3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bowhunting with poncho?  (Read 2912 times)

Offline Elsecaller

• Trad Bowhunter
Bowhunting with poncho?
« on: February 16, 2022, 12:21:38 PM »
Who here has shot a bow with a poncho? Does it interfere with your shooting at all? Are they practical for hunting?

I'm looking at buying a wool poncho from Asbell wool, but I don't want to spend the money on something I'm going to end up finding out is in my way or hampering my shooting.

Appreciate any advice y'all can give.

Offline Longrifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bowhunting with poncho?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2022, 01:49:39 PM »
I'd recommend that you go to WalMart & buy one of those cheap rain ponchos they normally have in the sporting goods section, & try it. A ponch is a poncho, & what may work for others may or may not work for you-other than borrowing one from someone, or cutting a head hole in an old sheet just to wear it like a poncho & try shooting with it, that's probably your least expensive option.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2022, 02:27:33 PM »
Longrifle makes a good point.  I might add that if ponchos made a good hunting garment, we'd probably see people wearing them in hero pix.  I can't remember ever seeing one. 

Online David Mitchell

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2022, 02:41:35 PM »
I have used one and followed Fred Asbell's suggestion to just flip the poncho on the bow arm side up over the shoulder to shoot. Worked for me.
The years accumulate on old friendships like tree rings, during which time a kind of unspoken care and loyalty accrue between men.

Offline Tom0728

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2022, 03:40:19 PM »
I tried the cheap Walmart poncho, was too baggy and I had to belt my waist so it wouldn't whip in the wind. What works good for me is one of those soft shell waterproof jackets from Walmart for $20 on the occasion I hunt rain. Fits closer to form so it stay out of the way and not so noisy when you move

Offline Larry Dean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2022, 04:18:12 PM »
I don't understand the poncho thing, unless it is in a pack just in case a rain shower is coming. I like wool sweaters from Norway, my Swandri wool, and my camo Filson double mac. I light spray of Scotch Guard on wool coats, jackets and pants is as much as need for light rain situations. I try to avoid down pours, but did find that a junked 55 Pontiac in the woods makes for a wonderful reprieve when a surprise thunderstorm came through.

Offline Elsecaller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2022, 06:31:23 PM »
I don't understand the poncho thing, unless it is in a pack just in case a rain shower is coming. I like wool sweaters from Norway, my Swandri wool, and my camo Filson double mac. I light spray of Scotch Guard on wool coats, jackets and pants is as much as need for light rain situations. I try to avoid down pours, but did find that a junked 55 Pontiac in the woods makes for a wonderful reprieve when a surprise thunderstorm came through.

I donno, some of us just want to look like the man with no name ;)

Offline Larry Dean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2022, 06:46:18 PM »
That is a movie thing I am guessing. I don't watch movies. Nor do I try to make fashion statement when in the woods and field, but I have yet to find a pair of long johns that good with my kilt.

Offline Elsecaller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2022, 10:00:52 PM »
That is a movie thing I am guessing. I don't watch movies. Nor do I try to make fashion statement when in the woods and field, but I have yet to find a pair of long johns that good with my kilt.

You must really not watch movies. It's a classic western.

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2022, 10:55:01 PM »

I don't think he gets it so don't worry about it.  Me I still watch them every
time they come on.
My MIL actually brought me back one from Mexico with the tassels and all.  It's wool and warm an ugly as a red headed step child. I own some decent and quality rain wear.  It never gets used.
Figure rainy days are for in camp with a Crown and Dr. Pepper . . .
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline Elsecaller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2022, 11:15:29 PM »

I don't think he gets it so don't worry about it.  Me I still watch them every
time they come on.
My MIL actually brought me back one from Mexico with the tassels and all.  It's wool and warm an ugly as a red headed step child. I own some decent and quality rain wear.  It never gets used.
Figure rainy days are for in camp with a Crown and Dr. Pepper . . .

I can't argue with that. Pepper and crown is one of my favorites.

Depends how hard it's raining, but I'll agree with you there.

Offline Larry Dean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2022, 03:06:47 AM »
Just kidding around and I don't own a kilt, I just hate it when a cold Iowa wind blows up my skirt. Considering some of the rose thorn thickets that sneak through, I can just about imagine what would happen if I have a loose fitting blanket wool thing on. Now if I am riding my horse into Dodge City in the middle of the winter and did not want Matt or Festus to see my Henry mare's leg 45, I may consider a poncho.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2022, 05:41:52 AM »
No worries if you wear a belt on the outside.  Asbells ponchos are nice.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Elsecaller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2022, 07:43:22 PM »
Asbell's wool poncho. does not hinder my shooting and is a good camouflaged. Also it keeps the weather off of me.

Looks like a guide way to disguise the human form.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2022, 11:53:57 AM »
Asbell's poncho is designed for bowhunters by bowhunters. Like most things it will take a little practice to make it work for you. One thing I like about the poncho is in bad weather you can  protect yourself and your bow and arrows by covering them with the poncho. Call Teresa direct if you have questions. She is great to work with.

Online Tim Reese

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Cut it out
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2022, 03:22:58 PM »
Ron you our the Clint Eastwood of traditional bow hunting for sure. Lol.
66” Northern Mist Superior
68” Howard Hill cheetah

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2022, 06:07:55 PM »
Nah, Ron reminds me of Bear Claw in the Jeremiah Johnson movie. By the way Ron, that is a compliment. I am just not sure I could make the poncho work. I'm with the crowd sipping the goodies in camp. Make mine Scotch, though.
Sam

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2022, 02:54:37 PM »
I'm not a believer in bowhunting in the rain (poor blood trails... :nono:) and so haven't used a poncho much over the years for bowhunting, but when I have used them it helps to use a design that keeps the 'front' sides of the poncho short to avoid bow arm interference when drawing and that allows pinning/bottoning the draw arm side to behind the draw shoulder before settling on stand/taking a shot.  They aren't the best gear to have on for actually shooting a bow (especially if in a tree), but in the right circumstances they do make a nice outer cover for protecting against snow, wet foliage and wind. 

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2022, 04:08:24 PM »
I'm wondering if some of the naysayers have even tried a poncho .....works good for me

:dunno:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©