3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: I shot my first whitetail with a traditional bow.  (Read 1712 times)

Offline StxHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
I shot my first whitetail with a traditional bow.
« on: January 25, 2022, 09:06:42 AM »
I started my traditional journey two years ago and had killed two hogs and a javelina with a recurve up until this point. I wasn't able to get a whitetail with my recurve last season and I really wanted to do it this season. This past Friday I was finally able to make it happen. A friend of mine has access to a 120 acre property just a few miles from the northern border of the world famous King Ranch. I got him into bowhunting and set him up a few spots where he killed a couple of deer this year with his compound. He let me hang a stand and try my luck at one of the doe on the property. It took a few hunts to get one in range, but I finally had one come through at 12 yards and offer me a broadside shot. My adrenaline was pumping as she came walking through. It took me a while to come to full draw as I wanted to turn the GoPro on my head on first. Her head was on a swivel when she came through and I was worried she was going to bust me. I was only 12 feet up the tree and most of the foliage had fallen off in the last couple of weeks so I was a little exposed. I have a lot of confidence in my ASAT leafy suit, so I knew if I just stayed still she wouldn't notice me. I was excited and relieved when I finally got to full draw. I was finally going to get my chance at a whitetail with a trad bow. I focused as hard as I could at a spot behind her shoulder and released when I felt comfortable. I was surprised to see the arrow blow right through her and fall out the other side as bright red as can be. I knew instantly it would be a fatal hit. She ran about 75 yards into the overgrown field and stopped. Come on, come on, I whispered as she finally spun around and fell over dead. I let out a big breath and took in the moment and all the excitement and emotion that comes with it. I've killed a lot of deer in the 24 years I've been a deer hunter and this one certainly ranks way up there with the excitement and level of accomplishment I felt. It was a moment I'll never forget and I'm glad I was able to record it so I can relive it over and over again. The bow I was using was a #50 Bear Grizzly shooting Black Eagle Vintage arrows with brass insert and 150gr 2-blade Magnus Stinger Buzzcut. My total arrow weight is 508gr and the arrow is flying 151fps. This set up has performed amazingly for me as I was able to watch all four animals I've killed run off and die within view. It's really amazing what a sharp broadhead can do.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2022, 10:11:48 AM by StxHunter »

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: I shot my first whitetail with a traditional bow.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2022, 09:11:21 AM »
 Congrats ! Great job, your hooked now……
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2022, 09:21:47 AM »
Way to get it done.

I sure remember my first.

Offline Elsecaller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2022, 09:27:09 AM »
Congrats, that's something to be proud of!

Offline Elsecaller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2022, 09:28:31 AM »
I started my traditional journey two years ago and had killed two hogs and a javelina with a recurve up until this point. I wasn't able to get a whitetail with my recurve last season and I really wanted to do it this season. This past Friday I was finally able to make it happen. A friend of mine has access to a 120 acre property just a few miles from the northern border of world famous King Ranch. I got him into bowhunting and set him up a few spots where he killed a couple of deer this year with his compound. He let me hang a stand and try my luck at one of the doe on the property. It took a few hunts to get one in range, but I finally had one come through at 12 yards and offer me a broadside shot. My adrenaline was pumping as she came walking through. It took me a while to come to full draw as I wanted to turn the GoPro on my head on first. Her head was on a swivel when she came through and I was worried she was going to bust me. I was only 12 feet up the tree and most of the foliage had fallen off in the last couple of weeks so I was a little exposed. I have a lot of confidence in my ASAT leafy suit, so I knew if I just stayed still she wouldn't notice me. I was excited and relieved when I finally got to full draw. I was finally going to get my chance at a whitetail with a trad bow. I focused as hard as I could at a spot behind her shoulder and released when I felt comfortable. I was surprised to see the arrow blow right through her and fall out the other side as bright red as can be. I knew instantly it would be a fatal hit. She ran about 75 yards into the overgrown field and stopped. Come on, come on, I whispered as she finally spun around and fell over dead. I let out a big breath and took in the moment and all the excitement and emotion that comes with it. I've killed a lot of deer in the 24 years I've been a deer hunter and this one certainly ranks way up there with the excitement and level of accomplishment I felt. It was a moment I'll never forget and I'm glad I was able to record it so I can relive it over again and again. The bow I was using was a #50 Bear Grizzly shooting Black Eagle Vintage arrows with brass insert and 150gr 2-blade Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts. My total arrow weight is 508gr and the arrow flying 151fps. This set up has performed amazingly for me as I was able to watch all four animals I've killed run off and die within view. It's really amazing what a sharp broadhead can do.

