3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: broadheads for turkey  (Read 5700 times)

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: broadheads for turkey
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2007, 11:49:00 AM »
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Ga.boy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2007, 01:19:00 PM »
I'll bet this would make good turkey medicine.

Muzzy #285, 150 gr. 4 blade glue on.

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2007, 01:31:00 PM »
Curt and Joey (joebuck) both have a lot of turkey hunting experience....take notes and use what you think is best for you.

We are lucky to have guys like them with a wealth of experience to draw from.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2007, 08:15:00 PM »
Everyone has opinions based on their own experience.Just like most things,they will differ from person to person.

My big snuffers shoot as accurate as any other BH I've tried,I can shoot them side by side with field points,I'll show anyone that doubts that. I'll stick with bigger is better. I've also done well with the WW and wouldn't hesitate to use most other big ,multi bladed heads or a Muzzy multi bl. bh,I consider them the best non-fixed bh on the market. But of course you have to tune,just as you would with any other bh.....just my opinion.....

I didn't realize I was bowfishing all this time..   :rolleyes:    ;)    
My string tracker set up with the #30 string,doesn't hurt my accuracy one bit,again ,I'll prove to anyone that doubts.Of course there's always the chance of breakage,but that's a chance I'll take....again,just my opinion.....
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Duckbutt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »
So how do you go about getting the string tracker with the 30 lb string?

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2007, 09:14:00 PM »
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2007, 09:16:00 PM »
So broadheads and a string tracker....sounds like I might get into spring turkey again. Ya gotta love traditional gear....
Besides...I need to increase my wing feather stock.
Getting back to this thread....the biggest gobbler I ever shot was with a compound(before my "crossing over"). 27 or so yards...125 thunderhead out of an 84 # Jennings. Didnt go through either. I have also shot a  few more, once took off a wing completely...that bird ran about fifty yards and bled out. When the arrow hit(out of the same set up as above) it sliced the wing off completely and then deflected off and up into the trees.
I did have one pass through on a large hen, but I was very high in a treestand for that one.
I think if the set up works for you, stick with it and try to be as accurate as possible...I think a lot of stuff already mentioned rings true. Turkeys have a much smaller vital zone than many animals...that being said, I think a large cutting diameter BH would exploit any hit.
Either way, Im gonna be practicing like I know how...hoping to actually make it to full draw this spring.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2007, 09:19:00 PM »
Ga.Boy, you have the ultimate broadhead.  Deadhead with a Bear bleeder.  Unbelievable   :bigsmyl:   Tell me more   :D   ...Van

Hope you don't mind if I save a copy of your pic.  That's too cool  :wavey:  ...
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2007, 10:26:00 PM »

Duckbutt, #30 line for the Game Tracker unit I use can be bought at:

turkeyhuntingsecrets.com
Curt } >>--->   

Offline Ga.boy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2007, 11:38:00 PM »
Van, I bought 6 Deadheads on ebay in 2004 thinking they were original. When they arrived, I noticed the slots and asked my mentor, the late Bob Gosdeck about them. He had never seen them either so he asked Lamont Grainger at The Footed Shaft about them. Here is what I found out:

From:  "Bob" Add to Address Book Block Sender | Block Domain
Date:  2004/02/11 Wed AM 09:25:51 EST
To:  
Subject:  Fw: Deadhead

Chuck--  Here is what I found out about the broadhead!
             Bob
----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, February 11, 2004 8:15 AM
Subject: Deadhead

Bob,
The Ben Pearson Deadhead on the right is one that someone used a dremmel tool on and cut a slot in it.  It was quite common for people to do this years ago.  Bob Kadlec
(National archery Champion in the late 50's-early 60's from Rochester used this broadhead, slotted to take the heavy duty bleeder blade from the old Ace broadheads.
Cut deer in half!!
Lamont

As you can see, I hoard my emails. LOL. I only have the 1 slotted left, but I have six originals that I am going to get slotted as soon as I find someone with steady enough hands to do the job properly. I was thinking along the lines of the thicker bleeders like Simmons uses. I havn't used one yet, but plan to this year on turkey and Whitetail. They ought to be devestating.

Chuck
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2007, 08:36:00 AM »
I forgot to mention I use a 2 blade head and hide 2 of the prongs behind the blades. I have only lost 1 bird out of 19.
Guru, I shot the string ytacker a few times and didn't see any flight problems at all, until about 25 yards when the drop started. But thats to far for me anyway. I usually shoot 15 yds and in. You might get those snuffers to fly great. I can't. I always tell guys to use the setup they are used to and if it's a 2 blade like mine, do something to keep the arrow from going thru like the grasshopper. I shoot 60#. A 48 # bow wouldn't need the grasshopper. Anyway I hope he egts a good setup from all of our differences and kills a bird or 2.   :)
The hunt is the trophy!

