3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What length recurve should my friend get  (Read 1915 times)

Offline Farmingdales Finest

• Trad Bowhunter
What length recurve should my friend get
« on: February 09, 2022, 05:15:36 PM »
With me getting my first deer with a recurve over the weekend one of my Bowhunting buddies wants to get a recurve too.

I am 6’2” with a 30” draw and was recommended to get a 64-66” bow for hunting.  After much reading I went with the 66” for myself. My buddy is about 5’7 with a 27” draw on his 60 lb compound.

What should I be leading him too?  I chose a 21” EXE Scream riser with Galaxy Bronze Star limbs. He likes what I have and obviously there are different length limbs and that riser is offered also in 17” and 19” lengths. Also looking for guidance about what pound limbs to match with the riser since what I was told my bow should pull by LCA’s customer service rep was about 6 pounds less that what it actually weighs.
Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2022, 06:26:32 PM by Farmingdales Finest »
EXE Scream 21" Riser, Uukha Gobi Medium limbs 43 otf,  Springy rest, GT Hunters tipped with 3 blade Muzzy's 535gr. TAW

United Bowhunters of NJ - Monmouth County Rep

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What length recurve should my friend get
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2022, 08:39:49 PM »
I recommend a used beater or borrowed bow
56” to 60”
40#
Matched arrows but from reputable dealer who can help half dozen will do

After three months he will know a lot and he will make a much better buying decision
Then.
Easy if he starts now he’s looking to buy a bow in June he can hunt with come fall.

Good Luck <><
<———————-<<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline Possum Head

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 09:13:25 PM »
I recommend a used beater or borrowed bow
56” to 60”
40#
Matched arrows but from reputable dealer who can help half dozen will do

After three months he will know a lot and he will make a much better buying decision
Then.
Easy if he starts now he’s looking to buy a bow in June he can hunt with come fall.

Good Luck <><
<———————-<<<<<<
Good advice!

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2022, 10:18:37 PM »
I recommend your friend get a 40-45# 60” recurve.  The weight should be at his draw length.  Since he has a 27” draw length, that means a bow marked 42-47# @ 28”.  Before he goes for 45#, he should draw and shoot 45# bows to make sure he feels comfortable holding this weight at full draw.  Otherwise, he should pick one toward the lower end of this range.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Part Time Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2022, 10:44:30 PM »
I heard , someone chime in, the highest fps is from 64 inch bows all things being equal.
Pray like Tuck and shoot like Robin.

Offline Part Time Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2022, 10:46:02 PM »
For wood it's 66 inches per bowyer's Bible fiberglass maybe 64 .

Offline Part Time Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2022, 10:46:56 PM »
Ditto the 40-45.

Offline Larry Dean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2022, 02:43:08 AM »
There is a very real chance that his draw length will be considerably less with a recurve. I have drug out quite a number of deer that were killed with a 38 At 26" recurve bow of various makes. No more than 60 inches, start out shooting a standard split finger style.  Any bow 50 @28 down to 45 @ 28.  1816 aluminums or some woodies. A used Bear Grizzly would be my first recommendation, or a new one. Many very successful hunters swear by them. There is a reason for that. 

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2022, 03:26:18 AM »
Yaa his draw length would most likely shorten with the recurve.So a pretty short draw most likely.Maybe 26".

AS said above 56 to 60 inches would probably be a good fit.I would probably lean toward 60 inches for shootability in the learning stage.I would say lean toward the lighter poundage bow to begin with so he could learn better form and not struggle at all with poundage and shoot more arrows without tiring.Maybe 40 pounds at 26-27 inches.Depends on his fitness and strength.Less is more though to start out with IMO.

