INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 2022 Laredo Tusk Roundup Hunt 2 has BEGUN  (Read 23915 times)

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: LTR2 HAS BEGUN
« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2022, 05:19:59 PM »
Edited for brightness.....

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2022, 05:23:44 PM »
Sweet!!!
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Skates 2

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2022, 05:24:33 PM »
This thread has been just like the 1st one a couple of weeks ago.  Entertaining and captivating, but this one's a bit more hysterical.  :biglaugh: :laughing: :biglaugh:

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2022, 08:39:26 PM »
Sorry, had another thread that needed attention,... now I'm taxiing out to Huston runway.....

Finish up tomorrow.  :campfire:

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Ronnie Newell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2022, 09:21:33 PM »
Dang dude, you shuda been able to have been to Saigon by now
PBS associate

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: February 11, 2022, 09:45:43 PM »
Really enjoyed both the LTR threads, sounds like y’all had a blast. I’ve never done a hunt where I needed to fly so was wondering if some of you that went would care to share your experiences, any problems with getting bows and arrows on the plane , how is the meat handled as far as getting it home? Just would like to hear some of the planing and traveling details. 
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: February 11, 2022, 10:24:36 PM »
Dang dude, you shuda been able to have been to Saigon by now

Shaaaad up Ronnie,  plane didn't leave Laredo till 5:10. Spent 3 hours at Palenque Grill, coffee on both the front and back end... even had desert. Now leave me alone, I'm taxiing again...  :knothead:

Online Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: February 11, 2022, 10:27:56 PM »
Really enjoyed both the LTR threads, sounds like y’all had a blast. I’ve never done a hunt where I needed to fly so was wondering if some of you that went would care to share your experiences, any problems with getting bows and arrows on the plane , how is the meat handled as far as getting it home? Just would like to hear some of the planing and traveling details.

That would be a great thread Sir! ...why don't ya start it. :campfire:

Offline Ronnie Newell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: February 11, 2022, 10:50:52 PM »
I personally want to thank Terry for setting all of this up and especially for making room for me to go. I know he enjoys doing it but that being said, there is one heckofa lot of work involved in making it happen. I also want to thank Jerryg for taking care of us so well, esp. for putting us on such a target rich ranch. To say it was a fantastic hunt just doesnt seem to do it justice...
PBS associate

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: February 11, 2022, 11:38:09 PM »
There definitely was no shortage of Javelina.  That at times was no blessing 15-18 sets of eyes and noses can make it tough to get of a shot.  It was a blast trying, though.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2022, 08:47:06 PM by Wudstix »

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: February 12, 2022, 06:36:02 AM »
Ditto to what Ronnie said. A great time in a "target rich" environment.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: February 12, 2022, 10:05:38 AM »
SteveM;
Thanks for your concerted tracking assistance, both the faux track (at least we found my arrow) and the bloodless Javelina track.  We did due diligence!  I'm glad that I didn't wear my Asbell wool to do some of that tracking, it would probably been ripped to shreds.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 08:12:27 PM by Wudstix »

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member

Online Zeebob

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: February 12, 2022, 08:14:06 PM »
The week before LTR 2 started, Hunting Badger (Ken Bullman) delivered a new take down longbow to me. He built it using one of KennyM’s designs..it’s 47# at 28”.  I wanted to try and break that bow in during our trip.

The second morning of the trip I chased several groups of javis around. About 9:30am I spotted a bunch on the sendero headed my way, but if they kept coming they would get my wind.  I opted to try and come in on their back side and get the wind in my favor…I did that and began to sneak up on them…of course they went into the brush headed toward the sendero I had just come down.

So I went back across the cut across to see where they would come out.  They came out about 150yds away and were feeding back to me now.  I got hid behind a bank of prickly pear and a clump of white brush.  I was on my knees waiting, and waiting..eventually I could hear them crunching corn…the wind was good.  Soon I had the whole flock of javis in front of me..they were doing what Terry calls bee-bopping along, relaxed and they didn’t know I was there.  A boar got broadside in my lane and stopped, I concentrated on his white line and let er rip at maybe 7yds.  The GT with my ace standard went right thru a hair behind the whileline and buried in the dirt behind the javi.  Javis left in a hurry, the one I shot exited stage left and went behind me in the brush. 

My arrow was covered with blood, I found the trail.  Called Ken and he came up to help my track it.  Tracking in that cactus and thorn brush is prickly work.  After a short time we found the boar dead about 30yds in the brush.   I was thrilled…the new bow was blooded!

