3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Looking for some guidance  (Read 1415 times)

Offline AZpitcher

• Trad Bowhunter
Looking for some guidance
« on: March 08, 2022, 02:48:41 PM »
Hi everybody, I just joined and wanted to introduce myself and ask a few questions. I'm pretty new to the world of traditional archery. I had a cheap compound as a kid that I shot without sights and had the time of my life chasing rabbits, quail, and other small game with it. I still hunt small game a lot but I always use a shotgun now. I'd like to get back into archery so I can get that level of gratification again. I'm hoping that one day I'll be able to chase some javelina or deer with the stick bow too.

With that said, I ordered a samick sage about a year ago. Got it in 55# draw weight and got a target and some cheap arrows. I realized I made a few mistakes. First, that was probably too heavy to start with. More importantly, it doesn't allow for my draw length. I'm a big guy (6'8", 230lbs, wingspan over 7') and I didn't take that into account when buying the bow. I've since read up on "stacking" and I think that is what made shooting it so uncomfortable. I'm not sure what my exact draw length is but I would guess around 33 or 34 inches.

I plan on selling the sage and buying a longer bow, probably a longbow but I'm not opposed to a recurve. I've read that I should be looking at bows 68" or longer, but will that guarantee my draw length will be accomodated? I also plan on getting something much lighter, like 30-35#. It may not take down an elk but I'm a ways away from getting myself into anything like that anyway. I can get another bow after a couple seasons of practice and small game hunting.

Last question, I have tried to read up on arrow tuning but am struggling to grasp the info. My understanding is about 10 grains per pound of draw weight, but I'm not sure what draw weight I'll actually be shooting since my draw length is at least 5 inches over standard. Should I buy the bow first then go to a shop (bass pro, etc) and talk to someone there?

I hope I didn't bore you with the lengthy post. Looking forward to getting some feedback from you guys.

Thanks
Carter

Offline Sam Spade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Looking for some guidance
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2022, 02:53:26 PM »
Contact Black Widow they can be of service.

Offline AZpitcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2022, 02:57:47 PM »
I just took a look at their website and don't think that will be an option for me. Just too pricey. Looking for something under $300 if possible, cheaper would be even better. I appreciate the suggestion, hopefully one day I'll be able to get a custom.

Offline Russell Southerland

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2022, 03:03:32 PM »
With your dimensions, good luck.  :campfire:

Offline durp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2022, 04:02:17 PM »
For starters WELCOME !!!  Yes to a longer bow and lighter draw weight for sure...if at all possible find someone close to you that can guide you in person...not sure what to say about arrows that long but I'm sure they can be had some where...have fun with the journey  :wavey:

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2022, 05:54:02 PM »
Welcome to the site and to trad archery.

It would be a good idea to try to find someone in your area to mentor you.  Check to see if there are any trad archery groups or other archery clubs that might have a trad archer or two. 

I doubt your draw length is 33-34 inches.  Most aluminum and carbon arrows are only 32 inches long.  If your draw length were that long, you would be pulling the arrows right off the bow shelf. 

Regardless, as you note, your bow will add poundage as you draw it past the weight marked at 28 inches, usually 2-3# per inch on a mid weight bow, but at the extremes, i.e., the last inch or two on a 31-32-inch draw, they might build by 5# or more per inch.

The physical weight of the arrow has only a little to do with tuning.  Rather arrow length, spine and diameter, and how its physical weight is distributed (throughout the arrow or primarily up front) as well as the depth of the bow arrow shelf all play a role in tuning arrow to bow.

A mentor can help, as would a good book on trad archery.  Of course, you can pose your questions on here as they arise and we'll try to help as well.  Good luck.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2022, 06:24:05 PM »
Welcome to trad archery! You have begun a very pleasant activity, and you will find many helpful people here to help you on your way. It is a good idea to shoot a lighter bow, but if planning to hunt, even small game, make sure your state doesn't have a minimum draw weight, which is 40# in some locations. Have fun. Pick a spot.
Sam

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2022, 07:18:51 PM »
Welcome and best of success on your journey...
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2022, 07:50:56 PM »
Merely a suggestion:

1.   Consider doubling your budget
2.   Have some competent trad individual aid you in determining your actual draw length
3.   Contact Lancaster as they may be able to set you up with a riser and XL limbs within your budget.

I have worked successfully with Lancaster on numerous occasions. They are currently testing some limbs for me in the lab to determine the actual target weight that I should expect on a specific riser which they actually do not carry.
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2022, 08:51:23 PM »
Given the information you provided, you could theoretically have a 33” draw length.  However, it should be fairly easy to adjust your draw length to 31”, which would allow you to hunt with an arrow that is the standard length of 32”, by bending your bow arm elbow slightly.  Or, if you want to shoot targets, you could draw to the full 32” of the shaft.  Most of the time, people are unable to achieve their theoretical draw length, so you may be more comfortable at 31” anyway.

