3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Should We Really Change From Our Deer Setup When Hunting Turkey?  (Read 2956 times)

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Should We Really Change From Our Deer Setup When Hunting Turkey?
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2022, 06:40:05 AM »
I dont change a thing,,, i will shoot those #2/3 broadheads though. 
"Us vs Them"

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2022, 11:06:44 AM »
I don't worry about any of that.  My set up is not borderline in any area.  So, I shoot what ever head I want when ever I want.  I have 3 different heads in my quiver during 'off deer' season and 2 different ones during deer season. 25 grains either way makes no difference.  :campfire:
Blaze out your own trail.

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2022, 12:37:18 PM »
I remember that episode! It is a joy to have Curt on every time. For me it's all about results. If you check out our YouTube pay attention to what happens on impact, it's very rare that my arrows slow down while going through deer or hogs. Unless I find a shoulder (sometimes then, too) that arrow is sticking in the ground on the other side, however with a turkey the opposite is true--It's very rare that the arrow even makes it to the wrap. I think it has to do with density, (just my opinion) more than anything else. We've got a really cool turkey hunt coming out in a few weeks that adds to the narrative--4-5 yard shot, makes it in to about the wrap and that's it, same arrow and resharpened head that had blown through multiple deer. Regardless of the head though, If you get in that small ribcage or the top of those artery-packed legs you're in good shape.

------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2022, 01:19:06 PM »
I attribute the penetration difficulty in turkeys to two main factors.  First is the toughness of the feather quills. Tougher than deer hide and hair, IMO.   Second, and probably more important, is the weight of the bird, compared to a deer for example.  When an arrow strikes a turkey, it can and often does move the turkey a bit, pushes it so to speak. This definitely detracts from penetration. 

In the dozen or so birds I've killed with a bow, on only two did the arrow zip right through the turkey.  In all the rest, the arrow stayed in the turkey.  The broadhead may have come out the other side on quite a few of them, but the arrow stayed with the bird. 

Offline Larry Dean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2022, 03:24:18 PM »
Even with a very quick 64 pound Schulz and a Hill head on a 2018, the penetration stops when the head meets the dirt. I think the tumbling turkey turns the arrow into the dirt at times. The only fly through I have ever had was on an uphill shot and that bird was about to take wing when the arrow reached it.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2022, 06:20:22 PM »
Have enjoyed many pass thru's utilizing a Tree Shark backed with a 100 gn insert...have  completely severed a head when only presented a head shot...

Made a poor shot and completely severed a drumstick...required a follow up shot after a short flight....there are those that prefer an arrow to stay in the bird....of my experience, I have had three birds fly off with the arrow that where not retrieved...have not personally realized an advantage when utilizing the Tree Shark.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2022, 11:41:24 PM »
Mark, I’m not that big of a turkey hunter but I don’t change a thing.but I shoot a little wider delta or vpa 3 blade head  I know you shoot ample bow weight as well as arrow weight, but shooting a combination you have to allow for is a mistake as we never compensate when the pressure is on.
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Bamboozle

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2022, 06:59:21 AM »
I shoot what I want when ever I want.  I never let the equipment control me. What's the problem?
Get bamboo.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2022, 07:00:59 AM »
I shoot what I want when ever I want.  I never let the equipment control me. What's the problem?

EXACTLY what he said!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2022, 07:55:49 AM »

I like this advice and Dave Lay's as well. I take that to mean that perhaps you choose equipment that meets your most desired outcome (in my case accuracy) and use it regardless whether its the best setup (in terms of lethality) for the game your after. I guess I will hunt with the two blade razorheads this year and see how that works for me.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 09:28:00 AM by Stringwacker »
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2022, 08:03:29 PM »
Mark, I think your making a good call, in my case my desired outcome is the best accuracy I can achieve with lethality a very important piece of it, I’d probably be more accurate shot with a 1” wide head but choose deltas or 3 blade vpa,s  I’m not a great shot and still shoot 5” fletch and fairly heavy arrow set ups.
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2022, 01:14:50 PM »
So I think that some miss what should be the point..  and that is .. whatever you use, It needs to be as accurate as you can be. There's no reason why one couldn't make this the case with a slightly different or greatly different set up for turkeys if they want. Not too tough out to 10-12 yards for most.

A turkey could be killed with a field tipped arrow as well.. certainly the most accurate, but that doesn't mean that is the wisest choice. You (whom ever that may be) are entitled to hunt how you legally want. I will also and for me, that means a bigger head for turkey.
BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2022, 03:40:21 PM »
Other than wearing black from the waist up and sitting in a hub blind,  I don’t change much when hunting turkeys.  I do have “Turkey Arrows “. But they are only different in the way that they are fletched black with black nock,  Camo GT hunters.   No bright colors what so ever,  them birds can see!!! Shaft same,  broadhead same as for deer.  No string tracker,  no special bird head.  Same bow as for deer.   Turkeys die!  I even use the cheap inflatable decs  :bigsmyl:

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2022, 03:54:35 PM »
This fella didn’t argue with a regular ole Ace head.  15 yrds I remember...... he loved that balloon of a hen.  Right after that season I went to the more subdued arrow with camo shaft,  just for insurance cuz I swear if you’re close,  those birds can see the whites of your eyes!

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2022, 06:53:22 PM »
Shoot them head and it doesn’t matter much!

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2022, 08:50:24 PM »
My one turkey was more a reaction than a shot, he stepped out into the trail at about 8 yards as I walked out of deer blind and the arrow was gone.  Hit right where the legs join the body and he was done flopping by the time I got to him.  Magnus Mag I, 160 grain, in to the fletch.  MOAB 63#.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Broken Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2022, 08:13:46 AM »
I have only shot one turkey, 20 yards WW 150gr 60# bow, I hit where the legs join the body with a complete pass through, the bird went maybe 10 yards.
Take the long way around.
Dwyer Endeavor 58" 64@29"
Super Shrew 58" 60@28"
Thunder Child 58" 60@28"
Toelke Pika 56" 60@29"

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2022, 05:07:42 PM »
I use the same as deer hunting except for the head, I try to head shoot them with a bullhead, had too many fly off with body shots. My second arrow, if needed, is a snuffer on a string tracker. Trackers work when birds fly off a bluff and sail hundreds of yards, it has happened! I've taken 25-30 birds. 

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2022, 04:46:25 PM »
I’ve killed 22 Merriams, lost 3 that I hit. Missed a few too  :banghead:

I am hunting other critters at the time so use whatever is in the quiver. I’ve successfully used
Glue on Cutthroats on cedar and Fir
Stingers , Slick Tricks and Outback’s and VPA 3 blades on carbons
ACE on cedar
Ribteks on Cedar and Alloy

I shoot for centre mass or base of the neck. Always by stalking . Never done the blind thing but want to .

Prob my fave animal to hunt . Sth Island NZ has good population a of them . A more frustrating critter you won’t find , nor a tastier one
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Online Bullchaser1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2022, 07:45:35 PM »
I’ve shot quite a few birds with different heads. Muzzy, vpa, Magnus snuffer etc. I keep my “more expensive “ heads for elk/ deer. I agree with biggest accurate head for birds. Follow their legs up and zip them!
60” Widow PsaIII 63#
58” Widow PchX  62#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©