3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Camouflage in nature.  (Read 3721 times)

Offline Elsecaller

• Trad Bowhunter
Camouflage in nature.
« on: February 19, 2022, 11:06:40 PM »
You know, it occurs to me what a waste it is that companies have put millions of dollars into developing camo when all we really need to do is look to nature. A leopard or jaguar depends on their camouflage to survive. If they get busted, they don't eat. They can't walk down the street and buy ground beef at wal mart. Why fix what isn't broke? Of course, the answer is $$$, but if you want to be a predator dress like a predator. I've never seen a predator with fur that looks like detailed sticks, twigs, and leaves.

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Camouflage in nature.
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022, 11:45:05 PM »
So buy you some leopard print hunting clothes and go get it. 
Seems to me they aren't loosing any money and although I dont have any money invested in those companies I wouldn't think it would be a bad investment. 
Personally I'm a Mossy Oak fan.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline Elsecaller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 12:18:10 AM »
So buy you some leopard print hunting clothes and go get it. 
Seems to me they aren't loosing any money and although I dont have any money invested in those companies I wouldn't think it would be a bad investment. 
Personally I'm a Mossy Oak fan.

I'm not saying they're going to lose money, they make a lot of money, which is why they can afford to spend millions in developing patterns.

I'm just saying hunters don't have to spend the big bucks on the newest camo patterns. You can make your own camo that can be just as effective... or just wear a plaid. Plaid operates on principles similar to natural camouflages in nature.

Offline beemann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2022, 01:04:06 AM »
I have this picture in my neat photos stash. It may have been on here before.  Find the leopard.

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2022, 06:49:13 AM »
Fred Bear said “the best camouflage is called sit down and be quiet”
Tim B

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2022, 08:05:39 AM »
I have several different camo patterns that I like. Also, I have numerous plaid garments that seem to be effective. I like them all. However, I think the quote from Fred Bear is very solid. Actually, back in the rifle days, I killed numerous deer when not wearing any camo at all. Long story short is that you should use it if you like it or not use it if you don't like it. Why should I care what another guy uses? I sure don't let the opinions of others make up my mind, either. Regarding the money angle, the clothes producers are in business to make money - it is their job. True, many patterns seem to be designed more to appeal to people rather than to fool the eyes of game. That is where hunter knowledge and experience come into play. Try it out and find out what works best in the area to be hunted. I wish the old military WWII style that was reversible (green camo on one side and brown camo on the other) was still readily available. Still, let me paraphrase Fred Bear by saying that the best way to fool the deer is to find a good spot, put your nose in the wind, be still, and be quiet.
Sam

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2022, 08:31:03 AM »
Yep.  I was fortunate to know Mart Gibson several years and spent a few spring turkey seasons hunting his place in north Missouri.  He'd normally kill a turkey the first day in his blue overalls and his red plaid jacket on. 
Being still is definitely a key. 
But you'll pay as much for a decent plaid shirt as a decent camo shirt. 
Camo was actually developed as a military attempt to hide people and equipment being looked for by other people.  Not just still people but moving through terrain so they would be harder to pick out.  Even from the air.  Hunters coming home just adapted it. 
Now computer imaging makes all kinds of things possible.
So if the animals dont care, and I've never had a passing squirrel stop and give me a fashion tip, then it comes down to preference. 
So why are the plaid preferring people so mad about camo?
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2022, 09:21:29 AM »
Beemann, he's at the top of the tree. :-)

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2022, 10:39:59 AM »
Remind me to never never go into  leopard country...I can't find him/her...

Offline Elsecaller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2022, 10:52:39 AM »
Yeah, this isn't a post to shame people who buy Mossy Oak or Realtree, etc Camo. You should wear whatever makes you comfortable and makes you enjoy the hunt. I wear a combination of plain neutrals, plaids, and ASAT camo myself.

I guess the point I was making is that I'm surprised companies and hunters haven't made camo's inspired by leopard rosettes, tiger stripes, giraffe print etc, especially since most states have blaze orange requirements and those type of camos would fit well on hunter orange. Clearly the patterns are effective at breaking up outlines.

Well except for tiger stripe camo, that has been made....but then I'm surprised there isnt hunter orange tiger stripe, which I think would be very effective.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2022, 11:25:46 AM by Elsecaller »

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2022, 11:41:46 AM »
I wear camo because the pockets are better usually, but it's not super needed. Ever have a doe lay down 30 yards away, look away and have trouble locating her again?  :)

Ever spot a bobcat sitting still?  I havent...

That said, I think the texture of the fabric is probably more important than the colors.  Think fleece or wool compared to shiny synthetics.

Rock on men !!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline beemann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2022, 12:42:20 PM »
I agree with sit down and be quiet.  However good Camo can do amazing things.  When Predator camo first came out I was a big fan and I had some amazing experiences.  I kinda got away from it because of the lack of quality garments being made in the pattern.  I started using a Ghille suit as well and the amazing experiences ramped up.  Wear what makes you happy, but if you think plaids and neutrals work as well as a Ghille you have not hunted much.  Some camo in specific situations can get you as close to invisible as possible.  I like being invisible it makes me feel like the boogy man. :biglaugh:

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2022, 12:48:49 PM »
Yep , ghillie is a whole nother deal  !  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2022, 01:03:32 PM »
I remember Mickey Lotz telling a story about hunting in the snow during gun season with a blaze orange coveralls on and shooting a doe at 5 yards with his stick bow. He must have read Fred Bears advise about camo.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2022, 01:25:54 PM »
Just about every natural camo that could be made has been.  Think WWII camo and Predator camo, for example.  Pretty close to leopard spots and tiger stripes. Regardless, a major reason folks buy the new materials is for their features and functionality, not their camo pattern.  And, the natural colors, tans, plaids, you're talking about are also available.  I don't see the problem.   

Offline Elsecaller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2022, 02:13:17 PM »
Just about every natural camo that could be made has been.  Think WWII camo and Predator camo, for example.  Pretty close to leopard spots and tiger stripes. Regardless, a major reason folks buy the new materials is for their features and functionality, not their camo pattern.  And, the natural colors, tans, plaids, you're talking about are also available.  I don't see the problem.

It wasn't really a problem so much as an observation I wanted to discuss.

that is a good point, I didn't think about how the WWII Frogskin looks kinda like leopard spots.

Offline beemann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2022, 02:22:56 PM »
Double click on it and then you can blow it up.  Tip of nose and eyes is what i caught first. 

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2022, 11:27:57 PM »
I use Natur-gear brown.  It disappears in the Texas brush.  Also Asbell ESG pathfinder, Predator grey.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2022, 08:12:59 AM »
My thoughts are that the entire hunting camo 'thing' serves two purposes; (1) to make money in an industry by the manufacturers and (2) fulfill the desire of the hunter either in terms of self confidence or in lessor instances....image.

I love KOM clothing, and I love the plaids by the Asbell's. Both are quality items in their own right, but I have to disclose that each provides an image. In a recent hunt on an exclusive public land hunt I wore wool and Asbell plaids..... and a few people asked me if I was shooting a 'traditional' bow at the required orientation meeting. I'm not too embarrassed to say that I kind of like that.

As said many times in different ways on this thread, camo is largely overrated. I remember wearing 500 inches of orange in my distant past gun hunting days while sitting on the ground....and having deer come close enough to grab their legs if I had wanted to. (Glad I didn't as that technique is no longer recommended:)
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Offline Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2022, 10:39:11 AM »
I could not see the leopard untill you circled it and my wife couldn't see it till it was enlarged . I seen a wild leopard in Africa last summer amazing camo . I to like nat gear .

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©