3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who shoots black eagle instincts?  (Read 1142 times)

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Who shoots black eagle instincts?
« on: March 11, 2022, 04:23:19 PM »
Thinking about switchin to them .  Looks like they come with a 100 grain outsert, and I'm shooting 200 grain VPA 3 blades already on a .400 carbon.

The extra arrow weight doesn't bother me but wondering if the 400 will be too limber with the extra outsert weight? The small diameter will help I guess...

Bow is 47 @ 28 , fairly quick bow and I draw 28" .  Beman Centershot 400s cut to  30" with 200 up front that I'm using now fly great.

Any hints and pointers appreceiated ...
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who shoots black eagle instincts?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2022, 07:01:58 PM »
Those Centershots are 9.6gpi.  I know because I use them as well.  I would go with the BE Vintage.  Pretty close in weight and diameter.  6.5mm vs 6.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2022, 07:04:22 PM »
I know that's not what you asked but an outsert really takes away any penetration gain of a skinny arrow and can be tough pulling on 3D.  Not a fan.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Online the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2022, 07:39:18 PM »
I've used the instincts.  Keep in mind that this is a much skinnier arrow than your center shot, so all things being equal you will most likely need a stiffer spine.  And if you want to stick with that 200 grain head plus the 100 grain insert, stiffer still.
I can't give you much data on how they perform on game other than to say that I shot a large doe with a 500 spine instinct w 175 Zwickey for @535 grains.  The arrow was found 30 yds down the trail, having made it out the other side.  Bow was a 40# PCHX.  The insert is about as wide as the ferrule-- of the broadhead so it allows the skinnier shaft a wider hole to follow, possibly enhancing penetration.

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2022, 07:52:31 PM »
Thanks guys , I said that wrong on diameter . It will make it more weak !

Sometimes I just want more arrows ! LOL
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2022, 09:27:58 PM »
I have killed a lot of critters with them and still use them, but would not necessarily recommend them.

The stock outsert makes for a very weak spot behind the insert, and I have had multiple breaks on angled shots.  Also not much surface area for glue ,so you can lose tips on targets, especially if shooting broadheads into certain materials.  I switched to using the ethics archery insert/outsert and it works better, but a bunch more money and the inserts can still bend on an angled hit.  Eventually I will either use day six if I want a skinny shaft or just use the vintage shafts, which work well.

Offline TSHOOTER

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2022, 06:51:54 AM »
Kenny I just finished building and tuning some .400 spine instincts for my 44lb@ 28 bear SK.  Finished out with 200 gr head and 30.75".  I had been shooting .500 spine standard diameter carbon and had hoped to have a longer arrow for reduced point on distance.  The smaller diameter instincts moved me closer to center shot and it was basically a wash as these arrows are only 3/4 inch longer than my .500 spine at the same point and insert weight.  However, they finished out at 610 grains and shoot really well which is what I was going for in a hunting arrow. 
He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son does not have life.  (1 John 5:12)

PBS
TGMM Family of the Bow
P&Y
Comptons

Online Ulysseys

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2022, 07:29:48 AM »
I like them a lot and think they’re a great value - I’m shooting 29.5” 400s with a 150 gr head from a 50# Widow PSA. No trouble with targets or penetration, in fact the reason I like them so much is because of how much more they penetrate compared to a standard diameter arrow. It seems to hold true on game as well as I got a complete pass through on a quartering away buck last year with a 3 blade VPA.
Type inspirational or witty quote here

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2022, 07:30:41 AM »
Thanks guys! Great info!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline BowArkie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2022, 10:00:27 AM »
You could also use the Valkyrie system with them.. They sell center pin broadhead adapter so you could use them with any glue on head..

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2022, 10:30:00 AM »
All those different components and sizes. Must be why I stick with wood!
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline jcrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2022, 03:05:29 PM »

I don't shoot them yet, but here is a good review: 

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2022, 07:24:44 PM »
Thanks again guys. I'll prob stay with what I'm shootin since I have several and am tuned with them.  :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©