3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Camouflage in nature.  (Read 3722 times)

Offline Elsecaller

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Camouflage in nature.
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2022, 09:46:03 PM »
Let me see if I can dig it up.

Offline Elsecaller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2022, 10:05:01 PM »
https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0103487

Findings: "Despite its prevalence among sampled hunters (80%), camouflage had no influence on size of killed prey."

It's a very crude measure, but its a start. Let me see if I can find the other one.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2022, 10:36:53 PM »
Yes, I hope the other one has relevance. This one really doesn’t, and certain has nothing to do with hunter success, especially at archery distances.

Offline InFamousElGuapo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2022, 09:53:49 AM »
A copperhead's camo looks like leaves and works really well. But I do agree with what you are saying.
Toeke whip
Sarrels blueridge longbow

Offline Elsecaller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2022, 08:47:07 PM »
Yes, I hope the other one has relevance. This one really doesn’t, and certain has nothing to do with hunter success, especially at archery distances.

I cannot find it, so I'll withdraw that part. However, I don't want this to become just another discussion of camouflage vs. non-camouflage. This was never meant to be anti-camouflage. My observation was simply that I don't think the modern patterns they whip out every year are quantifiably better than 40-year-old patterns like ASAT or patterns that mimmick natural camouflage found in animals.

However, I disagree that the size of animal harvested has nothing to do with hunter success. Many hunters, the majority I would assume, define success in terms of animal size. That is why most hunters want that 10-point trophy buck. That is why derogatory terms like dink exist for small deer to rub our buddies noses in it. Most hunters, and fishermen for that matter, want to get "the big one". But that also speaks to the sliding scale of what we consider as "succuss" when hunting and fishing. A small buck is better than no buck, but I don't think many people would choose the small buck over a big buck if given the choice. 

After all, animal size correlates with age, experience, intelligence, adaptability and the ability for an animal to survive. Hunting game don't typically make it to peak age unless they are wary and well-adapted. It is typically more difficult to kill a buck that has made it to the peak of their lifespan than younger bucks because a.) they have experience and have developed their ability to detect danger/ interact with their environment in ways that improve their safety and b.) they likely already had well-suited characteristics to have made it that long. Therefore, hunting success can be measured in part (but certainly not completely) based on the size of an animal one is able to kill.

As for the distance and use of archery equipment, the study did not distinguish between animals killed with bow or gun, and I agree these are important distinctions when discussing the topic, but I do not feel it is a safe assumption to presume the findings automatically don't apply to archery when it is very possible a large portion of the animals surveyed were killed with bow and arrow. Type of prey is another important consideration and the study only looked at ungulates. Obviously, birds or predators may have different findings.

I don't think what I'm saying is all that out there. Many individuals, some on this forum probably, have killed plenty of deer at traditional archery range in  70-year-old patterns like frogskin, or 40-year-old patterns like ASAT. I have yet to see any empirical evidence the latest Mossy Oak or Realtree, or Sitka Optifade, etc provide any advantage over older options. The question is if the brand new First Lite or Sitka or Mossy Oak isn't quantifiably more effective than existing patterns or patterns in nature why all the focus on the new pattern that will make you INVISIBLE to deer? The answer is marketing and money.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 09:03:07 PM by Elsecaller »

Offline RIVERWOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2022, 05:51:10 AM »
In a word..."movement"......knowing when to and when not to is the best camouflage.   Camouflage is to blend in , become part of.   Movement separates ....divides...........exposes.
Arrows are the Life-Blood of a hunt........They need a safe place to be until called upon  !
Ralph"Riverwolf"Webb
>>>----------------->

Online blacktailbob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Island Graphics Inc.
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2022, 08:15:28 AM »
Yep, I think soft and ultra quiet material is very important for bow hunting ranges.
[email protected]

Islandgraphicsfl.com

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2022, 01:49:13 PM »
It can't be proven either way without studies that would almost be impossible to conduct.  Do people need to dress in the latest camo to kill things?  Of course not.  Does it potentially help in certain situations?  Most likely.  Is it quantifiable?  Not likely.  Can I poke a ton of holes in the study that you mentioned? Absolutely.  Believe what you want and use what you want, but believing that one pattern is the ideal for all hunting environments would really be somewhat silly.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2022, 11:55:45 AM »
A pattern that I have often thought would be good came from my cat. Her coloration is what is called tortoise shell. It is the black, grey, tan, and white coloration that is in no distinct pattern, like a cotton tail rabbit. When the cat crouches in the shrubbery, she disappears.
Sam

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2022, 12:06:32 PM »
I have 2 dogs, one a white Akita/Shepherd, the other a black lab. When we are walking in the woods and I take my eyes off of them it is hard to see them until they move. They can completely disappear as long as they are still. I think with animals their fur absorbs the light but some hunting cloths reflect light. For human's eyes the reflection is not very obvious but to animal's eyes it is. I think wool works like other animal hair(fur) in that it absorbs the light.
 How many times have you taken your eye off of a deer and not been able to find them again until they move?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline F. Dobbs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 25, 2022, 09:40:35 AM »

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #51 on: March 31, 2022, 10:52:19 AM »
Pat is on to something.  I like open pattern, light browns with a bit of green thrown in for Texas.  Or the Midwest for that matter.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2:
« Last Edit: March 31, 2022, 11:19:47 AM by Wudstix »
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"