3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Which Great Northern Bow? Advice Please!  (Read 882 times)

Offline ItzaKen

• Trad Bowhunter
Which Great Northern Bow? Advice Please!
« on: March 05, 2022, 11:12:45 PM »
I'll be wanting to downscale from my Great Northern Bush Bow, 53#@27", trad grip. 
I also have a Sovereign Archery/John Fazio, "Trident" recurve, with a locator grip.  But, I'm getting older and would enjoy a lighter bow for my future.

I've been asking questions on diff. trad talk sites, but I'd like some brief answers from y'all.

I'm looking at the Great Northern Ghost recurve, Fireball, and BushBow.

Ghost:  What is the width of the riser/shelf on the Ghost?

Is the Ghost more nimble in the hands than typical, large-handled recurves?; is it more like my BushBow?

Have you shot a Ghost with a trad grip and does that shape make it more like the other two bows?

Fireball:  Does it draw/behave somewhere between my Bush Bow and The Ghost?

Finally:  I dropped an arrow on my BB limb and the field pt. made a blem... It doesn't appear to have affected the integrity.  This bow has the satin/duller finish.  Can you recommend what product I might try to put on/in this?

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Which Great Northern Bow? Advice Please!
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2022, 12:51:00 AM »
The ghost does have a small riser is not not wide across from the rear or front or from side to side in profile.

I bought the Superghost about 25 years ago because I wanted a recurve that handled like a more traditional longbow.So the feel was similar going back and forth.It was shorter so that was nice for hunting.My longbow was a 64 inch Mild R&D that strung into a D shape.It was good combo for me.

The ghost has a rather narrow limb and has a deep core compared to some recurves.I have had 2 Superghosts and 2 Ghosts.Same bow basically.Superghost has a more contoured shapely grip and it was cut to center.I think you can get the Ghost cut to center though now if you desire.THe Locator grip is very nice and I like thier broomhandle grip as well.The Superghost grip is also very nice with its egg shaped sides.

I have had 3 bushbows.I like the Bushbow.I do prefer the Ghost personally though.But thats just me and some may like the bushbow more.I have had thier traditional longbow and a few Critters Gitters as well.

The 60 inch Ghost is my favortite overall length in that bow.It does handle well and is nimble and a joy to shoot IMO.Pretty fast as well.Its quiet.Been wanting to get another one for awhile.My favortie one had all Osage limbs and I shot heavy arrows from it.Osage handles heavy hunting arrows well IMO

Never had a Fireball.But they get high marks in  the reviews I have seen.Always wanted to try one!Narrower limb than the Bushbow and more radical limb.Should have more speed than the Bushbow if you want a bit more performance.

Offline ItzaKen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2022, 01:06:47 AM »
I like hearing this!  My BushBow and my Trident draw to ~ same weight, but the recurve "feels smoother", whereas the BB feels more stiff.  BUT, it's far better than the longbows I drew in Montana, in the 1970s.

I did shoot Browning Nomads, Red Wing, Howatt Hunter, and Gamemaster Jet, I found I like how a smaller profile bow is to carry in the hand and how I don't have to "lock in".

I notice that the locater on my recurve, while being small, still feels like the handle is restrictive and stiff, compared to a trad, "broomstick" handle.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2022, 02:57:56 AM »
I sent you a PM Ken.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©