Online Zeebob

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: February 12, 2022, 09:04:53 PM »
The third morning I chased several bunches around and got busted every time.  Finally I saw a bunch moving my way and I set up about 5 yds off the road behind a pile of brush and a bank of cactus.  After a long wait the javis were milling around in front of me.  They were beginning to move back the way they had come…a sow stopped on the far side of the sendero…it was now or never.

I let the arrow go..she was already moving by time the arrow hit.  It was a bad hit too far back!  Not a good feeling!  I found my arrow across the sendero stuck in a prickly pear.  It was blood red stem to stern!  Maybe there was hope!  On the road I found a lot of blood where the javi hit the brush.  I decided to wait before taking up the trail. 

After lunch Ken and I cut our way into the brush following the blood! 🩸  We only had to go 25yds.  Javi was stone dead and I was tagged out.  I was really lucky!  Or maybe that new bow is lucky!

Hopefully Terry will post my javi pics..

There were a great group of guys on this hunt and I had a wonderful time.  Terry deserves a big thanks for putting the hunt together and getting us all lined out on the ground.  The Back Woods grind coffee was a great way to start every day.  We used the Shifty’s red and classic seasonings on the boar chops we grilled and they came out great…my thanks to both of those sponsors!

I can’t wait until next years LTR!

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: February 12, 2022, 10:10:18 PM »
Backwoods grind coffee is great, even when you leave your Yeti on the breakfast table when you dash out to hunt.  It was waiting for me when I got back after dark and still warm.  Coffee was super!!!  High Noon was good and I also like Camp House.  This coffee is almost as good as the company on this hunt.  LTR 2023 look out, I'm all in!!!  Just sitting at the table listening to all the life stories was worth the price of admission.

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: February 12, 2022, 10:42:02 PM »
Here’s one of ZeeBobs Javi…

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: February 13, 2022, 07:54:57 AM »
It sure sounds like LTR week #2 was every bit as good as LTR week #1.
I'm still waiting to hear about the Famous Cinder Block Hunt.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Online Zeebob

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: February 13, 2022, 08:26:46 AM »
John, thanks for putting the pic up for me!

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: February 13, 2022, 11:08:37 AM »
I will apologize for typos in advance. I didn’t get quite as much hunting for the javelina as I would have liked during this, due to coming down with a nasty cold. 

The first morning of the hunt I was in a convoy following Terry to an area he dubbed ‘the trap’, that was productive during the last group hunt.  As we drove out there Terry pointed in the direction of a couple of ponds that I had hog sign, that I will mention later. 

As we arrived at the trap, Terry asked me to corn some adjacent roads as he familiarized Steve with the area, and to meet him back there.  By the time I got back, they were nowhere to be seen and I saw a group of javelina on one of the roads and had to go along a road to get around them and to get in front of them. Unfortunately I went to far and missed my road and came out on a road that let to Terry glassing while Steve was stalking a group. I snuck up behind him and got a couple short video clips of him stalking, but he wasn’t able to get a shot opportunity.

I returned to my truck and started down a road when I saw a group of 3 javelina and got out to try to stalk up on them.  It looked like they were stalled out with very little corn and no good cover on the road to make an approach,

I went back to the truck and drove up slowly to the javelina, and they melted into the brush. In reverse, I put a trickle of corn the way that I came and backed the truck out of sight. Then I snuck down the road toward the javelina and found a dirt hill that I could partially hide behind off the road and trimmed mesquite and prickly pear out of the way for standing and shooting.

After a short while, the Havelina came out into the road and started feeding towards me. It was a matter of time. Eventually the Havelina feeding in the lead gave me a shot opportunity and I took it. The Javelina upon impact ran a few yards to the opposite side of the road and tried to break my arrow unsuccessfully. The other two ran off and my Havelina went if yards into the brush. Since I could still see it I opted to sling another arrow into the brush but it was deflected. No matter, the Javelina went down in a few more yards.

https://youtube.com/shorts/n4f516AuZmg?feature=share

« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 11:24:21 AM by pdk25 »

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: February 13, 2022, 11:30:34 AM »
Before it warmed up to much, I drove the javelina back to camp, skinned and dressed it and put it in the cooler.  I ran down to the store and got some ice for the cooler, then I set up some mini feeders, hog bombs, lights and cameras for nighttime hog hunting.  I was starting to feel pretty tired at that point, and gave up the afternoon hunt for a nap.  Unfortunately that was the onset of being sick, and I stayed in bed all day Monday, which was my birthday.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©