Author Topic: My first limbs! IlF  (Read 1657 times)

Offline Appalachian Hillbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My first limbs! IlF
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2022, 06:44:02 PM »
I have a 35lb RD and it definitely moves easier than my 46lb RD. I do believe that is to be expected some. At brace height it does not flop to one side recurve and one side longbow though. It is pretty stable.

Offline Arlo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2022, 01:42:12 PM »
If you can flip the limb clear over using the string moving it up and down its considered vertically unstable.... But like crooked stick said earlier in this thread, you can sill get faily good performance with a floppy limbed bow.

I had a close friend of mine tell me that Long lean wedges help push the working portion of the limb out further, and tip wedges will determine the length of the working portion. But what determines vertical stability has a lot more to do with the limb shape going into the form. an elliptical shape will be much more stable than a true radius shape.  It doesn't need to be a flat spot, but less bend shape through the working portion requires more core depth,  and that is what gives you better vertical stability. For adding more reflex at the tip, use a tighter radius or arch..... Heavier draw weights are always more stable.  More beef..... Arlo

Offline Arlo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2022, 01:49:01 PM »
Got my first set of limbs finished today! Well, almost. Still need to work on tips to get them equal and still need to tiller. Was so anxious to shoot them, I threw on a coat of matte and shot them this evening.  One limb takes one more turn than the other to get even tiller, so I know I have one to work on.
Goal was 45 lbs and I hit 43.

This was two .001 tapers and one .001 reverse taper. I want to try some different tapers next.

Just a friendly heads up on your design..... Using wood overlays look very cool on your limb butts there, but the wood material alone may or may not keep that glass from splitting at the pivot pin hole. Most ILF limbs use a phenolic overlay for good reason..... Ive built quite a few sets without overlays at all and have had to do repairs and overlays after the fact on some of them....

food for thought.  Maybe use a piece of stable core material under the wood, or thin phenolic first, then wood.     Arlo

Online Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2022, 04:10:49 PM »
My limb reflex is 4 3/4 measured like yours.
True the limb dose not have to have a straight section but it works. Just more deflex before the reflex starts.
High on Archery.

Online OldRawhide42

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2022, 04:20:22 PM »
Thanks Stic

Offline Appalachian Hillbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2022, 05:28:49 PM »
Thanks for the advice Arlo. I will keep an eye on it. It does have a piece of phenolic added to the bottom . Hopefully that will be enough to reinforce the area around the bolt.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©