3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What length recurve should my friend get  (Read 1912 times)

Offline Larry Dean

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What length recurve should my friend get
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2022, 01:10:19 PM »
Mr. Larson, Don't ever take me serious on a public forum. At one time in my aluminum takedown hunting and target Black Widows with bow sights days, I had a 28.5" draw. I looked like I was trying to fall over backwards. That position did wonders for my neck, I think that is the reason I have limited neck rotation to the right still today.
On another note, man those bows could stack arrows from way back there.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 01:15:46 PM by Larry Dean »

Offline Part Time Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2022, 10:05:38 PM »
If hunting 20 less yards it's not going to matter much trade off short length for less fps,less cast. Over 20 you want a 64 inch.
Pray like Tuck and shoot like Robin.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2022, 08:33:58 AM »
If ordering him a bow, I would say 60" just because he won't have a chance to try it out. Otherwise in person, whatever feels good to him.

I have a 32" draw and would never build my self a bow over 64"s and my two main hunting bows are 60" and 58"s. This however is me.. many tend to shoot bows much longer than are ideal for their draw because they are smoother. That means that said longer bow isn't getting as much cast for them as the same bow but shorter. It is definitely slight in comparison. The same bow only shorter would be smooth if they dropped a couple lbs. and would be a more maneuverable bow for hunting. 

Bow design also depicts what length is ideal. The thought that the shorter bows are slower is not accurate either. Apples to apples fellas when comparing bows. I'm sure the guy quoting that in the bible was comparing that.

No way that a grizzly was stacking at 29"s but more likely the draw weight was starting to get out of your comfort zone .. or you were drawing it further.
Asking questions on a forum is potluck. You were advised by lancaster on your existing bow, they would be a good resource to get info for your friend.
BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Larry Dean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2022, 01:48:46 PM »
I always thought it would be cool to hunt with a 48"bow, my problem I much prefer to shoot split finger and I like to shoot a lot of arrows. I always get that thang right where my finger nail goes to hide behind the inflamed blistery spot. Us short folk need to cant the bow over when sitting on our butts on the ground. Pretty important todo with an ASL, but not that difficult with practice. It can be handier with a 48 or 50 inch bow, but my release is not so pure and smooth sometimes when amped up when hunting, such things show up with short recurves more than longer ones. On the off side, I find that my wife's 54" NAT Lost Creek hybrid is more tolerant of my misdeeds than the short recurves that I have tried. Although nothing is more tolerant of my misdeeds than my Berry Morningstar.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2022, 07:27:03 AM »
I'm 5'6", (ok, 5' 51/2').

I own and shoot 52"-62" recurves. I prefer 56-58" because I do some roofed blind hunting as well as open situations.

I agree with the used market suggestions.

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2022, 10:37:02 AM »
Better to start light and learn the right way then move up in weight if needed. 60 in. no more than 40 at your draw length.
DONT OVERBOW YOURSELF!!!

High on Archery.

Offline John Cholin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2022, 05:17:59 PM »
Friend,

I see you have gotten lots of opinions already.  I see things a little differently.  I have to say, "It depends."

What does you friend want to do with this bow?  Target shoot exclusively, Hunt seriously?  If the latter for what? Armadillos?  The bow you get is going to be determined by what you want to do with it.  And how you plan to do it.

I'm 6' 1" and 185 lbs., kind of a long-legged wide receiver type.  When I switched from compound back to recurve I followed the conventional advice and got a Recurve, 62" AMO 65 lbs at 28".  The first two times in my life I missed a buck CLEAN was with that bow.  I could put 10 arrows into a 4" group at 20 yards every day.  But here in the northeast I hunt out of gnarly trees with branches all around.  The deer never see me but the branches always got in the way when I shot.  You arrow doesn't fly where you want it if a bow limb whacks a limb on string release! I went out and got a 55" recurve and that little bow allowed me to shoot from every tree stand I have.

I am now shooting a 56" Fox High Sierra recurve, 64 # at 30 ".  Life is good!  I can still keep 10 arrows in a 6" circle at 20 yards  in spite of being 72.

So from my perspective, the right answer to you question is "It depends."

JMC
My best friend is my dog,
my best bow is my Bear Cheyenne.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©