3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: When did 50 turn into 70  (Read 6182 times)

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: When did 50 turn into 70
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2022, 12:59:12 PM »
Yep, Sam, that's my point. Fads come and go.

R

Online Honest Jon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2022, 03:02:55 PM »
Seems like there are as many reasons to shoot lighter or heavier bows as there are archers. I shoot bows because it is FUN! And at age 70, a 40# selfbow is more FUN than a heavier bow.
Honest Jon
I will study and prepare myself and someday my chance will come-A Lincoln

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2022, 04:57:08 PM »
Guys, shoot whatever blows yer skirt up.   I honestly do not give 2 coyote poops ...  :laughing:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Mighty Big Country

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2022, 06:47:06 PM »
A friend of mine's daughter ordered a 55# longbow back in November because she has no issue shooting that weight.  I still believe you should shoot as much weight as you can handle accurately.  I shoot 63# at the age of 63.  I still workout a minimum of 3 days a week with weights and body weight exercises.  I may have to drop down in weight in the future, but my body will tell me when it's time.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2022, 10:18:55 PM »
I moved to 65# DHH circa 1979, after my first Ben Pearson 45#@28", as a youngster.  That weight has been my median mark since.  Built up my core with years of distance swimming, so heavier bows weights feel good.  With steady shooting 65-70# pounds is comfortable, if I take too much time off 60-63# is my easy/comfort zone, until I work back into 66-67#.  70# is OK if I stay at shooting and with my longer bow.  Still playing with my 58" Bear Grizzly.  Try to shoot it 3-D this season and get familiar with it.  Like to shoot 740-900 grain arrows depending on wood selection, with gnarly heads 160 grains and up.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2022, 10:28:12 PM by Wudstix »
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline mangonboat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2022, 12:50:52 PM »
I've had my own bows since I was 4 and from 14 - 54 shot 45#, one hunting bow and one target bow, and even dabbled a bit with wheelie bows. When I got back into trad full-time I focused on learning about different designs, bowyers, makers, design theories, materials ,etc., and trying a lot of different bows. Now I own too many bows and shoot bows 26-60# interchangeably. It is really cool to shoot a 26# 1961 Howatt with tiny arrows from 50 yards and watch those little darts arc through space then hit the target with hardly a sound. It is also cool to shoot a properly-silenced 60# hunting bow with big heavy arrows, where the bow makes hardly a sound but the arrows hit the bag target like Jeff Torborg catching Sandy Koufax in the last two innings of The Perfect Game...six Chicago Cubs knew that Lefty was going to throw nothing but fastballs, nothing but strikes, yet none made contact, every pitch hitting the catchers glove like a old time wooden sledge. Since I practice with some many different combinations, I can hunt with many combinations, depending on what I'm hunting and how I'm hunting. The super recurves make a lot of speed for their draw weight, but I cant get them hunting-quiet.
mangonboat

I've adopted too many bows that needed a good home.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2022, 09:09:36 PM »
This thread has got me thinking about my heavier bow and how much I loved shooting it. So, I strung up my 65# Wesley Special and took her out. It was FUN! I am just fine for about 30 shots, and then I get tired. Form breaks down, causing sloppiness. Yep, I'm definitely still old, but I still wish I could pull this bow for 50 or more arrows. If I could, I would still shoot this bow as my standard equipment. I suppose being able to control it well for 30 shots could keep me in shape to hunt with it, but I also prefer to shoot 3D shoots with the same bow I hunt with. I'll stay with my lower pound bows for most serious work. My release is still better with the heavier weight bow. Too bad my shoulders aren't up to it.
Sam

Offline Farmingdales Finest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2022, 07:37:04 AM »
Not including the aging bowhunters because at some point we will all have to lower our draw weight if we live long enough. But talking about the new bowhunters I’m seeing. They are usually lanky and weaker looking more like a female and 40-45# is about the most they will ever pull. Has nothing to do with bow materials or strings they couldn’t pull a 65# bow of  their life depended on it. My question what happens when they get older? They gonna hunt deer with a 25# bow?

Not sure where the line is for "aging bowhunters' but I am 55 and took up traditional archery in November. I am anything but lanky and weak at 6'2" and 280 lbs and a former college defensive tackle. When researching what weight to start with I was told in the 30's to low 40's.

I bought an ILF bow to start so I could swap limbs once I find what works for me.  Since I wanted to be able to hunt deer with it even to start I got limbs I was told would peak at about 40 at my 30" draw length. It turned out to be 46lbs. I shot compounds most of my life between 68-74 pounds and had no issue with that weight. I can easily draw my recurve back but I can't hold it back and keep my form like I see in the various instructional video's I see on Youtube from people like Tom Clum, Matt Zirnsak and Clay Hayes to name a few.

