3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Camouflage in nature.  (Read 3728 times)

Online Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Camouflage in nature.
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2022, 11:46:54 AM »
I hunt wearing a ghillie suit that I made myself.  In my opinion, camo use in military and camo use in hunting are two totally different perspectives.

When "hunting" humans or trying to not be detected by humans during military operations, camo is an advantage, as the human animal is preprogrammed to look for a human form or outline.

Animals have an alternate view, as they are always looking for something not quite right.  The best camo in hunting either makes you blend in, so you are virtually invisible, or breaks up your outline.

What many forget to "hide" is their eyes.  Eyes will always give you away.  I use black all around my eyes and lids, and make sure that some of the jute from my boonie cover hangs down to break up my eyes also.  And yes, keeping still and silent is very important.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2022, 11:49:11 AM »
I use camo head to toe for Waterfowl hunting but not so much on MuleDeer, BlackBear, Elk or if I am hunting Antelope on a water hole using a popup blind I make sure I wear something dark and I shoot through the netting. The big camo company make some nice looking gear and some of the best rain gear I have ever seen in my 40 + years of hunting.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2022, 09:04:31 AM »
To be honest the lepord thing is a size perception issue.  I never expected it to be that small.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2022, 11:43:08 AM »
I couldn’t find the leopard either.
Good example Mr Bee.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline SlowBowKing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2022, 09:38:12 PM »
Tim B beat me to the Fred Bear quote. I’m a ghillie guy, but acknowledge that most anything should work in the right conditions.

WWII camo works well, and is my absolute favorite. Wish you could find more stuff with the pattern.
-King

Compton Traditional Bowhunters
PBS Associate Member

Offline Elsecaller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2022, 10:50:17 PM »
Tim B beat me to the Fred Bear quote. I’m a ghillie guy, but acknowledge that most anything should work in the right conditions.

WWII camo works well, and is my absolute favorite. Wish you could find more stuff with the pattern.

Agreed, especially with deer who aren't the most visually oriented creatures. Ducks and turkeys are a little harder.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2022, 02:40:27 PM »
Texture is so important, and usually so completely overlooked.  Deer don't "disappear" just because their brown or grey.
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2022, 09:30:21 AM »
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2022, 09:45:08 PM »
That piebald doe is incredible.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Online blacktailbob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Island Graphics Inc.
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2022, 04:50:46 PM »
Yep, wear some camo that looks like a jumbo bobcat where I hunt and you'll likely get shot.
 At least a vegan will try to pull you out of the ground first if looking like organic vegies.
[email protected]

Islandgraphicsfl.com

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2022, 10:09:33 PM »
Small and laying in the rocks. I saw it’s rump first. Yeah not surprising it’s hard to find in that position.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2022, 12:10:55 PM »
I think it is a little stretch to think that the spots on a leopard are the ultimate camo.  Just working with limitations of genetics and evolution.  Plenty of examples where different types of ‘camo’ is used, often more effectively. Especially with changing color.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2022, 12:16:22 PM »
There are tons of different camo patterns in nature that are adapted to their environments, given genetic and evolutionary limits. Different snake species, horned toads, etc.  Nothing wrong with choosing a pattern that may be better suited to your hunting environment.  I will agree that it isn’t always necessary.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2022, 12:20:26 PM »
Just because something has worked doesn’t mean that there can’t be improvements.  There is a reason that not many folks carry a flint and steel to start a fire.

Offline beemann

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2022, 01:03:09 PM »
That is cool as heck.....

Offline Elsecaller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2022, 03:49:00 PM »
I think it is a little stretch to think that the spots on a leopard are the ultimate camo.  Just working with limitations of genetics and evolution.  Plenty of examples where different types of ‘camo’ is used, often more effectively. Especially with changing color.

To be clear, I was not saying leopard spots are any kind of ultimate Camo. Leopards and jaguars were just the example I used. My point was more so about how much money goes into developing new camouflages, which are not really all that functionally different, mostly just to make people want the “newest” one to make $$$.

Offline Elsecaller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2022, 04:04:06 PM »
And of course it is perfectly fine to use improved technology as it progresses, but I don’t think most of these new camouflages represent the kind of change you’re talking about from starting a fire with steel and flint to with a lighter. That is a revolution in fire starting technology. In my experience, and through my reading I haven’t seen any substantive difference in the efficacy  of brand new camouflages and stuff that has been around for 30, 50, 70 years or longer. Some studies have found that Camo use makes no statistically significant difference in success rates.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2022, 04:30:07 PM »
Care to show any references to those studies?  I would be interested in studies like that.  It would seem to be very difficult to have good controlled studies for that across a wide range of conditions.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2022, 04:52:19 PM »
And of course it is perfectly fine to use improved technology as it progresses, but I don’t think most of these new camouflages represent the kind of change you’re talking about from starting a fire with steel and flint to with a lighter. That is a revolution in fire starting technology. In my experience, and through my reading I haven’t seen any substantive difference in the efficacy  of brand new camouflages and stuff that has been around for 30, 50, 70 years or longer. Some studies have found that Camo use makes no statistically significant difference in success rates.

Not to mention, that your last statement kind of argues against your leopard or plaid camo support.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2022, 05:21:19 PM »
You know, it occurs to me what a waste it is that companies have put millions of dollars into developing camo when all we really need to do is look to nature. A leopard or jaguar depends on their camouflage to survive. If they get busted, they don't eat. They can't walk down the street and buy ground beef at wal mart. Why fix what isn't broke? Of course, the answer is $$$, but if you want to be a predator dress like a predator. I've never seen a predator with fur that looks like detailed sticks, twigs, and leaves.
[/quote/]

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©