3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Should We Really Change From Our Deer Setup When Hunting Turkey?  (Read 2953 times)

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
Should We Really Change From Our Deer Setup When Hunting Turkey?
« on: February 12, 2022, 06:07:26 PM »
Recently, I pulled up an Stickboy's podcast that featured a well known and very successful turkey traditional bowhunter. A few of his insights went somewhat against common beliefs; especially with his traditional setup recommendations.

He stated that whatever you have used with confidence in deer season; that should be used in turkey season. His thoughts were that nothing trumps accuracy when shooting turkeys and it makes no sense to abandon what works for you....just because your hunting turkey.

He said ANY sharp broadhead in the kill zone kills the turkey which makes a great deal of sense. He uses a pretty standard size two blade successfully.

I've hunt with either two blade Razorheads or Eskimo's for almost everything with a great deal of success. They both hit the same spot for me. Every year for turkey season, I usually change the broadheads out to some style of three blade Woodsman heads. I shoot a bit high in practice with the WW's and just think I will compensate a bit low. I doesn't work that way; the last two or three chances have resulted in over the back shots...usually with a few feathers shaved.

So here is the question to all you experienced (and otherwise) die hard turkey bowman. How important is it (really) to pick a broadhead so big that the bird splits into two pieces? I remember shooting a fall turkey in Colorado with an eskimo and it ran a few feet and fell over dead. Dead is dead...right?

Your thoughts?
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Online Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Should We Really Change From Our Deer Setup When Hunting Turkey?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 06:18:46 PM »
I agree to use the same bow arrow broadhead combination you use for deer or big game. In my case deer, hogs, black bears. I am experienced at killing turkeys with my same bow. The things I do differently than hunting deer, hogs, bears is I file a “V” into the tip of my broadhead, I shoot 10 yards or less at turkeys no further and I shoot center of mass. Never lost one. I do shoot Sharks. The big ones and I do want huge damage on impact for lots of reasons. But I shoot Sharks all the time not just at birds. I didn’t know other folks changed things for turkeys?
Good Hunting <><
<———————-<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 06:21:11 PM »
I've never watched or listened to a podcast in my life, don't even know where they grow, but I would agree with the observation stated.  Same bow(s), same arrows.  My only anecdotal comment is that I tried using a large three blade during a fall hunt.  Shot from a 50 pound long bow at 15 yards at a broadside tom.  The head hit the wing butt and provided "0" penetration, instead it just knocked the bird rolling.  He got up and ran like a greyhound.   :o
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Online arrow30

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 06:51:34 PM »
i shoot the same bow , turkey wings are tough,.
 ever been whopped in the head when you pick one up that aint quite dead (HURTS)
 I shoot treesharks too.
original register date- jan. 2010

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2022, 08:03:15 PM »
Well, I'll go against the grain a little here.  I shoot half the same bow when I hunt turkeys. The same Bear TD riser, but with a set of limbs that are shorter and about 5# lighter than the limbs I use for deer.  Since I hunt out of a blind, and given that turkeys don't aways stand sstill, a lot of times, I find myself at full draw for longer than I would like. The 5# less weight makes it easier to hold while waiting for the bird to turn for just the right shot.

I do use the same arrows and broadheads, usually Woodsman's or 4-blade Zwickey Deltas.   

Offline Rebel Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2022, 08:23:34 PM »
Stringwacker  I use the same broadheads I use for almost all game 3 blade 175 VAP. but I also

use A string tracker when hunting Turkeys.  JJ

blade
"It's not the Bow, It's the Indian'

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2022, 08:49:14 PM »
I use the same set up for everything but I like a big 3 blade for everything. 

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2022, 08:52:20 PM »
I guess I'm amazed at all the folks who hunt big game with three blades or premium cut two blades. I have appreciated everyone's replies.

JJ...good to hear from you!
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters

Offline A tag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2022, 09:23:02 PM »
I normally drop poundage a little. I like being able to hold at full draw while a turkey comes into a shooting lane. I also change up my arrows a bit. I make a light weight set of woodies that will blend in tipped with a Magus I 135, yes I still have a few packs left. I like a quick setup I can hold at full draw in the terrain I hunt. I do not feel like I struggle with accuracy in any way shape or form. I shoot Hill style bows so it’s really no difference a few lbs one way or the other, ya just have to shoot what your taking for a week or two and ya should be ready.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2022, 08:50:02 AM »
So... dead is dead, and any gear will do that, but augmenting it with a little larger head is very helpful when the vitals are so small and the best plan of attack is to do a great deal of damage. Now this only works if you can still put the arrow where you need to.

I use large thee blades all the time so that is not really a change. However for no apparent reason, i go back and forth from the VPA three blade to the BigJim thee blade (same head, but much wider) when hunting deer and pigs.

While hunting turkeys, I exclusively use the BigJim head... Turkeys can't tote it! Of course, it flys like I want it to, or I make a gear adjustment to get it to. Given the opportunity, I shoot the birds in the hips.. A bird that can't run, can't fly... and he can't run.
I would say that I have never had a bird shot in the hips get a way.. or even make it more than 10 turkey steps!
Have only had one bird go more than that distance, and it was shot in the back barely missing the spine.

Only birds I've lost were birds I never hit. Now in fairness, I've only kilt 9 of them ..so far.

This year I'm going to attempt a slam in a single season.. just because I like to go to different places. I have arrangements with a friend in Florida or Osceola's. Lots of eastern here where I live, and traveling to New Mexico in April to a friends place teaming with both Rio's and Meriam's. Of course going don't mean it will happen.