At this point I can't imagine stepping up past the low 50's pound weight. Since I was already successful taking a doe and putting the arrow through the scapula I am not sure more weight is needed for whitetails. I would feel more confident with more weight if I went elk hunting. Even then I am pretty sure if I limit my shot distance it can be done with good shot placement and a good broadhead.
EXE Scream 21" Riser, Uukha Gobi Medium limbs 43 otf,  Springy rest, GT Hunters tipped with 3 blade Muzzy's 535gr. TAW

United Bowhunters of NJ - Monmouth County Rep

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2022, 09:03:08 AM »
Farminhdale, I don't know if 55 is old or not, but I would go back to it in a heartbeat. As an athlete, you know how to build up slowly, and carefully, so go for it. As you go, my advice is to pay closest attention to your release at whatever poundage you are shooting, as it is one aspect of form that so many of us struggle with. Just make sure you are comfortable with your equipment. Shoot what you like.
Sam

Offline 2fletch

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2022, 09:27:39 AM »
Sure looks like "different strokes for different folks" to me. I was impressed once to see a guy of about 160# pull and shoot an 80# bow seemingly without straining. Then again there was the guy shooting a 29# recurve with good accuracy and a flat trajectory. It helped that he was drawing about 30 inches and shooting lightweight arrows. They both had my respect.  :deadhorse:

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2022, 02:51:57 PM »
There are probably a couple things at play here...obviously aging folks reducing weight is one thing. New guys though, no matter when/what, tend to follow a herd. In the 80's and 90's the writers in magazines all shot heavy bows....and many folks (lots of folks on here) followed that trend and may have ended up overbowed following this trend.  Issues certainly came from that for some folks.

However, nowadays new, young guys are likely listening to podcasts where the podsters promote really light bows, or they might try to emulate target archers with light bows (watching "tuning" videos on YouTube). This is going to lead to problems with inexperienced guys shooting animals with bows of marginal horsepower, without much forgiveness for error. Wouldn't surprise me in 10 years if the cohort of today's new young guys are discussing why they have moved UP a few pounds when they get more hunting experience.

R

Yes, I agree totally.  Only a few short years ago I could list a 60 to 80# bow and sell it in 2 or 3 days no problem for what it was worth..... now you can't hardly give one away.  And, no matter what the REAL numbers are people will still make outlandish brainwashed claims about how their lighter weight bow will perform the same as the same bow 10#s heavier.  In reality, they are living in a land of make believe.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2022, 02:07:32 PM »
I'm 66 years old now and have had to drop my draw weight down quite a bit in the last 10 years. I always shot heavier draw weights because i was in good physical shape and felt a hunter should draw as much weight as he could comfortably, and i still do believe that. I could easily draw an 80# bow until about age 55.... Right now i leave my 60# bows alone for the most part. I'm still trying to heal up a torn shoulder muscle and am not shooting much at all right now.

I figured out real quick that after pulling muscles, you just don't heal up as fast as you used to in younger years. This forced me to lighten up quite a bit.... I've used lighter draw weight bows to practice form and shoot 3D and i found i always had a cleaner release using a glove with heavier draw weights. (I like to hunt with a soft glove.)  I went to a tab on my target bows and that helped my release consistency. But my target bow is still 49# and hunting bow is about 55-57#.   

As a bowyer the majority of my bows i build are from 42-50# these days, but still build quite a few up to 55-57# each year. But.....I just sent one to Germany with 80# & 100# limbs.  go figure....   Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2022, 03:13:52 PM »
I just sent one to Germany with 80# & 100# limbs.  go figure....   Kirk

Hi Kirk,

Go figure what? What are you trying to say?

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2022, 03:30:27 PM »
I just sent one to Germany with 80# & 100# limbs.  go figure....   Kirk

Hi Kirk,

Go figure what? What are you trying to say?

Just saying that there are still a few guys out there that shoot seriously heavy bows even though the trend is lighter weights now.     Poor wording on my part.    Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Offline Blacktail42

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 29, 2022, 05:17:04 PM »
Not a macho boast here please, one benefit I have found is when I start my shooting drills, I like to use my 76lb self bow to take a few shots, not more than 10. What I find is that when I drop down to my 54lb recurve, it feels like I'm drawing much less so it enables me from the start to feel comfortable during my shooting. Not saying everyone please run out and buy a 100lb bow, just adding a simple help that might get one of your heavier bows off the shelf for a bit of fun.
“Even as the archer loves the arrow that flies, so too he loves the bow that remains constant in his hands.”

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2022, 06:13:39 PM »
We all got older and we all got sore shoulders from shooting bows that were too heavy.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2022, 08:38:36 PM »
Just a side note,I have a copy of "Ye Olde Sylvan Archer" from 1943.People were disagreeing about light vs heavy bows even then.I'm serious,1943.They were also disagreeing about how many blades on a broadhead and light vs heavy arrows.Some things never change. :deadhorse:

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2022, 10:11:57 PM »
JimB, I imagine the cavemen sat around the campfire debating these same questions. I wonder what their consensus was.
Sam

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2022, 12:10:28 AM »
May  :biglaugh:be Sam,may be!

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!