3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: turkey with bow or bust!  (Read 2863 times)

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: turkey with bow or bust!
« Reply #40 on: February 01, 2022, 10:12:11 AM »
Gcook, my buddy has a similar dislike for mergansers but came up w a recipe he can live with. He breasts the bird, puts it in foil, salt, pepper, a little olive oil. Wraps it and bakes it at 350 I think 20 minutes or something.
He than takes it out to cool, removes breast from foil. Throws out breast and eats foil. Maybe that’ll help you
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline Elsecaller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2022, 01:12:12 PM »
Make your own dekes and blinds from handmade and natural materials, then I don't see why that wouldn't still fit into a traditional approach.

Indians used tons of decoy techniques. It’s plenty traditional. Imo that shouldn’t be a giant concern against any

Exactly.

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2022, 05:31:13 PM »
Dhaverstick
Simmons shark with a V cut into the tip. This insures the arrow goes straight. It prevents the arrow from glancing. It eliminates any stiff quill from throwing the arrow off impact.
I’ve killed three gobblers.
I’ve only released three arrows at gobblers.
If that helps.

And for others getting started
I love using two decoys one hen and one jake, and I fresh bright paint the red and white on the jake and the light blue on the hen every year. Wouldn’t waste time hunting without them.
I’ve called in dozens but I only take a shot at 5 yards, or less
I always shoot center of mass.
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2022, 08:40:41 PM »
Gcook, my buddy has a similar dislike for mergansers but came up w a recipe he can live with. He breasts the bird, puts it in foil, salt, pepper, a little olive oil. Wraps it and bakes it at 350 I think 20 minutes or something.
He than takes it out to cool, removes breast from foil. Throws out breast and eats foil. Maybe that’ll help you
🤣😂🤣  Like the cedar plank recipe for salmon.  Once cooked eat the plank and discard the salmon!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 01:43:02 PM by GCook »
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2022, 04:37:32 PM »
15 years ago, I made the decision to just use longbow to take Turkeys.  It is not for the new or faint hearted.  It can be done, took 9 with bow so far (Spring/Fall).  It is challenging but a whole lot of fun.  Never been one to use pop up blinds.  I will usually get a bird working, then use woodsmanship to set up in front of direction of travel then ambush them. 

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2022, 08:26:01 PM »
If they are as smart as our mountain birds its gonna be tough. Plus the turkey population here is really dropping.

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2022, 06:47:37 AM »
As far as decoys and traditional go I’d say your ok.  They found some waterfowl decoys in a cave in Nevada in the 20’s and they were constructed of reeds and clay etc, and they estimated them to be 2,400 years old.
Tim B

Offline heartshoth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 06, 2022, 09:22:40 PM »
I've been using an ASAT 3D suit with GREAT RESULTS
BLACK WIDOW PSR X 2
KEMPF QWYKSTYK  X 2
Zipper SXT

Offline Mad Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 06, 2022, 10:20:21 PM »
It is a challenge. I had the same goal in mind and was able to pull it off so I know you will do it. I made an A-frame out of sticks though and brushed it in, I was having trouble with the birds detecting me as I was drawing. What worked for me was waiting until the bird turned and was full strut, allowing me to get the butt shot.

Using the sun so its always on your back helps too, they have a hard time seeing just like we do when the sun is directly at our face.

Have fun this year.

Here is some inspiration lol

Offline Larry Dean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2022, 12:26:22 PM »
Down in central Iowa for a few days, there are a lot more turkeys here than back home. The biologists told me that blackhead disease took out one our biggest flocks and that predators like skunks, possums and other egg eaters are responsible for the generally low numbers where I use to hunt them. I got a few weeks to think about it, maybe the crappies are calling me.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©