I'm going to need a little luck too!, BigJIm
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline bowkill146

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2022, 10:27:10 AM »
I've never considered changing equipment while turkey hunting.  Part of the reason is that I don't go full bore into turkeys.  Usually it's an opportunistic thing.  If I see some roaming around or if I'm carrying my bow while checking the cows out in the pasture, I'll go after them.  The other thing is that, here we have a fall season too.  If I'm out deer hunting and have an opportunity at a turkey, I don't want to worry about not having the right equipment.  Just hit them where it counts. 

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2022, 10:58:33 AM »
I have never killed a turkey with a gun or bow so all those that do kill turkey with a bow I heed their advice, I'll be using the same setup I hunt big game. 
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2022, 01:16:16 PM »
I am another guy that has never killed a turkey, but I see no reason to do anything different from my deer hunting rig.
Sam

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2022, 01:59:48 PM »
Apparently turkeys are tough to kill quickly.. as I mentioned earlier, that hasn't been the case for me but then I tear them up pretty good inside along with taking out their running gear.

I have spoken with several people who have arrowed turkeys that don't have a very good recovery rate.

BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2022, 02:48:38 PM »
For those guys that plan to hunt with the same setup as for turkey as they use for deer...what is the broadhead to be used? I guess I'm fishing around (secondarily) for anyone using two blade eskimo or razorheads in a two blade configuration with any type of success. I've killed turkey with a two blade Eskimo, Wensel Woodsman, and with a four blade Delta...one bird with each head spread out over a lot of years (decades actually). Only two of those were Eastern Gobblers, the other was a Merriam killed in the fall Colorado season with my two blade elk setup. The two blade worked just like the bigger heads..... but I read so much about supersized broadheads for turkey for the reason BigJim and others have stated; that perhaps I see it as a bit of a fluke. I question whether its repeatable.

I've had scant few chances recently that I just plain missed. This is painful as I don't have a lot of turkey in my hunt areas so just getting a shot can be an extended multiyear event.  I 'do' switch my setup to a three blade for turkey; practice diligently with the three blade before the season....and shoot high with the three blade. They hit higher than my Eskimo's. I might add even the one I killed with the WW many years ago was on the second shot....the first one sailed high!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2022, 02:55:53 PM by Stringwacker »
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2022, 06:14:44 PM »
I’ve never even thought about anything different be it deer, bears, turkey, anything needs a broadhead gets same one. Some guys muddy the water too much imo. 
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2022, 07:58:34 PM »
Am endeavoring to successfully arrow number 36 this season. There are several which have harvested far more gobs. However, the following is taken from my own many days and years in the field.

Have harvested gobs with Magnus Stinger, Snuffers, Zwickey Eskimo, Woodsman, Big 3’s, 3 blade VPA and Tree Sharks.

If the bird’s physical design was such that they would absorb the full impact instead of being knocked off their feet, then a Big 3 may personally be a 1st choice as a personal selection for my draw weight and arrow weight selections.

All viable deer broadheads will likely take a bird down within a hundred yards with proper shot placement. Perfect shot placement may anchor a bird immediately or within steps of the impact. Not the majority outcome for me. Last sightings of a mortally wounded turkey escaping are often much shorter on average than for a deer and the blood trails are typically far less visible and typically nonexistent.  Quickened immobility and personal confidence are paramount.

Tree Sharks are easily my number one choice.

Year after year I select the Tree Shark...tunes well...excellent penetration...devastating wound channel...often leaves a visible blood trail…much shorter recoveries...easy to sharpen...reliable...shoots excellent thru netting...The Turkey guild has lobbied hard to ban them.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Longbowwally

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2022, 08:26:21 PM »
I've only killed 6 gobblers with archery equipment - 2 with trad and 4 with modern bows.

I find turkeys extremely tough and hard to kill with the bow - my best results have been with Bullhead type broadheads to the neck - but that was with modern bows....I tried the Bullhead style broadhead this past spring with my trad but had to take a second shot with my backup VPA 3 blade due to a miss on the first shot - see my story on Pow Wow if interested....Some folks have told me my trad bows don't have enough energy to use the Bullhead style broadhead but I think it will work just fine and plan to prove it at some point in the future :) ....

I used a string tracker on the first gobbler I killed with trad and it worked good. Another season I used the string tracker on a different bow and mounted it under the handle and hit a bird to low - I think due to the low mounted string tracker and the line dragging on the bottom of my blind window - so I would recommend mounting the string tracker above the sight window to insure clearance of the blind windows.....

It seems to me some folks have no trouble putting gobblers down with body shots quickly but that has not been my experience - so maybe I'm doing something wrong in those instances.....
LONG LIVE THE LONGBOW!

Wally Holmes

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2022, 08:42:26 PM »
Thank you all who have taken the time to respond. There is some really good information on this thread! As would be expected; there is a lot of variation on the setups.

The repeated mentioning of Tree Sharks is intriguing and I might have to give those a look. The thread has been very helpful and I appreciate everyone letting me get "into the weeds" a bit for a better understanding of how many of you  approach bowhunting for turkeys.....
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2022, 08:46:52 PM »
This is pretty typical for turkeys for me. I like to shoot them around 5 yards. I shoot around 50#s so I can hold for a while if needed. I like 3 blade heads and often use a string tracker. I usually don’t need it but it’s nice to have in case the shot isn’t great.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©