3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: turkey with bow or bust!  (Read 2845 times)

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: turkey with bow or bust!
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2022, 12:48:56 PM »
Many years ago I read a statement accredited to Fred Bear that turkey is one animal best suited to the shotgun. I'm beginning to believe it.
Sam

Offline BRONZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2022, 09:19:53 PM »
I've only killed 6 birds...4 with wheels years ago. I've taken 2 after I switched back to recurve only, but there was a 7 year gap between them. Crazy challenging with sticks and no blind. Bird from last year...

"He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze."
2 Samuel 22:35

Wheatland Christian Bowhunters--Chairman

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2022, 07:02:36 AM »
thank you all for the encouragement! as i said its the love of the game if i get one with my bow well thats the icing on my turkey hunting cake! cant wait for opening day i have the first 2 weeks of May off!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Online BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2022, 07:37:03 AM »
I have never claimed to be a good turkey hunter, but I have been a pretty good turkey killer!

Most of my birds have been taken with a blind, but in the past, I wasn't against run and gun using just a leaning tree seat. In need of a new hip and back, I'm likely not going to do well in compromising positions for long periods of time so the blind will have to do.

Last year I finished my slam but have taken several easterns as well. All of my birds were taken with a trad bow except my very first .. it was almost my last as it did very little for me.

When asked, I advise guys to use the biggest broadhead that they can get to fly, and when possible, shoot them in the hips!

A bird that can't run, can't fly... and he also can't run! The only bird of mine that went over 10 yards was shot through the back.. missing his spine. He went about 60 yards and tucked in to a brush pile to die.

The other secret is... Don't miss!

I'm going to try for another slam, but all done in 1 year. Just an excuse to get out more. It's nice having customers/friends with opportunities!

Good luck Ken, BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline hawkeye n pa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2022, 08:38:52 AM »
Been a long time since I shot a gobbler with a shotgun.  Using the recurve has been very challenging but I'm glad the grocery store isn't very far.   I don't use a blind either and have had some very close misses / blown chances.  Couple of years ago I'm in my leafy jacket with three hens pecking near my feet and the gobbler struts behind the tree I'm against.  Can't get'm any closer and NOT shoot!
Jeff
>>>>---------->
Fear of the Lord is the beginning of Wisdom.

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2022, 09:22:03 PM »
Hate em.  Hunted them for a long time killing dozens with shotguns (Texas and Missouri) then realized how much I hate cleaning and eating them.  Wanted to kill one with a bow.  Tried for years without blinds using a compound with no luck.
Killed two with a recurve from a blind.  Although I'm an opportunist killer I've let a lot of them walk (our place is over run with them) the last few years.  But every now and again I can't help myself and . . .
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2022, 09:41:29 PM »
Many years ago I read a statement accredited to Fred Bear that turkey is one animal best suited to the shotgun. I'm beginning to believe it.

There’s def some truth to that. So many variables w any bow. If someone had lots time, lots of birds and lots of opportunity it’s doable no question. In the 80s my state made you chose whether you were using bow or gun. I always chose bow. Wasn’t nearly as successful as when I hunted other states or even my own state  using a gun. From that time til now I’ve prob avg 3 birds a year. Some years better but add to that by early 2000 I had helped others to 50 plus birds, not sure what I’m at now. Two were bow shot. Guess I ain’t that good, don’t have the needed time or opportunity. Awesome trick when done on purpose especially when not a blind/decoy set. If that’s the direction it’ll way up the odds. Most around here are dumb luck fall birds walk under guys tree stand hunting deer but in the spring the pressure is heavy. Very noble animal and great hunt no matter how that animal is taken except long range type shooting
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online Yooper-traveler

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2022, 12:03:52 PM »
I was skunked in spring, very few birds near me and little time.  I did get lucky for our fall season.  I was stumping where a swamp transitions into some pine and eventually oaks.  I had sat down to lace a boot and was watching a deer trail for a bit when I caught sight of a several hens poking about. 

I was able to stand between two pines and grab my broad-head tipped arrow.  I got lucky as I had scrub pine behind and around me so it made a great spot.  I never thought they would get within range but the ladies were interested in scratching in some pine needles.  Eventually I could hear them talking as they walked right by me.  There I was wearing a yellow and black checkered carhartt and no face mask.  I believe the only reason I got off a shot was because these were young hens.  The lead hen was probably mother to most of her flock.  I was able to draw and release just as the lead hen started to cluck in alarm. 

Thankfully I made a good shot and caught the last hen above her legs.  As l peeked around the tree I was surprised to see that the hens hadn’t scattered but were watching the arrowed bird.  They stayed with her until I moved out from the pines.  It all happened so fast I was a bit surprised how it worked out.

