Author Topic: Additional gordon glass thru riser issue  (Read 1479 times)

Offline Sologuy

• Trad Bowhunter
Additional gordon glass thru riser issue
« on: March 04, 2022, 08:08:45 AM »
Look at pic of my computer screen.Simply a riser with glass on both sides as typical....they both go thru all the way and the center one is glass as well. I just did this quick to show my point.
Has anyone tried this to help strengthen riser ?  It would simply be glass instead of a decorative wood strip... BUT... Im worried about issues...like it delaminating and was told it had been tried and people had it delaminate....  this was by someone who I highly respect and has built a LOT of bows
« Last Edit: March 04, 2022, 08:46:45 AM by Sologuy »
Appreciate every day....take nothing for granted

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Additional gordon glass thru riser issue
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2022, 08:25:28 AM »
Without the over and underlays the riser is just under 1", very strong with the glass running tip to tip.

I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline Sologuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2022, 08:37:55 AM »
Without the over and underlays the riser is just under 1", very strong with the glass running tip to tip.

Yea...like mine now imagine another gordon glass thru middle as I show in drawing... btw..my riser is 1 inch as well, the wood..

Offline Sologuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2022, 08:44:29 AM »
See pic.... blue line as on drawing be another piece of 05 Gordon glass

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2022, 09:02:36 AM »
 :thumbsup:
I would rather fail at something above my means, than to succeed at something  beneath my means  
}}}}===============>>

Offline Appalachian Hillbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2022, 09:13:11 AM »
I wanted to do some colored phenolic stripes in some risers,  so I ordered some phenolic riser strips from Binghams. It is simply colored glass same as their limb laminations...

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2022, 09:34:40 AM »
}}}}===============>>

Online mmattockx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2022, 10:36:48 AM »
Has anyone tried this to help strengthen riser ?

What loads are you strengthening the riser against? Running an extra strip of fibreglass through the center of the riser stack isn't going to appreciably strengthen the riser area in terms of fore-aft bending. It will help with side to side bending but that isn't the major direction that the riser loads come from.

Mark

Offline Sologuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2022, 11:36:38 AM »

What loads are you strengthening the riser against? Running an extra strip of fibreglass through the center of the riser stack isn't going to appreciably strengthen the riser area in terms of fore-aft bending. It will help with side to side bending but that isn't the major direction that the riser loads come from.

Mark

Hmmmm.....thats a good point.... maybe I'll forget this idea lol

Offline Mad Max

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2022, 12:37:31 PM »

Mark

The belly glass is the one that makes it stronger, even a second layer on the back of the riser will make it stronger
}}}}===============>>

Offline beachbowhunter

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2022, 12:42:53 PM »
what you might want to try, is using an I-beam of different colored wood. It would strengthen it and only be visible in the sight window (which to me is the only way I-beams look good!). But, if glued well etc adding another glass stripe the way you show it would be fine too.
Ishi was a Californian                   :cool:

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2022, 03:26:46 PM »
 An I-beam would be a great choice I think, never done one myself but always wanted to.

Online mmattockx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2022, 03:41:06 PM »
The belly glass is the one that makes it stronger, even a second layer on the back of the riser will make it stronger

Yes, I agree. It is the extra one in the middle that is doing very little. The ones that run off the back and belly are where all the strength is.

Mark

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2022, 07:42:09 PM »
If you got delam problem your wood is not dry. I beam gonna be better.
High on Archery.

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2022, 09:38:08 PM »
Had some zebrawood left over from Helens LB so I made myself a Recurve with some extra fiberglass. Its at least 10 years old and still looks good.. no changes/movement in glass to wood 

Offline Arlo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2022, 10:01:51 PM »

Can i ask why you are putting more glass in the riser ?  Is it just for accents? Or added strength?

The reason i ask is often times the expansion and contraction of glass is different than the wood in different humidity climates. I've had issues with wood shrinkage sending bows to low humidity climates even though my moisture level was excellent, and have the glass stand tall and crack the finish.  Same thing with phenolic accents.  I always try and stay with wood accent lines myself....   

Arlo

Offline Sologuy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2022, 07:32:15 AM »

Can i ask why you are putting more glass in the riser ?  Is it just for accents? Or added strength?

The reason i ask is often times the expansion and contraction of glass is different than the wood in different humidity climates. I've had issues with wood shrinkage sending bows to low humidity climates even though my moisture level was excellent, and have the glass stand tall and crack the finish.  Same thing with phenolic accents.  I always try and stay with wood accent lines myself....   

Arlo

The thought was for additional strength...however based on advice I have recieved... Im not going to try it

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©