3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: When did 50 turn into 70  (Read 6180 times)

Offline Lonster

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: When did 50 turn into 70
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2022, 07:40:14 PM »
Yesterday I ordered my first custom longbow, a Toelke Whistler 60” TD, 45# @ 28”, I have a 29+ drawlength.

I hunt whitetails and this is all that I need.

Lonster

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: April 06, 2022, 08:44:47 AM »
I'm 57 years old, non collegiate defense tackle, 187 pounds 5'9". Don't work out. Been shooting my 64# moab since LTR hunt in February in progression to get back to my 70# Moab 'Herd Bull' and Morrison Cougar 'With Athority' for a hunt I'm planning.  And it's not a hunt for Bambi.

Signed, your beloved Macho.  :campfire:

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #62 on: April 06, 2022, 02:03:50 PM »
As I approach Grizzerhood, I am thankful for my health and all the physical sports and things I did in my youth.  Pulling and shooting upper 60#'s and 70# bows is invigorating.  Hearing the arrow hit the target almost as soon as you release the sting is fun.  And the thump of a 700-900 grain arrow really settles your soul.  If I get lazy then I'll always have my 60-63# bows to shoot, but the boys always want to come out and play.  Take care of yourself and stay healthy!!!
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: April 06, 2022, 02:54:13 PM »

Hearing the arrow hit the target almost as soon as you release the sting

Yeah, Wud.... that's how my 70# Moab got it's name.  I was at the famed Paradise and shot it for the 1st time in front of others and when I shot the 1st arrow and it totally smacked the target with a 630 grain arrow someone said "With Athority".

90% have never ran the numbers on their equipment....

90% have no clue the efficiency of their equipment...

90% don't want to hear it....

90% have no clue about broadband performance as they have never ran group hunts or leases for YEARS and kept records or killed enough animals to know......

90% don't kill enough to even know...

90% have never seen an animal and wondered if they had enough bow... ( aka this animal with saddle bags I could see from 70 yards away sent me back to my truck to trade my 60#er for my 70#er and 90% won't take the time for the video to download https://www.tradgang.com/tgsmf/index.php?topic=168282.0

Yet 90% will make fun of the 10% and tell them they don't know what they are taking about and label them....
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Bamboozle

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: April 06, 2022, 03:23:24 PM »
OMG, someone finally said it.  :clapper:
Get bamboo.

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: April 06, 2022, 03:39:56 PM »
Great post Terry
Although I think you are being too generous at 10% :)

Hearing the arrow hit the target almost as soon as you release the sting

Yeah, Wud.... that's how my 70# Moab got it's name.  I was at the famed Paradise and shot it for the 1st time in front of others and when I shot the 1st arrow and it totally smacked the target with a 630 grain arrow someone said "With Athority".

90% have never ran the numbers on their equipment....

90% have no clue the efficiency of their equipment...

90% don't want to hear it....

90% have no clue about broadband performance as they have never ran group hunts or leases for YEARS and kept records or killed enough animals to know......

90% have never seen an animal and wondered if they had enough bow... ( aka this animal with saddle bags I could see from 70 yards away sent me back to my truck to trade my 60#er for my 70#er and 90% won't take the time for the video to download https://www.tradgang.com/tgsmf/index.php?topic=168282.0

Yet 90% will make fun of the 10% and tell them they don't know what they are taking about and label them....
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: April 06, 2022, 08:06:15 PM »
What numbers is it you think most haven't run? No doubt that many don't kill the number or size of critter that Terry does but I'll bet they know whether or not their bow does what they need it to do.

A wise man once suggested "The right tool for the right job"

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: April 06, 2022, 08:25:36 PM »
 :thumbsup:

Terryx3..

R

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2022, 11:35:59 PM »
Was listening to some fellas at the gun range talk about the knock down power of their various favorite pistol cartridges.  What they carry and why and how they think your choice is inadequate and what studies they quote fir supporting evidence.
Not one of them had ever been in a gunfight.  Not one been shot at or used a handgun to defend themselves.
Was it Mike Tyson who said everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth?
If I could shoot 70 well and regularly I would.  Because more can be better. 
But not is better.
I'd you can shoot more weight safely (to your body) and accurately than I think you should if you are hunting bigger game. 
I would shoot a wildebeest with my 50lb bow but not a cape buffalo.
Inspector Callahan  said "a man's got to know his limitations."  That includes his equipment.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline Lonster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2022, 02:01:36 AM »
Guys I’m new here and don’t know if this is a sore subject or maybe there’s a back story that I’m not aware of, anyway I feel obligated to explain what I’m shooting and why.