Klaatu, Verata, Nicto

Offline Jerry Russell

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2022, 01:31:50 PM »
Turkey hunting without a blind is extremely difficult and a supreme challenge.  I know guys that have been trying it for a decade without success.  Hats off to those that give it a go. 

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2022, 04:44:19 PM »
Turkey hunting without a blind is extremely difficult and a supreme challenge.  I know guys that have been trying it for a decade without success.  Hats off to those that give it a go.

This^^^

I have taken exactly one Tom without a blind .  But I haven't had to pack many out, all the fun and none of the work!! :goldtooth:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2022, 06:24:31 PM »
You know the mountain, Brother!!
Find yourself a strut-zone on a ridge... If you find it, they will come  :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2022, 11:27:53 PM »
Have never taken one with a firearm....

Have only taken one gob without a blind after several years of trying back in the late 80's and early 90's...

I depend on natural, permanent and popup ground blinds. Will be attempting to harvest number 36 this season.

>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Ken Sorg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2022, 12:11:45 AM »
A Turkey is my one and only recurve trophy,,,,so far

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2022, 04:26:38 AM »
Hate em.  Hunted them for a long time killing dozens with shotguns (Texas and Missouri) then realized how much I hate cleaning and eating them.  Wanted to kill one with a bow.  Tried for years without blinds using a compound with no luck.
Killed two with a recurve from a blind.  Although I'm an opportunist killer I've let a lot of them walk (our place is over run with them) the last few years.  But every now and again I can't help myself and . . .

How can you hate eating them? One of the best meats. How are you cooking it?
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2022, 04:41:04 AM »
I’ve killed lots turkeys, not even tried with a styk. I’m typically spending lots of the season mentoring kids, filming hunts, etc. I wish you well and wish we had more birds cause I’d try I believe.
Anyhow, to the dekes. Guys there are differing ways to use dekes. One is as a primary draw. In the big woods as stated I don’t see how turkeys can’t see them. Almost impossible early season with some though as to placement.  The other is to help your shot materialize where you need it to. Turkey will respond to them and put them exactly where you want. I’m not selling anyone on the decoy thing, I understand someone not wanting to use blinds or decoys. I understand the self limitation and accomplishment thing. Just don’t want anyone reading to think it won’t help. Some here said they haven’t killed a bird yet. It’ll help.
Myself I hunted many years with no dekes. I use them now as I’m deaf in one ear. Can’t tell direction and it gives me a place to look cause really often they wind up right at them.
I remember last year I was hunting near my house. I was filming from a blind. I don’t preset anything. So I was filming a hen and she walked off. I put camera down. Looked back into blind window it was black. Nothing but turkey feathers. Two longbeards at 4 yards going at my decoys. Only one walked away but even gobbling I’d never know where they were since I can’t triangulate sound. Decoys help put them where you want
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 01, 2022, 09:12:38 AM »

:biglaugh:
I don't even like turkey sandwiches.  We used to cut the bread into strips and chicken fry it.  That was decent but after 4 cardiac incidents andb5 stents I don't do chicken fried much anymore.
Turkey salad sandwich isn't too bad I guess but I give them to my pastor if I kill one.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline dhaverstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 01, 2022, 09:38:58 AM »
I've only killed one spring Eastern with a bow and it was the same year I killed a moose with a bow. Of the two, the turkey was the bigger trophy to me!

I was lucky enough to arrow an Ocellated in Mexico in 2020 and I'm going back to Mexico this year to hunt Gould's. I'm thinking about changing up my broadheads for that hunt. What fixed blade heads do you all recommend? Looking at the Abowyer Whitetail head for the cutting diameter.

Darren

Offline Elsecaller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2022, 09:40:09 AM »
Make your own dekes and blinds from handmade and natural materials, then I don't see why that wouldn't still fit into a traditional approach.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 01, 2022, 10:00:48 AM »

:biglaugh:
I don't even like turkey sandwiches.  We used to cut the bread into strips and chicken fry it.  That was decent but after 4 cardiac incidents andb5 stents I don't do chicken fried much anymore.
Turkey salad sandwich isn't too bad I guess but I give them to my pastor if I kill one.

Gotcha can’t help ya there than. Was gonna offer an idea or so
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2022, 10:02:30 AM »
Make your own dekes and blinds from handmade and natural materials, then I don't see why that wouldn't still fit into a traditional approach.

Indians used tons of decoy techniques. It’s plenty traditional. Imo that shouldn’t be a giant concern against any
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©