3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cleaning Up a New to Me Thunderbird.  (Read 1211 times)

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Cleaning Up a New to Me Thunderbird.
« on: January 23, 2022, 08:24:51 AM »
I recently bought a 52" Thunderbird; 43# @ 28".  I wanted one of these as a kid, but couldn't afford it. So, I paid twice as much as that one 50 years ago.  :goldtooth:

It is in decent shape with a bit of crazing, old paint splotches, straight limbs, no chips or cracks. It is black Micarta/Phenolic.

I'd like to clean it up to as good as new as I can. I've done some researching at it seems this is what I must do?

1. Get the bits of paint (only about 1-2% of bow has paint) with lightly rubbed acetone.
2. Lightly sand (220) the entire bow.
3. Finish sand with 000 steel wool.
4. Mechanical buff it to a semi-gloss.

I definitely don't want to booger this bow up. I'd be sick. Are the steps I've listed above proper?

In fact, I'd be willing to invest a bit more and send it to someone who does great work, if anyone knows someone?

I bought this bow for two reasons:
A. I always wanted one
B. I want to make sure I have a bow or two I can shoot as I age.

I've attached a few pictures to illustrate general condition.

Thanks

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cleaning Up a New to Me Thunderbird.
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2022, 09:38:31 AM »
  I've refinished three of them and they come out beautiful on top of being a wonderful shooting bow and fast. I use 100 grit paper and take the old finish completely off. Sand around the decals and take a picture of the lettering on the riser so you can put back the same lettering later. Next go to 200 then 320 and finally 400. Make sure you have no scratch marks left from earlier paper. Take a wet wash rag and wash the bow off till clean and then dry. If you have any holes now is the time to fill them. I mix use a drill bit (size depends on size of hole) and with my finger light turn the bit just to put a chamfer on the edge of the hole. Then fill to with in a 1/16" of the top. The last filling should be epoxy mixed with India ink. Sand smooth again. Then I use Wipe on gloss finish. You can get it  at Walmart. Then I use gun cleaning patches to apply the Wipe On. It will take between 7-9 coats to get a beautiful black ,gloss finish but, it will look great. Then put your lettering back on and your good to go. Two tips, a thin coat with no runs is always better than a thick and I hang mine bow by the top string grove to apply the finish . My favorite bow and my go to for everything!
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2022, 09:58:49 AM »
Ben,
This is perfect, just what I need!

My greatest concern was the "Micarta", if I could sand it like I would wood. I do a lot of woodworking. Looks like I can.

I will follow your advice from above. I'm going to Walmart in a few minutes, I'll look for that Wipe on you mention. I am very excited about getting this bow in as good a shape as I can.

Thanks!

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2022, 10:09:10 AM »
Looking forward to the finished project. Please post pictures when you are done.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2022, 10:54:49 AM »
  Roy, On one of them I wiped the riser down carefully with the India ink avoiding any contact with the wood inlay. To see if it made it any bolder black but, that was really unnecessary as there is not much difference if any of the brilliance of the black micarta when the Wipe On goes on. When sanding the fiberglass limbs as well as the riser you will see a dull look as you get the old finish sanded off and is a good indicator of when the finish is all off.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2022, 12:08:13 PM »
Thanks I just picked everything from Lowe’s. I’m going to take some pictures of the process to share.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 03:21:43 PM »
I spent a few hours today sanding on the Thunderbird today.

I used 80, 120, 220, 400, and 1,000 grit sandpaper. It was more difficult than I thought it would be.  All black limbs and riser show every thing!

Once finished with the sanding, or at least I'm hoping, I put the first coat of Wipe On (oil based).  I put it on as folks have suggested, very thin expecting to apply more than 6-dozen coats when finished.

It doesn't appear the hairline finish cracK(?) at the back of the limb riser interface (going through the pair of stabilizer holes) won't be hidden.  However, if not an integrity issue, and I don't think it is, I can live with that.

After the first coat I'm encouraged.  I'll take pictures after every coat or two and of course the finished product. I'll use scotch card "between coats" pads and a scotch coat final coat pad when all done.

I taped over the Logo and the bow name. I didn't tape over specs. I'm going to write those back on when finished.

I'm figuring, if I mess this up it's all cosmetic and I'll just paint it.  :goldtooth:

Offline Sam Spade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 03:39:38 PM »
Very nice.

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 04:20:27 PM »
FYI, that is a 1967 year model.

Be careful with your sanding on the limb surfaces so you don't disturb the bows tiller.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 05:11:17 PM »
Thanks for the caution and information about the year.

I was very careful not to take much off the limbs for fear of tiller or draw weight impacts.

I should have measured the draw weight before so I could see if I changed anything, but I didn't think of it.

I just applied 2nd coat. Very easy.  I'll post another picture after 3rd coat tomorrow morning. I'm planning on 2 coats/day for 3-4 days.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2022, 05:41:05 PM »
 The longitudinal cracks on the limbs by the quiver mounts is typical and I don't worry with them. The lettering with specs. on the riser I remove then put it back on at the end of finishing or put the lettering on then wait a week for it to cure completely then, put a final coat on. You don't need to tape over the Wing decal or the Thunderbird. It is best to cover them with each new coat of Wipe On. Otherwise when you remove the tape when finished there will be a ridge around them that will need to be feathered out and then there is a chance you will damage them. I'd remove the tape and finish over them, that's what I do. Looking good!

Offline stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2022, 06:09:57 PM »
I sanded this one down, filled some cracks with 420 and used 6 coats of Wipe-On poly gloss. I was pleased with the way it turned out.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2022, 06:29:13 PM »
Very nice bow. I did remove tape and am applying coats over those. You can tell they weren’t sanded but small price to have them remain. I can’t believe I waited so long to do something like this.

Offline ca

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2022, 05:48:30 AM »
Very nice looking bow.
No Country for Old Men

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2022, 03:36:51 PM »
I've finished after 5 coats with the Thunderbird clean-up.  I'm pretty satisfied. I could have done more sanding I think and maybe more than 5 coats. It is so much better than when I bought it now though.

I put it on my digital scale. At my 26" draw it pulls 38#s. I suppose that would be around 43-44 at 28".  Pretty cool since this 54-year old bow reads 43#@28" on the riser!

Thanks for the advice and direction!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©