3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deer hunting tree stand , ground or saddle ?  (Read 2001 times)

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deer hunting tree stand , ground or saddle ?
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2022, 07:46:33 PM »
You need to hunt the wind. Need to move as seasons and food sources change. In order to do that you’d either need lots of permanent type set ups (blinds, hang ins, etc) or just one climber. I’ve got a bunch and that’s what I mostly use. The convenience of something already being there is nice, so is just climbing out and going home. I believe way too often we wouldn’t sit there if we had to chose each day. Permanent sets limit us and often lower our odds. I personally get out of bed and exert myself climbing a mountain each day with the intent on being where I want to be or need to be not somewhat close to that point.
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2022, 09:36:23 AM »
I do a little ground ambush hunting if the situation dictates, however I’m primarily a tree stand hunter. Up until the last two years it’s been tree sticks and lone wolf or Chippewa Wedgelok style stands. Hang and hunts, pre-set, and lots of all day sits. For the last two years I’ve been hunting predominately out of a tree saddle and been very successful with it. The biggest thing the saddle does for me is I’m more mobile, and the trees you can setup in are endless which opens up options for being stickbow close to where you know you need to be… Both my 2020 & 2021 bucks were taken during all day rut sits via tree saddle. I’m quite certain it’s not for everyone but it’s another “tool” in the arsenal… :campfire:

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2022, 10:57:45 AM »
I never had much success with spot and stalk. I have always been a bit clumsy and sound like an elephant walking through corn flakes. Only when the woods have been very wet have I had any success with stealth. I have had a little success with ground blinds, but I was not able to sit still for long at a time. Most of my success has been in elevated stands. I like both ladder stands and several of the homemade platforms I have used over the years. For newer hunters I recommend starting in elevated stands. Generally, they will see more animals in the early going. Nonetheless, if you've never hunted from the ground, you ain't really deer hunted the hard way. As I get older and my balance is not as good, I am spending more time earthbound. I now fidget much less than I used to do. Now, if I could just control my snoring...
Sam

Offline Onski316

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2022, 01:23:06 PM »
I switched to a saddle this year. Took a doe out of it with my SuperK. That was different for sure. I don't like hang ons because I'm not fond of heights. Climbers are ok, they give me a sense of security with the frame that wraps around but are bulky and I always seemed to hit my bow or arrow on it. I used ground blinds for years but the deer have wised up to it and now check them out like a hawk. Can't get away with anything in them anymore. It's almost better for me to set up a pop up blind opposite my tree stand. I can get away with anything that way. That said, for some reason the saddle with a back-up tether makes me feel very safe and pretty comfy too. I'm a fidgeter so it lets me move around more, change position. The only downside I find is the setup and take down. Not as easy as climbing into a pop up or up a tree into a hang on for sure.

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2022, 01:56:30 PM »
Not a saddle fan for several reasons but I haven't used one since the 90s so maybe they are better now.  That said I prefer ladder stands.  Tripods work if the cover situation is right.  I have several fold up models I can move around.  Blinds work well for me especially in the right spots like tight funnels and crossings or here in Texas at feeders.
Pop up blinds are deadly in the right situations but they have to be up well in advance.  Even brushed in well deer seem to pick them out and avoid them.
I like being up 12 to 15 feet if possible.  I hate the idea of falling but being at heights doesn't bother me.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Online toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2022, 07:35:21 PM »
Last 10 years ground hunt for flexibility.  Once I get a spot figured out since hunt public then go to my saddle.

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2022, 08:35:43 PM »
Hang and Hunt is 70% of how we hunt each fall on public- Beast Stand - Simmons Woodpecker drill and or Hawk Helium sticks

Screaming Eagle Harness I think 36 years now - and now with a second ‘line w ascender’ to get around big limbs safely.

Run a few Chippewa stands on private and clubs

Looking at just the last three seasons I got 10 out of 20 deer on the ground. I don’t get the steady fronts moving through that I like very often but when I do hunting on the ground is deadly. Hunted the ground first few times simply because I was too tired to climb after scouting all day and ended up getting a deer. So I keep doing it. Shocked me how good it is.

And started using a collapsible wheel cart to carry all my stuff in and out when I’m not using water entry (kayak or johnboat) these wheels have definitely added years to my hang and hunt routine. I am often over a mile from a gate.

Friend / Kentucky I am very impressed with your blinds set up. Obvious that you are willing to put in the work. I learned something THANKS
<><
<———————-<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline electricstart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2022, 10:02:56 AM »
I hated Heights Myself but realized I had to go up to kill deer my area mostly hardwoods and very smart whitetail . Started out with a Baker climber and my own hangons and safety belt .I look back and wonder how I did not get hurt . When Loggy bayou climbing stand and safety harness came out I think that was a game changer . But today feel much safer with the new equipment available .I see a few guys use the Chippewa stand ,Great stand . I use ladder mostly Now do to my age and health .I do still use the summit climber and lone wolf hang on when needed . Was looking at the beast stand because it is so light but expensive too . I have tried saddle was not for me but younger guys could be great tool . I have killed a few deer from ground and respect anyone that can do that on consistent basis .Especially spot and stalk very hard with stick bow  .
« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 10:16:44 AM by electricstart »

Offline Larry Dean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2022, 05:34:27 PM »
Back in the 60s I built a very fancy castle in the sky tree stand on private land, never shot a deer from it, I shaved one twice one day. Then one day a bully declared it was his, so instead of shooting him out of it, i went up the hill and watched, figuring I would deal with him later. Then I saw a horizontal figure rapidly descending from my stand, with a scream about 10 feet from the ground followed by a thud. I didn't need to deal with him later. Stands like the Lone Wolf climber are much safer and more woods friendly by not cluttering up public woods. A tree stand or ladder stand does not equal a no trespassing sign in Iowa public woods, even though many act like it is.

Offline Whiteoak63

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2022, 05:58:19 PM »
I have been using mostly hang on stands for 25 plus years and most of that time with tree spurs. However when I started my son hunting about ten years ago I spent a lot of time in a hub style ground blind and he killed 10 plus deer from them before he started hunting from tree stands.
Some of my favorite hunting memories come from sitting with him in the ground blinds. Learned a lot and it is good to know I will be able to hunt for a while longer in life once I can’t get in the trees anymore.
I had a lot of preconceived thoughts that did not hold true. One was that deer will shy away from a blind that is not brushed in and there for awhile. I have trail cam pics from blinds multiple times the same day they were set.
The draw backs are they are hard to see from and you need all the windows but one closed to not be silhouetted.
56” Black Widow PCH-X 49# @ 27
58” Toelke Whistler 46# @ 27
Pearson Hunter 45# @ 28
1974 Bear Grizzly 46#@ 28
1969 Bear Kodiak Magnum 40# @ 28
Hunting in Gods Country.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©