3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What is your favorite game to hunt ?  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Todd Cook

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What is your favorite game to hunt ?
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2022, 09:24:56 AM »
Whitetails and it's not close. I've hunted lots of different species over the years but deer are my favorite by far. Love the scouting and setup, love eating them.

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2022, 11:13:24 AM »
Honestly, just getting together with friends, and camping, hunting, archery shoots, does not matter what species or targets. I have killed enough deer, and it doesnt matter if i never kill another.
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2022, 11:16:45 AM »
Caribou .... if you like spot and stalk they are a good as it gets. Second comes elk because I love the calling and the beautiful country they live in ....
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2022, 11:49:46 AM »

Elk, they live in beautiful country, nothing like bugling bulls in the fall, the meat is pretty tasty also..
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2022, 12:52:40 PM »
All the above, I'll hunt anything! My favorite is (was) caribou, I hunted them before you had to have a fortune to do it.
 Beautiful animals majestic in every way and they eat good. Elk, love the country and the bugling, 29 times chasing. I could really get into pig hunting, only been 4 times but loved the stalks. Black Bears. the excitement of one showing up unseen and unheard util they're right at your bait. I hunt whitetails the most as I can close to home but Turkeys have become my favorite lately. The last few years they have consumed my springtime, hearing the gobbles, the frustration when they ignore you, all make for great fun. Like I said before All the above!

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2022, 03:05:06 PM »
If I had to choose one animal to hunt for the rest of my life it would be groundhogs. Absolutely love it.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Online Gordon Jabben

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2022, 03:14:10 PM »
I have to say squirrels and rabbit because you can have friends and dogs along.  Hunting small game with friends is special or just hunting squirrels with a squirrel dog that is also your best friend.   

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2022, 05:55:15 PM »
Hunted Caribou in Quebec in '99 and '03. Definitely the most memorable times I've spent with a bow in my hand. Fortunate to have hunted them before prices went through the roof and then the hunts were stopped. In 2003 we were blessed to experience the front end of the migration and saw hundreds of Caribou every day. Glad I got to do it!

Now I am a Whitetail hunter with Turkey and small game mixed in, is most likely going to be it from here on out. May get a chance to chase some pigs sometime, but if not, I am content with deer and turkey.
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2022, 06:07:17 PM »
Still Whitetails by a hair. Biggest rush was sneaking up to a Bull Moose in his bed to 15 yds. Then shooting up at him when he stood. And they're so big!
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline Brently

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2022, 07:55:10 PM »
Grouse

Online Walt Francis

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2022, 11:59:11 PM »
Whatever I’m hunting that day.
If I had to choose one it is moose, solo, deep in the Alaskan bush.  I love the solitude.
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is nowhere as important as being able to place it in the correct spot.

Walt Francis

Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2022, 06:36:27 AM »
Any Big game I have a tag for and small game.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2022, 08:22:46 AM »
I enjoy hunting elk the few times I have, pigs are so much fun, I love spring bear camp….. but to me there is nothing like playing chess with an old mature whitetail, especially in pressured areas. I can plan and scheme every single day of the year for an encounter with a really mature animal or two.

Offline Papadeerhtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2022, 09:52:23 AM »
Whitetail is now my favorite live all aspects of it. Growing up in Ohio in the 70 s my very favorite was quail what a rush when a covey busted up lol but blizzard of 78 killed them all and have never come back

Offline Larry Dean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2022, 05:39:29 PM »
Years back it was drifting the rivers with a canoe for ducks, then I discovered woodcocks, I got two with my bow, that was enough. Then i swore the only deer i would shoot were the ones that got between me and the pheasants and turkeys. With the rabbit and turkey numbers down, this year it has been pheasants. It was not going well at first, but I had a couple of great late season days. I changed to slingshots for trying to hit passing doves this year, running low on shoot away arrows.

Offline Elsecaller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2022, 09:41:00 PM »
Years back it was drifting the rivers with a canoe for ducks, then I discovered woodcocks, I got two with my bow, that was enough. Then i swore the only deer i would shoot were the ones that got between me and the pheasants and turkeys. With the rabbit and turkey numbers down, this year it has been pheasants. It was not going well at first, but I had a couple of great late season days. I changed to slingshots for trying to hit passing doves this year, running low on shoot away arrows.
I think ducks would be my favorite if I could hit one with a recurve.

Offline Larry Dean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2022, 10:28:19 PM »
Most of the ones we hit. we water swatted on the back bends.

Online MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2022, 08:54:20 AM »
If we still had enough rabbits, and places to hunt rabbits it would be rabbits.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2022, 10:07:04 AM »
 Most of my hunting is for whitetail deer these days. But I have enjoyed every species I’ve hunted. I only hunted caribou once in 2006 and I got 2 bulls. Always wished I could go back but prices went crazy. Elk hunting is awesome in the mountains. Hogs and javelina are so fun to stalk in the southwest. Bear are really fun with the time to relax with good friends in camp in the mornings. Everything is special in its own way
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline SlowBowKing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2022, 10:27:08 AM »
I’ve only ever hunted whitetail and squirrel. Looking forward to my first elk hunt this year, and may try a turkey hunt this spring. Also think I would like hog hunting…maybe some day.
-King

PBS Associate Member

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©