Offline NCRecurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2007, 09:21:00 AM »
My turkey hunting experience with a bow is very limited.  I used a 125 grain snuffer last year and it did the job.  This year I'm working with a different bow and I've had to go to 125 grain razorcap to get the arrow flight I need.  Who would have thought there would be a difference in those two heads, go figure.  I used a string tracker for my hunt last year with the 17 lb line.  I chased the bird a long way (long story described in the link below) in a semicirle into a bottom and the string held in this one instance.  I used a tracker for deer hunting when I first started.  I like to use the old spools for practice and then shoot my new spools at least 3-5 times to increase the diameter of the inner hole of the spool.  The string seems to "flow" better that way.  I'm sure by taking all the advice given here and experimenting you will find what works best for you.

Good Luck,
Doug

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=032738

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2007, 09:32:00 AM »
Thanks Chuck  :wavey:   What an outstanding bit of knowledge there.  Very interesting about Bob Kadlec too.  I shot in a group behind him once in 1962.  He was was shooting freestyle class with tiny plastic vanes.  I think that was the first time I had seen that.  It was awesome watching him shoot......Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Offline Marty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2007, 01:52:00 PM »
Just curious, How many turkeys have Guru and Joebuck killed? And lost? I am not too proud to say that I have lost several birds and I had both pass thru's and arrows hanging in flight. Seems to me that arrow placement with a sharp BH is the answer.

Offline joebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2007, 02:40:00 PM »
Marty #1181, I will kill one more turkey than i have now if you don't let Biggie and his 4 guests blast them all opening weekend!
Aim down your arrow because thats where it's going.

Offline Doug S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2007, 03:08:00 PM »
Marty You are right. Thats why I tell guys not to change everything to hunt birds. I think Guru shoots those Snuffers well but I doubt if most  guys can shoot them acuratly enough to hit such a small target consistantly. I have tried and can't do it. Shoot what you shoot the best. If a grasshopper changed my flight even an inch I wouldn't use them. Even after practicing and practicing from the exact position I have when I am set up (sitting) I still blow shots , usually from turkey fever. Nice decoy Joebuck!
The hunt is the trophy!

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2007, 05:36:00 PM »
Doug,  I totally agree,the tracker is only good for about 25yds,that's about 10yds further than I care to shoot at one anyway.I've never shot at one over 20yds. I certainly don't use it as a means of making up for poor shooting.I shoot my big snuffers and heavy arrows at everything I hunt except on my elk hunt(W Woodsman) with my bud Peter Iacavazzi last year.......They fly like darts for me...that's why I use them. Just gotta tune them like you would any other bh. I can also (as stated earlier)shoot them beyond turkey killing range,with tracker attached the same as if it wasn't on........

Doug, why don't you "think most guys can get them to shoot well enough"?? Also why would anyone shoot a diff. BH,or add something to their arrow if it didn't fly good for them?

Trackers aren't for everyone,it's a personal choice just like anything else........has it helped me recover birds?......absolutely....so I'll keep using it.....

Marty, Not enough bud  :thumbsup: ....and yes I've lost 2.
One was I believe a low hit in the leg that just cut muscle and didn't break any bones.
The other was a direct hit on the wing butt(found bone from the "ball" of the wingbone) with a WW.Bird dropped like hit with a sledge! My mistake was I relaxed thinking that he was done,he never moved.Thirty seconds later he was up out of sight,taking string for about a minute.....I waited 2 hrs and followed up followed the line right to him after about 50yds found a tangle of line going all over the place.I knew he was right there,but couldn't see him in the rocks and blowdowns.Suddenly he jumped up and fell,tumbled,flopped down the hill in front of me and was out of sight and out of my life forever.The arrow had fallen out as moved around in those 2 hrs I'd waited.I even came back with my birddog..to no avail....

Hope you and Joey have a great hunt!!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Curt } >>--->   

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2007, 05:40:00 PM »
I have never taken a turkey with a stick bow. 15 yard shots with the bird not pegging you is AMAZING.   :notworthy:   I may have to try it this year.  :pray:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Tim Kosteczko

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2007, 06:09:00 PM »
Big Ron, had six jakes at five yards last year before i shot, was my first year with the bow and i am hooked forever.

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2007, 11:04:00 PM »
I haven't used this ACE 160 head for turkeys yet, but I have shot it enough to know that it can't be damaged,with the bleeder it is 200gr. I have also slotted the 160 gr STOS and used a Missle Spike bleeder blade

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©