3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Carbon in a ASL or Hill style bow ?  (Read 946 times)

Online matt steed

• Trad Bowhunter
  • For God So Loved The World
Carbon in a ASL or Hill style bow ?
« on: January 29, 2022, 11:48:52 AM »
I know a couple of the ASL bowyers are offering carbon.  I am curious on the performance difference or difference in the way they shoot.

I have owned recurves and R/D longbows with carbon, but never a ASL.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Carbon in a ASL or Hill style bow ?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 12:30:15 PM »
Have not shot one. Anything that lightens limb mass should yield increase speed.
shoot straight shoot often

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 02:20:10 PM »
 Matt, a question I had for someone on another site who had Craig back a bow with the woven carbon he provided. He answered that it wasn’t about a real gain in speed, maybe 3-4 fps, but limb stability. He owns many, many ASL’s old and new so I believe he could tell the difference. But me? Probably not so much. He actually admitted he had Craig add it to the bow for the look more than any preformance gains.
 I am interested to hear more comments from those who have tried the carbon on asl bows. My interest is more about the “thump” from the shot. My arthritis hands can’t take any and it’s a real bummer.

Offline A tag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 05:20:18 PM »
Northern Mist Shelton. I haven’t seen a noticeable difference in speed. A guy would have to have a chronograph and two bows exactly the same to really know the difference. I doubt there’s 1 or 2 FPS difference.

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2022, 09:19:17 AM »
I cannot shoot straight limb bows due to the grip.
But I do shoot the super curve recurves and my bow maker has done a lot of tests for tortional stability and his tests show that it really helps with recurves.  So I would have to think that it would be helpful on other bows as well.
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2022, 09:52:26 AM »
  I could be wrong but most of the carbon bows I see the have carbon are recurves and from what I understand it for limb stabilization so the wont twist side to side from all the testing I seen done there is no significance of FPS gain.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 01:06:42 PM by trad_bowhunter1965 »
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Online matt steed

• Trad Bowhunter
  • For God So Loved The World
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2022, 01:45:15 PM »
Thanks for the information. It’s interesting stuff no doubt.

I think the carbon advantage is going to be in recurves, but not so much in deep core longbows.
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Larry Dean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2022, 03:53:59 PM »
I could see how it could add to torque stability in a reflexed limb, but I would also think the placement within the laminations would also have effect on overall benefits. I wonder if it was in the middle if it would change or enhance the stretch and compression ratios within the laminations, which would possibly benefit one type of material more than another, sin, cedar versus a hardwood.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2022, 08:54:01 PM »
 Larry Dean, at one time Craig offered a bow with a carbon strip in the middle. It was a special offering for members of another long gone site. One man who had one said he noticed more hand shock than on another bow with same materials and no carbon. While this had been a one off situation we may never know. I believe the gentleman who had the site has passed. My old memory doesn’t recall the model of the bow or the man’s name.

Online Sant-Ravenhill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2022, 08:26:26 PM »
I remember that Jack Harrison put carbon in his Black Wolf longbows. He stated that carbon on the back allowed him to increase the trapezoid to the back of his bows while maintaining limb stability. Of course his longbows were not ASL's as such. Though his HHC, Howard Hill Commemorative, bow was much more of an ASL style.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©