He can get heavier bows later.Perhaps a 3 piece T.D bow where he gets a lighter set and moves up to heavier ones as he aquires good form and more strength and confidence.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2022, 05:22:48 AM »
I agree w the 60” 40lb. Something I think I should mention, some are stating his draw length will change. If he draws his compound correctly and draws a recurve correctly it’ll be pretty close. Some depends on anchor type n such. I bet 75% of compound guys draw too long. At least in my experience and I see lots of wheel guys a year. If that’s the case it’ll change. That being said I believe the 40lb will prob still work and is good advice for him to learn
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online blacktailbob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Island Graphics Inc.
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2022, 07:39:03 AM »
Has your friend shot your bow? What pound is it? Agree with the above about 58-60" bow being a good length to start.
Black Hunter recurve might be a good bow to start with and less $$$ to swap out limbs.
[email protected]

Islandgraphicsfl.com

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2022, 07:56:29 AM »
He has only pulled it back. I also have a mid 70’s grizzly that a friend who’s left handed picked up at a garage sale for $5. The issue is it may be too heavy for him at 50# at 28”.  For me with a 30” draw it stacked badly at about 29”. I just wasn’t comfortable with it.
EXE Scream 21" Riser, Uukha Gobi Medium limbs 43 otf,  Springy rest, GT Hunters tipped with 3 blade Muzzy's 535gr. TAW

Offline Larry Dean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2022, 12:12:50 PM »
One of the benefits of an under 28" draw, it avoids the bows that stack at longer draws. The statement above about wheelie guys drawing too faros very true in my area. A common term is"Your not stretched out yet" is heard often. Those are often the same newbies that find when shooting from a tree stand, the sighting system completely is out of sight line. If the goal is to shoot deer from a tree stand, watching how Fred Bear shot is always a good place for first time instinctive shooters to start. This can be done with a recurve as well.

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2022, 05:22:22 PM »
A man that is 5' 7" tall should easily have at least a 27" draw if his form is proper. The issue is that he should start with a lighter weight bow in the beginning. His final draw weight after putting in the time learning to shoot will depend on factors that have nothing to do with his height. I agree with those here that have suggested that a 58-60 inch 40 lb bow is a good place to start. Everybody's mileage may vary.

Offline Larry Dean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2022, 06:56:38 PM »
I disagree with declaring what anyones draw length should be and declaring what would be proper form per draw length of any given individual. Nearly 40 years ago John Schulz told me my draw length was too long for my 5'9" self and my nearly 70" arm span, he was correct, at 27" with a longbow my head was not in a natural alignment. 

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2022, 07:48:26 PM »
I am asking what length bow I should have my friend look at. I am 6’2 and a beginner at Traditional Archery.  I am shooting a 66” bow which would only be a few inches shorter than he is tall. He is only going to use it for hunting so he doesn’t need a longer bow. I am not asking what draw length.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2022, 08:52:37 PM »
To keep it simple Rick 58 to 60 inches should be fine overall.

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2022, 09:12:47 PM »
I am asking what length bow I should have my friend look at. I am 6’2 and a beginner at Traditional Archery.  I am shooting a 66” bow which would only be a few inches shorter than he is tall. He is only going to use it for hunting so he doesn’t need a longer bow. I am not asking what draw length.

Couple a things
1 his draw length and the best bow length for him are inter dependent / connected
2 your height, bow length, draw is irrelevant
3 “only for hunting” ??? Are you kidding.

Stay focused. Do what I recommend and he’ll be fine.
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline Larry Dean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2022, 03:41:33 AM »
I look at 48" recurves and think one of those would sure convenient to hunt with. I know, crazy, often those real short bows are slower than longer bows, but still. Then Lori says, "When was the last time you could hit anything with a 48" bow? NO!!". It really sucks that your basic 58 or 60 inch recurve has worked so well for more most people for so many years, that's why I shoot ASLs, I got tired of killing things with 58" recurves when I was still young.

Offline creekwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2022, 11:06:24 AM »
A man that is 5' 7" tall should easily have at least a 27" draw

Larry, maybe I should have said "could" instead of "should".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©