Later, if you decide that you really do want to draw to 33”, you will probably be able to find a shaft somewhere in 34”, but your options will be limited.

Any 64” recurve or 68” longbow should be able to accommodate a 31” draw.  There are a few 66” recurves around, but again your options are limited.  Many Olympic style recurves are longer than 64”, but most of the additional length is in the riser, so you don't really gain that much in draw length.

Bear in mind that anyone with sufficient strength can draw substantially beyond their true draw length by using arm muscles.  Especially with your stature, you want to avoid doing this and learn to draw using your back muscles.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2022, 06:20:31 PM »
#1 - have your actual draw length checked at a reputable archery shop. Stay away from Bass Pro/Cabela's. They are clueless when it comes to traditional archery.
#2 - take the suggestion about Lancaster Archery. They are true experts and have a great selection of import bows in your price range, ilf and traditional wood recurves and longbows.
#3 - stick with something under 45# AT YOUR DRAW LENGTH to start out.
Enjoy the process, it's worth it.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2022, 10:17:45 AM »
It occurs to me that you could use arrows such as Gold Tips, that have a nock insert available that would add 1/2”  to the overall length of the uncut shaft.  You have to buy the nocks that are cut for this insert, where the insert part of the nock is slightly shorter than the regular nock.  This slightly stiffens the shaft, but I would guess that with a 32 1/2” shaft, a slight stiffening would be welcome.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Bucco921

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2022, 10:27:03 AM »
There are some relatively inexpensive 25" ILF risers and cheap ILF limbs in the "long" length that will probably accommodate your needs. I wouldn't go the custom route either, wait until you know you want to stick with this and what your actual draw length is. 30 pound limbs at your draw length and the ability to turn the bolts on an ILF will put you in the high 30's-40 lb neighborhood.  Another option is to look for some of the older Wing target bows that were 70". There are other brands but I see the Wings more often.

Offline AZpitcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2022, 10:30:46 AM »
Thank you for all the help, I really appreciate it. I’m gonna go to an archery shop as soon as I can and get my draw length figured out so I can go from there. In the meantime I’ve been looking at the galaxy black ridge 70” longbow. It’s in my price range and I’ve seen some good reviews. Anyone have experience with it?

Also does anyone have any suggestions for a good archery shop or club in the New Orleans area? I don’t see much on maps.

Offline Larry Dean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2022, 05:05:22 PM »
I don't know much about the longbow you stated, but if a longbow is calling you it may be a good starting point. I would suggest a reverse riser 70" in a standard ASL like a Howard Hill in a bamboo model if the call gets louder. As far as adjusting draw lengths, not as hard as some may make it. slightly more open shoulders and bent bow arm can reduce the draw several inches, so you can use standard available arrows, even wood arrows that you can easily make yourself. This man has a 26" draw.

Offline Larry Dean

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2022, 05:13:49 PM »
One way to easily check your draw length for shooting a longbow, take a yard stick, place it on your chest at shoulder height, then with relaxed shoulders, no stretching forward, reach your hands out and see where your finger tips with both hands meet the yard stick. The slight variations may occur if you are short armed and wide shouldered like me, or narrow shouldered with long arms.

Offline R. Fletcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2022, 05:44:36 PM »
I just bought some Easton Carbon Legacy shafts and they are 34".

Offline Wilderlife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2022, 06:12:29 PM »
Lots of good advice in here and I echo all the sentiments.

If you do have a draw length over 32 inches that is highly irregular, but not impossible. You'll need to take that into account when buying bows, not just for the sake of stacking but also because the poundage will be so much higher.

Definitely look for a cheap ILF riser and extra long limbs. Don't be in a rush. Get some basic fundamentals down before you really start thinking about your arrow tune and all the rest of it.

Online achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2022, 05:00:38 PM »
Thank you for all the help, I really appreciate it. I’m gonna go to an archery shop as soon as I can and get my draw length figured out so I can go from there. In the meantime I’ve been looking at the galaxy black ridge 70” longbow. It’s in my price range and I’ve seen some good reviews. Anyone have experience with it?
Just up or down on this page is a list of bow shoots and rendezvous for 2022. You have one listed out to the west of you a bit in Landry parish. You might be able to cut a bit off your learning curve by going.

Also does anyone have any suggestions for a good archery shop or club in the New Orleans area? I don’t see much on maps.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline skilonbw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2022, 07:46:19 PM »
SO for long arrows i know the last time in the shop that they sold me the Black Eagle Vantage in 34" length. So that is one arrow that is available in your length. I agree with others in finding a way to measure exact draw length. That will give  you a good starting point on a right size bow to start with. If you are a lefty I may have one that might work for you just need to see the draw weight on it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©