Author Topic: Flemish twist...my first  (Read 889 times)

Offline Pointed_stick

• Trad Bowhunter
Flemish twist...my first
« on: January 29, 2022, 04:36:25 PM »
My new jig and b55 spools arrived the other day. Seemed apppropriate that the first string would be for the oak long bow I built. Brown and yellow b55 12 strand 65". After watching some videos, 1 in particular a couple times in the important spots I decided to give it a go this morning. The jig is straight forward, and easy to use. The actual winding of the string went fairly well, but I did untie it probably 4 times and redo one side and then the other having missed what I thought was going to be the ideal length before stretching. Once everything landed at about 64" I fashioned a real backwoods set up to stretch with an eye hook, scrap of metal, ratcheting tie down strap, a couple clamps, and a 2x4. Actually worked great. Stretch to 66" and let it sit for 1/2 an hour. After releasing the tension, came 1/4" under the original brace height with the commercially produced b50 continuous loop string. Added an extra 5 twists and it dropped right in place. Some serving, and couple hand cut merino wool silencers, and there was no way I wasn't going out to shoot a bit in spite of the fact we are getting 7-14 in. of snow as we speak. A little fine tuning of the tie on adjustable string nocks [thanks to someone on here who posted the video link, I forget who though] and am back to shooting nice groups at 40ft in no time!! The whole process took longer than I expected, but am super excited with the finish, and will definitely be making one for bow project I currently have underway...and probably the other bows I own. I can definitely tell a difference between the new and old materials, feel to some extent, but the sound is also slightly different. Still very quiet, but I think the tone on the new string is a slightly higher frequency.

"All mushrooms are edible, some of them only once" a wise man aka Dave

Offline Goldxxx

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Flemish twist...my first
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 08:16:01 PM »
Very nice string. Any other posts about your bow? I’m interested in the oak laminations. And how it’s holding up.

My very first post on TradGang.

Offline Pointed_stick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 08:28:43 PM »
Very nice string. Any other posts about your bow? I’m interested in the oak laminations. And how it’s holding up.

My very first post on TradGang.

Thank you, and this is a board bow. 1 piece from dimensional lumber at the local HD, and second piece to build out the riser/grip section. So no lamination. Probably 4-500 shots fired off it to date, but no issues, noises, or physical signs of problems anywhere. When unstrung it does maintain the soft reflex I put in both tips, and has remained stable at 32# @ 28 since completion.

Offline Pointed_stick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2022, 08:46:28 PM »
Here is a couple pics of the riser section in the build out. The main board is red oak, the back of the handle is white oak.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2022, 09:06:14 PM »
Nice.

Also Ethan, this link below explains how to post pictures in here and that will eliminate having to click your url.

Scroll down to the second topic and it says posting pictures.

I've modified your first pictures.

https://www.tradgang.com/tgsmf/index.php?topic=169125.0

Offline Pointed_stick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2022, 09:14:17 PM »
Thank you, I will make use of that from here on out.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2022, 09:19:33 PM »
Cool, ya need any help just pm me.

Offline Pointed_stick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2022, 12:22:28 PM »
As much as I liked how this bow turned out, my original goal was to make something legal to hunt the "big game" in this state. At 32# it did not cut it. Turkey, deer, and Black bear are the top 3 here. Drawing 40# at 28in, or at maximum draw is the legal std. Over the past few days I set out to make Maple backing lams, coming in at .08 average thickness. Got them trimmed and sanded to shape today, and fired the first 40 arrows through it. Sending them down range with authority now! New draw weight measures 45# at 28", and is legal for all game here. Needs some retouch on the finish work after the mods, but could not be more excited at this time!!!

Offline Pointed_stick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2022, 10:41:41 AM »
One of the maple laminations cracked today. Not in a way that can be saved. Already removed and making it's replacement. Not enough of the same pice of maple to cut from there so I will lose that nice mirrored book matched grain pattern. As long as the 2nd one holds up and shoots at the desired weight I will still be happy.

Offline Pointed_stick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2022, 11:38:06 AM »
New lam glued up this morning. Am optimistic this is going to be better.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©