3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 3D Deer targets  (Read 2104 times)

Offline kenboonejr

• Trad Bowhunter
3D Deer targets
« on: January 21, 2022, 10:44:24 PM »
Hey guys in my younger days I had a lot of 3D targets.  Got them used from the club I was in and was able to have a pretty nice setup.  Been awhile since I bought one and now I am out so I need (want) one.  The thing is the last target I bought had plastic legs.  The McKenzies from 20 years ago had foam legs, then they went to plastic.  The problem is the plastic legs are a real pain if you hit it.  I know I know don't hit it.  :biglaugh:  Anyway, trying to do a little googling and coming up empty.  Do you guys happen to know of any 3D deer targets that do not have the plastic legs?   I am hoping someone still makes one.
Thanks,

Bisch

Re: 3D Deer targets
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 11:19:59 PM »
McKenzie makes deer targets without the plastic legs. Rinehart also makes deer targets with no plastic legs.

Bisch

Offline R. Fletcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2022, 02:04:39 AM »
I have a Rinehart Broadhead Buck target.  The legs on it are not plastic BUT they are foam with a metal rod in the middle.  The vitals have a hard plastic tube in the lower front and lower rear that hold the vitals in and in the bottom front of the vitals where a lower heart shot would be is a chunk of metal to reinforce the target.  The entire target is self healing foam and in that respect is one of the best I have owned.  An impact at any of the places I mentioned above is almost a guaranteed broken arrow and in that respect is the worst I have owned.  I can't recommed this one for that reason unless you are good enough that you only hit the middle of the vitals.  It would probably be a great target for a compound or crossbow shooter with sights, though.  I also had a big shooter buck target.  Stay away from that one.  It has plastic legs and is not durable.  I purchased one last year and shot it in two within a month.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2022, 06:15:02 AM »
Fletcher..... was that with field points?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline R. Fletcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 07:04:28 AM »
Yes, just field points.  I even kept it tarped when not shooting to keep the sun from eating it up and after a couple months finally just fell apart.  It was poor from the beginning.  The head would fall off.  The legs didn't fit right and would come loose.
The Broadhead Buck would be a great target if it wasn't for all the reinforcing material around the vitals and the metal molded into the leg.  The entire target is one piece including the head and legs.  The antlers are held on by a puny little magnet the size of a watch battery and will not stay put but I'm not afraid to shoot a doe so that doesn't bother me.  The entire target is self-healing foam and is very durable.  I ordered one of these online and about two days after receiving it a second one showed up at the house.  The company had no record of sending the second so said to keep it.  That target is still in the box.  Once I decide to use it I think I'm going to gut the metal and hard plastic out of it and either hang the target or cut the legs off and set it on a bail.

Offline kenboonejr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 10:12:14 AM »
R. Fletcher.. Man I didn't realize they had metal rods running in those targets.  I guess I just like the targets from 20 years ago better ;)

Bisch - Do you know which models of McKenzie do not have plastic legs by chance?  It looks like maybe the Hoosier Daddy Buck or the Baby Daddy Buck might have foam legs.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2022, 10:25:27 AM »
Check out the Big Jim target from Lancaster archery. I got one and haven’t shot it a lot but it seems really nice. I’ve got an older McKenzie mule deer target I’ve have for 20 years. It’s held up well. I painted it last year and it sits out year round. Also have an R&W target that’s held up well. Stay away from anything with plastic legs.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline kenboonejr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2022, 06:46:48 PM »
Anybody have experience with a BigShot RealWild 3d target by chance?

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 12:52:19 PM »
Real wild at least the last ones I saw had foam legs. It’s what my club uses for 3D
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2022, 04:54:57 PM »
When a Rinehart manufacturing employee leaves work at the end of the day, they leave their work shoes in the locker room.

Online evgb127

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2022, 08:18:44 PM »
Anybody have experience with a BigShot RealWild 3d target by chance?

BigShot is a great company and their targets last.  They don’t use plastic legs.
-EVG

Offline kenboonejr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2022, 11:20:57 AM »
Nice Shoes there!

Yea after checking out all the great suggestions I think I am going to try the Big Shot RealWild deer target.

Thanks guys!

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2022, 04:16:03 PM »
Have you looked at this one?
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline kenboonejr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2022, 04:21:08 PM »
I was under the impression that the Glendel had plastic legs.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2022, 03:44:45 AM »
Idk if gcook ever used a Glendel but I have and had no luck. The one I used was terrible. The back above the center was way too thin and broke after a bit. I think the legs were plastic too if I remember right but don’t quote me on that. Was only 4 years ago but I was going through some things medically than that screwed some memory. I’d never personally consider one again
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again

Offline kenboonejr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2022, 09:27:08 AM »
@Bowguy67 - yea I saw similar things about the Glendel from others posts about them online.  I think I am going to go with the BigShot RealWild target this time.  It sounds like in general they don't make these targets like they did 30 years ago.  This McKenzies way back when lasted a long time.

Online beemann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2022, 01:59:52 PM »
If you want something that lasts along time get a Rinehart.  I have a bunch that are out from June till January and some are going on ten years old never needed a replacement vital in all that time .  They are expensive but you get what you pay for...

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2022, 04:03:13 PM »
I've never used a 3D target better than Rinehart.  I have a Glendale, glad I didn't buy it. Legs are foam but different foam than the insert. They are difficult to keep together after a while. Foam doesn't heal very well.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2022, 07:02:20 PM »
If you want something that lasts along time get a Rinehart.  I have a bunch that are out from June till January and some are going on ten years old never needed a replacement vital in all that time .  They are expensive but you get what you pay for...

Rinehart is good so don’t mistake what I’m saying but what drives me nuts about them is the shape/anatomy. Like some beginner designed them or something. Good material but the pride of the finished product is lacking.
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2022, 07:05:06 PM »
I shot an older model Glendell.  It didn't have plastic legs.   It was thin at the back though and that was an issue.  However we shot it with compounds and it took a lot of abuse.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©