3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help me get into some wood arrows.  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Matt flint

• Trad Bowhunter
Help me get into some wood arrows.
« on: January 08, 2022, 08:19:42 PM »
Got me a 64” 50@30 mountain monarch that I am really falling in love with. Got some 2117s 32” with 220 up front bare shaft tuned.
Think Id like to try some wood out, but I dont understand them at all.
Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Online JakeD

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help me get into some wood arrows.
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 09:22:10 PM »
Go to 3Rivers site and look at their arrow chart. Makes it really simple. And if I could suggest one thing, get tapered shafts when you order. It’s not all that complicated.
Black Widow PCH V 56" 52@28

Offline Baylee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 09:58:27 PM »
Forget the arrow charts I’ve never seen them to be even close. Call Andy Ponce of addictive archery. You can tell him your aluminum or carbon arrow that’s shooting well in your bow and he can tell you what spine you’ll need in wood. Also forget the super heavy points used on carbon arrows or even aluminum. Extreme weight forward is not necessary for wood. Wood is not carbon or aluminum doesn’t flex like them doesn’t recover from paradox like them. You can buy a couple of test shafts from Andy and shoot them find the spine that shoots best and then buy a dozen or the shafts to make your own. And do not believe anyone that says a wood arrow cannot be as accurate or durable as a carbon or aluminum. I shoot nothing but wood stumping hunting targets. When I break one it would usually have broken a carbon or bent an aluminum.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 10:10:21 PM »
Matt;
I usually add 5# for over 28", 5# for 160 grain BH, 5# for 190-250 grains.  5# if the longbow is D/R, or fast flight.  So, if your shooting 160 grains or less 65# spine would be good.  Forgot, I shoot tapered arrows.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2:
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 10:32:46 PM by Wudstix »
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline JamesD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 10:19:32 PM »
Baylee is correct about Andy at Addictive Archery. I buy my wooden arrows from him. He really knows his stuff.  High FOC will work on wood! Both me and my hunting partner shoot 300 up front on Douglas fir arrows. Our setup is paper tuned and bared shaft tuned to as accurate as can be achieved with wooden arrows. We shoot 200 grain broadheads and 100 hundred grain woody weights. It’s the same concept regardless of arrow type. Wood just acts differently. With wooden arrows you will be shooting a very heavy arrow to get 20% percent FOC up front (750 - 800 grains). You may not be able to find shafts spined high enough to do so with a 30” draw at 50lbs. I have a 30.5” draw and can only get 20% because I am shooting 41# at 30”. I would still shoot the woodies, even if you aren’t able to get to 20% FOC. They are great!  Be careful, you may get addicted to making them, like me. Andy has two great video series on YouTube that goes through the process.
Regular PBS Member

Offline Matt flint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 11:04:44 PM »
I do not feel any certain way about the foc I end up at. I got 375 in front of my longbow carbons, 220 in front of the aluminums just to get things flying right with the shafts I have available.
I do though need to stay pretty heavy, as I cant shake my incredibly low anchor so need weight to reduce my point on. Looks like shafts are somewhere in the 500 grain range. That should work out alright.
Ill buy my way into a built dozen to check things out. I absolutely intend on building my own though if I continue.
I appreciate all the input

Offline Baylee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2022, 12:15:07 AM »
JamesD, brings up a good point. While I don’t go for high FOC arrows it can be done with wood.It will usually make for a really heavy arrow. But if that’s what your looking for go for it. Once you find the right spine weight combo you like you can make them yourself.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2022, 08:36:53 AM »
To each their own, and whatever works best will be best, it's all good.

For me, arrow spine is defined mostly by the centershot of the bow.  At 1/4" past center, any heavy spined wood arrows @ 29-3/4" BOP for a 47@29 hybrid longbow will be fine.  Resulting woodies are in the 550-600 grain weight range and the FOC is whatever it is with 160 grain points.  I no longer get concerned about FOC.  I like strong, durable arrows shafts and usually go with Surewood Doug Fir.  I use reinforced self nocks and a custom burnt 3x5" feather fletch.  Life is still good, so far.

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2022, 09:03:21 AM »
Very nice arrows, Rob.

Offline LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2022, 10:39:22 AM »
Those are some wicked looking arrows Rob!!!! Beautiful!!!
Man those wood nocks even though beefed up give my the willies  :scared:

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2022, 10:49:07 AM »
Those are some wicked looking arrows Rob!!!! Beautiful!!!
Man those wood nocks even though beefed up give my the willies  :scared:

:nono:   Waaaay stronger than plastic nocks.  You might be surprised at just how much stronger.  Oh yeah, and ya never hafta worry about a loose or busted nock.  The only way to destroy a self nock is a direct Robin Hood ... fortunately, I rarely do that these dayze.  :saywhat:  :laugh:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2022, 10:52:35 AM »
The best Arrowsmith's are on Trad Gang it where I learned how to build wood arrows.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2022, 12:27:47 PM »
I agree with Rob about self nocks. All I've used in many years and never had one break, either self nocks with sinew or thread wrap or reinforced like Rob makes. They take a little longer to make but not that long and not worrying about broken nocks or damaged limbs is well worth the little time it takes to make them. I do self nocks with store bought shafting, hardwood shoot arrows or cane arrows, the only way to go. IMO
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2022, 03:32:00 PM »
Another suggestion:
Just call Paul Jalon at Elite arrows, (a sponsor here).  He’s been at it a long time and knows his stuff.  That is who Ron LaClair recommended to me, years ago.

I agree about the Surewood being great arrows, but I also really liked Sitka Spruce.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©