ASAT leafy suit over your KUIU? How do you like it? I mean you clearly have confidence in it, but how is it as far as sound? Do the leaves interfere with the string at all?

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2022, 09:28:55 AM »
Awesome  :clapper: :clapper: :clapper:
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2022, 09:29:17 AM »
Congratulations, well done.

Online supernaut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2022, 09:33:49 AM »
Congrats on the first of many!  :clapper:
Prayer changes things.

If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline electricstart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2022, 09:40:45 AM »
Congratulations , Thanks for sharing / I really think Asat is one of the best camos .I wish more companies would use it . Killing anything with recurve or stick bow is a great accomplishment you should be proud .

Offline StxHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2022, 09:49:46 AM »
I started my traditional journey two years ago and had killed two hogs and a javelina with a recurve up until this point. I wasn't able to get a whitetail with my recurve last season and I really wanted to do it this season. This past Friday I was finally able to make it happen. A friend of mine has access to a 120 acre property just a few miles from the northern border of world famous King Ranch. I got him into bowhunting and set him up a few spots where he killed a couple of deer this year with his compound. He let me hang a stand and try my luck at one of the doe on the property. It took a few hunts to get one in range, but I finally had one come through at 12 yards and offer me a broadside shot. My adrenaline was pumping as she came walking through. It took me a while to come to full draw as I wanted to turn the GoPro on my head on first. Her head was on a swivel when she came through and I was worried she was going to bust me. I was only 12 feet up the tree and most of the foliage had fallen off in the last couple of weeks so I was a little exposed. I have a lot of confidence in my ASAT leafy suit, so I knew if I just stayed still she wouldn't notice me. I was excited and relieved when I finally got to full draw. I was finally going to get my chance at a whitetail with a trad bow. I focused as hard as I could at a spot behind her shoulder and released when I felt comfortable. I was surprised to see the arrow blow right through her and fall out the other side as bright red as can be. I knew instantly it would be a fatal hit. She ran about 75 yards into the overgrown field and stopped. Come on, come on, I whispered as she finally spun around and fell over dead. I let out a big breath and took in the moment and all the excitement and emotion that comes with it. I've killed a lot of deer in the 24 years I've been a deer hunter and this one certainly ranks way up there with the excitement and level of accomplishment I felt. It was a moment I'll never forget and I'm glad I was able to record it so I can relive it over again and again. The bow I was using was a #50 Bear Grizzly shooting Black Eagle Vintage arrows with brass insert and 150gr 2-blade Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts. My total arrow weight is 508gr and the arrow flying 151fps. This set up has performed amazingly for me as I was able to watch all four animals I've killed run off and die within view. It's really amazing what a sharp broadhead can do.

ASAT leafy suit over your KUIU? How do you like it? I mean you clearly have confidence in it, but how is it as far as sound? Do the leaves interfere with the string at all?

It really doesn't make any sound at all. The Kuiu Axis jacket I was wearing under it made more sound at the draw than the leafy did. I haven't had a problem with the leaves interfering the string. I have a lot of confidence with this leafy suit. There are places I hunt where I'm allowed to hunt hogs and have had many deer inside 15yds that never knew I was there. And these were in trees where I was only 6-8ft off the ground with minimal cover.

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2022, 09:55:05 AM »
Way to go
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2022, 10:03:40 AM »
Great job!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Elsecaller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2022, 10:25:13 AM »

It really doesn't make any sound at all. The Kuiu Axis jacket I was wearing under it made more sound at the draw than the leafy did. I haven't had a problem with the leaves interfering the string. I have a lot of confidence with this leafy suit. There are places I hunt where I'm allowed to hunt hogs and have had many deer inside 15yds that never knew I was there. And these were in trees where I was only 6-8ft off the ground with minimal cover.

Good to hear. I wear a mix of regular ASAT and light open pattern plaids depending on the day, but I'm really thinking about investing in a leafy suit. Not that I have trouble with my current set-up, but when instinctive shooting a recurve I'll take any little advantage I can get.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2022, 10:35:41 AM »
That is fantastic....

Congrats.....

:thumbsup:

Offline arrow30

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2022, 11:20:06 AM »
congratts! on your first deer. :thumbsup:
original register date- jan. 2010

Offline Ybuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2022, 11:24:32 AM »
great read!
great kill!
congratulations!!!
Steve.

Offline Nomadstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2022, 11:34:04 AM »
RAFA!!! Way to go buddy.  Beautiful mature doe.

Offline durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2022, 12:25:56 PM »
 :thumbsup:

Offline Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2022, 12:38:44 PM »
Outstanding....Congrats!!!!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline StxHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2022, 01:15:59 PM »
RAFA!!! Way to go buddy.  Beautiful mature doe.

Billy, is that you?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©