Author Topic: Hickory for limb lams?  (Read 2602 times)

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hickory for limb lams?
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2022, 10:03:34 AM »
Any body heat treated Hickory?

Resaw, heat treat, glue up like boo flooring :dunno:
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline Appalachian Hillbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2022, 10:10:59 AM »
Where I get my lumber offers  "thermal" treated white woods. Thermal ash, poplar etc. Need to ask them if they can do hickory.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2022, 11:33:26 AM »
Yea I found that thermo wood also
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Shredd

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2022, 06:31:41 PM »
Very Nice..!

Shredd

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2022, 06:34:57 PM »
I just saw a Clay Hays video on heat treating a stick bow...  I think it was Hickory...

Offline Appalachian Hillbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2022, 06:41:29 PM »
Kierh Shannon and the guys in Florida have been doing this for awhile.  Clay went down and spent some time with them. They have several videos on fire hardening white woods.

https://shannonoutdoors.com/primitive-bow/

Online onetone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2022, 08:47:52 PM »
I’ve never used heat modified wood in a bow … but as a kid fire hardened the point of wood spears. From what I read, fire mod. wood is harder than the raw but also less flexible by as much as 30%. That might not matter in a long bow but I wonder about it in short RCs. Does it amp up arrow speed?

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2022, 03:45:32 PM »
100% hickory cores can make a serious hot rod, but longevity isn't in the equation. I believe its the brittle nature of the material. I built a hot rod using paduke and hickory cores with a Uni-carbon back, & glass belly that was incredibly fast but she didn't last long. It blew up before WWT started and never made the trip.

Paduke is similar. Light weight and very brittle. Zebra wood and paduke cores are seriously fast too if that's what you are pursuing. One of my WTT entries used that combo and was hitting high 190's @10 gpp 28" draw just using glass.

Better off sticking with maple / bamboo and tweaking your design for performance for longevity. IMO   Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2022, 05:39:28 PM »
 :thumbsup:
}}}}===============>>

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2022, 06:35:35 PM »
Yes the key is optimizing  you design.
Then you might want to build a hotrod.
Hotrods aren't durable. Just remember that.
High on Archery.

Online onetone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2022, 11:56:26 PM »
So the question remains, why are bowyers using heat treated wood in bows? Is it a matter of appearance or performance?  :dunno:

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2022, 08:19:28 AM »
Who uses the heat treated wood?. Is that the same as tempered bamboo.
I think most are using normal wood or bamboo not taking a chance on heat treated. If you are talking slight performance may not be worth it.
High on Archery.

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2022, 08:55:54 AM »
Who uses the heat treated wood?. Is that the same as tempered bamboo.

Yes
In my mind a stiffer core has to be better.

}}}}===============>>

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2022, 10:16:37 AM »
Absolutely  Max. Stiffer with the same weight or less weight gonna be a plus.
High on Archery.

Online onetone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2022, 11:16:51 AM »
CS - a few posts above the guys mentioned some bowyers that were using heat treated woods.

OK I agree, but was wondering about the durability Kirk and CS talked about, with the reduction of flexibility that goes along with increased stiffness. I guess there is always a trade-off. The subject is new to me.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2022, 11:33:27 AM »
For all of you using amber or carbonized bamboo flooring…. It is heat treated and in my opinion, superior in deflection attributes than raw bamboo.

Bamboo is not very good in compression, but excels in tension strength. The heat treated bamboo does better in compression.

I’ve been experimenting with a different bamboo flooring for the last few months with excellent results so far. I’ve yet to build a 100% bamboo core with it and actually do DFC charts and put them on the shooting machine side by side with my old stock. So I don’t really know what difference it’s made but if anything I’d say it’s a gain and not a loss….

because this new stuff has a significant mass weight difference to it than the vertical laminated material I’ve used for many years, I originally I thought it might be a problem. But what I found was more tensile strength allowed slightly thinner lams and mitigated the mass weight increase. I believe it might even have helped in torsional stability somewhat in RC limbs too.  Hard to test that one though. It just feels better. I’m still using rock hard maple on the belly side of my RC limbs, and using this bamboo on the back.

This stuff is made by Cali bamboo and isn’t a laminated product. It’s pressed together with woven strands and some type of epoxy resin, and has an incredible Janka rating. This is what they call Fossilized bamboo.  Here is a link.

https://www.calibamboo.com/product-java-fossilized-solid-bamboo-flooring-9009001001.html

I’m not going to recommend everyone go out and purchase this product quite yet. I’m always hesitant to endorse a new product that hasn’t got some time in the field and longevity. …. But so far I’m liking this material a lot.     Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2022, 11:59:25 AM »
Could be some good stuff kirk :thumbsup:

Not the same but stranded boo lumber.
5/6 years ago a guy wanted me to make a long bow with this as the riser.
I did not see any problems with it when I was making the bow.
not a very good picture but this is all I have

}}}}===============>>

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2022, 12:15:47 PM »
Ya know something bro..... In 15 years of building these dad burn things i never once used bamboo in a riser except for accent lines. I was always wary of the poor compression attributes causing issues at the back of the shelf on a TD bow, kind of like walnut will do if not reinforced .   Probably the same on a one piece though...

Hell... it might be great stuff, I just never tried it.  How long has that bow been shooting, and what kind of draw weight is it?    Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2022, 12:26:48 PM »
It was 45#
I tried to contact him but can't get any where :dunno:

I don't know if this was the same but it sounds good to me
https://www.bambooindustry.com/bamboo-plywood/strand-woven-lumber.html
}}}}===============>>

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2022, 03:03:37 PM »
What I have read about heat treated wood is the process makes it more durable for things like pallets and weather a

moisture resistance for deck woods etc. I expect that makes it stiffer and maybe more brittle.  :dunno:
High on Archery.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©