 05:05:29 PM by Orion »

Offline SS Snuffer

• Trad Bowhunter
  • At home in White Oaks and swamps
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2022, 11:12:44 PM »
Ben my Black Hunter long bow shoots best for me at 7 1/2". 5/8" high nock point.
  Here's another good arrow build.
Beman Center Shot  600' s
31" arrow 200 point weight, insert 20 grs. alum. 3- 4"feathers, 10 grn. Nock, 28"draw.
Arrow wt. 453 grs.
GPP . 11.8
FOC. 22.5
Speed 173 Fps.
Chuck
Sent you a PM
Chuck
Kodiak Mag 52" 41 lb.
Kota Kill-Um 60" 42 lb.
Kanati 58" 38 lb.
Black Hunter Longbow 60" 40 lb.

No Guts - No Story

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2022, 09:12:29 AM »
Increasing brace height will increase limb bend/usage if the same draw length is used.  This can increase draw weight and create limb "stack".  Lots will have to to do with draw length and all the physical factors of the bow and its design.

All my 60" Black Hunter hybrid longbows shoot and feel best at a 7-1/4" brace height for a 29" draw.  A +/- 1/4" brace height change is noticeable.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2022, 09:27:24 AM »
To answer your original question, yes the draw weight would be less with a lower brace height( longer string means you pull the limbs a shorter distance), but this is a very small number; probably less than a pound. I've always tried to let the bow tell me where the brace height is. There is a spot that will be quieter with less shock. Usually somewhere between 7 and 8 inches; can definately go higher with some bows. Each bow is different depending on string material, arrow weight, shooting style, limb taper rate, etc.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©