3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow recommendations  (Read 1291 times)

Offline Elsecaller

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow recommendations
« on: January 12, 2022, 04:56:48 PM »
Hi all. I figure you are all a wealth of knowledge and experience so I'm looking for advice/recommendations.

I currently have a 50 lb Samick Sage takedown that I use for target shooting and hunting. Honestly, I love it but I'd also like to branch out and get another bow I can use for hunting as well.

I'm looking for something under $800 for limbs and riser together. Something durable and mobile that shoots quiet and accurate. I prefer mostly wood bows, bonus points if it's got some Bois D'arc in it.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 05:13:57 PM by Elsecaller »

Offline Flbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow recommendations
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 05:42:23 PM »
Are you looking for another recurve or a longbow? Hybrid? Takedown? Length?  Might help the guys with more experience than I point you in the right direction. I liked my sage for a long time but recently started shooting an old mountain mesa that I love.

Offline Elsecaller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 06:03:21 PM »
I’m kind of open for anything. I love my recurve, but I could be persuaded to try another type of bow. I know that makes it more difficult to make recommendations, but I don’t want to needlessly close myself from something that could be great.

Offline mec lineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 06:52:10 PM »
My suggestion is to buy a really nice used bow in the specs you want. Trust me you can buy a great used bow at a good price and move it on down the line if your not impressed. Once you find something that you like,  then consider buying a  new one of its likeness.
"Pick a spot,now aim 6" lower!"                        
Caribow taiga ex
Tall Tines Stickflinger
Yellowstone Halfbreed

P.B.S  member

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 07:22:10 PM »
I agree with the used bow recommendation. It is amazing what good buys you can find if you look around.  I've seen some Black Widows sell for about $800.

If you are a left-handed shooter there's a site called Lefties R Us that specializes in LH bows.

If I were you I'd spend $35 to gain access to the classifieds here. I've bought and sold many a bow from that portal.

One of my favorite recurves is a Wolf (carbon riser) with wood/carbon limbs from Lancaster archery. If I recall it was about $800.

Good luck!

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 07:50:26 PM »
I think you could find quite a few custom bows for less than 800$.Some will be over your budget.You my not want too many options or expensive woods to keep the bow at more of a base price

You might start by looking at all the bowyers on the Sponsers List of Tradgang and look at the bows and prices and maybe start narrowing it down from thier.Then ask questions about the bows you are interested  in here on tradgang or other sites and see if that helps steer you toward a bow.

Not sure where you live but thier is a traditional show in kalamazoo Michigan in late january where you could try out custom bows.So you can try before you buy and thier are used bows for sale thier as well.

Buying second hand can be a good option as well if you can find the right bow in the right specs.Or run a wanted add for a given bow and see if you get responses.

Buying custom can be tricky as far as being totally satisfied with what you choose if you have not tried the bow out before.You might be totally happy or have buyers remorse.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 08:09:41 PM »
In for the ride.  I'm not much help.  All the bows I own and love are not longer being made.  Better be careful with them!  I will say if you run across a used MOAB go for it!!!
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Elsecaller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2022, 08:20:05 PM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I was looking at the Dryad Orion bows, but I'm having a hard time finding a price for them. The website doesn't give a price, or I'm too stupid to find it :biglaugh:

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2022, 09:11:07 PM »
I think Stalker Sticbows bought out Dyrad.

Offline Elsecaller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2022, 09:24:28 PM »
So they did!

Hmm.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2022, 09:28:36 PM »
I bought some 65 pound Dryad limbs for a ilf rig I have. They are good performers.

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2022, 09:49:12 PM »
A lot of folks pay the big price then sell them when the bow wasn't the magic answer.
I support the used route.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2022, 10:53:09 PM »
They have some nice traditional shoots in Pennsylvania in the Summer.Typically many bowyers at the shoots.

One I used to go was at Denton Hill PA.It was a big deal when I went.If thier still having it I would check it out since its in your backyard.You could try alot! of bows

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2022, 05:20:21 AM »
I am been through some hundreds of bows and most shoot as good as you can. The best choice as it’s already been said to look for a used great reviewed bow. Most here are in like new conditions..
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Elsecaller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2022, 09:35:47 AM »
They have some nice traditional shoots in Pennsylvania in the Summer.Typically many bowyers at the shoots.

One I used to go was at Denton Hill PA.It was a big deal when I went.If thier still having it I would check it out since its in your backyard.You could try alot! of bows

Nice, only a few hours drive. I'll definitely check that out.

Offline Elsecaller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2022, 09:37:18 AM »
I am been through some hundreds of bows and most shoot as good as you can. The best choice as it’s already been said to look for a used great reviewed bow. Most here are in like new conditions..

Yeah, after looking through some used bow listings that definitely seems like the choice I'm going to make, but I'm going to see if I can get out to a shoot as well and see if I can get anything in my hand to test it out.

Offline beemann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2022, 12:26:14 PM »
One of the best values out there is a Black Widow from the late 80's early 90's.  You can find one for 500-600 dollars and they will shoot with the best out there... Great value I have two and they are still going strong.... good luck.

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2022, 01:37:30 PM »
I have an order in for a Timberhawk Odyssey Hunter TD--$649 brand spanking new and Scott is a great guy to deal with.  You might want to check him out.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 05:26:44 PM by David Mitchell »
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Gregory P. Pearson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2022, 03:58:05 PM »
Don't know how far you are from Kalamazoo, but you could find a lot of different bows to try there in one place? If there is no hurry,wait and try to get to some shoots this summer and like some one said, if you buy a bow and you can't make friends with it, you can sell and try another one. Good luck on the journey!
Greg

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©