I have always shot a compound bow and usually have them set between 70-72 lbs. I have a 30” draw.

I’ve killed over 100 whitetails with a compound bow. Sounds like a lot but I killed my first one in 1987, so 100 deer over 34 years isn’t too impressive.

I purchased a 50# or 55# Bear TD recurve around 1989 or 1990. I shot it and hunted with it a couple of times, never really liked it because it stacked really bad.

Have always been interested in traditional archery and finally got to the point in my life where if I’m ever going to do it then I need to do it now. So after lots of research I ordered a 40# Black Hunter longbow from Amazon for like $109.00. I have NEVER really wanted a longbow, always a recurve, but all of my research kept pointing me towards a R/D longbow. This bow is so much more pleasurable to shoot than my old Bear bow AND to my surprise I’m grouping pretty good at 15 yards.

I ordered a 40# bow because everything that I read said that I should start out with a 35# to 40# bow.

I have ALWAYS wanted a pretty custom bow and since the late 1980’s I have always wanted a Black Widow recurve. However, instead of a recurve I’ve ended up with a R/D longbow, so I began to research custom longbows and I finally narrowed my search down to Toelke.

I called Dan Toelke and pretty much told him what I just typed in this post. His recommendation was a 60” Whistler, 45#. He chose the poundage based on what I will be hunting with the bow, whitetails. He said that when he gets the bow built he will call me and tell me the specifics on the arrows/point weights that I will need with the bow.

I’ll be hunting whitetails and I’ll never be shooting past 20 yards. I’ll be shooting a SHAVING SHARP 2 blade broadhead. I have lots of experience with sharpening broadheads as I shot Simmons Landsharks for years, I would drive over to Jerry’s house and buy them from him right there in his basement where he was making them.

So there’s my explanation as to why I’ll be shooting a 45# longbow.

Do I feel underbowed? Not at all, I know my limitations. I may be a little optimistic but I think that I can kill just about any big game animal in North America with a shaving sharp, two-bladed broadhead shot from my 45# longbow from a distance of 15 yards. And there is my limitation, 15 yards and that is why I’ve ordered a new custom bow and plan on archery hunting with nothing but my longbow from here on as long as I’m physically able to.

Lonster

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2022, 04:09:34 AM »

I guess I missed it but who's making fun of you (or anybody)?

You might be close with that percentage. We don't have any big boars around here...no moose, elk  or buffalo of any kind either. I haven't noticed anybody arguing that 40# was the ideal weight for such game.

There's probably a large percentage of us that don't ever  get the chance to shoot at anything larger than an average whitetail. 

My heavy (ish) bows mostly sit on the shelf because I don't have any use for them.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 04:24:15 AM by mgf »

Offline Russell Southerland

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2022, 04:27:30 AM »

Online PrimitivePete

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2022, 05:01:35 AM »
It's interesting how this thread has turned into a contest of sorts but I believe the original intent is how lower poundage bows have become more desirable in recent years than bows of greater weight. Bow sales prove it, bow trades prove it, there is a higher demand for it and I'm sure there are many reasons why. Personally a bow in the low to mid 50's is plenty enough for me to do everything I seek to do in the traditional archery and hunting world. Is it macho, no. Is it impressive, don't care. Is it what works for me, you bet.

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2022, 05:15:08 AM »
It's interesting how this thread has turned into a contest of sorts but I believe the original intent is how lower poundage bows have become more desirable in recent years than bows of greater weight. Bow sales prove it, bow trades prove it, there is a higher demand for it and I'm sure there are many reasons why.

I don't see anyone arguing that.  Just people continually labeling folks and making outlandish claims that are totally invalid.  Not just on this thread, not just on Tradgang, but elsewhere.  I know the main reason for lightweight bows in the last 3 years or so, but I won't post it here as 'feelings' matter more now than then.  No, I don't shoot heavy bows, 52 to 55#s is my range, but like stated earlier, if I ever get a chance to shoot cape buffalo, that weight aint going to cut it, and I'll be labeled 'macho' buy the 90%.  :saywhat:

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2022, 05:55:51 AM »
It's interesting how this thread has turned into a contest of sorts but I believe the original intent is how lower poundage bows have become more desirable in recent years than bows of greater weight. Bow sales prove it, bow trades prove it, there is a higher demand for it and I'm sure there are many reasons why.

I don't see anyone arguing that.  Just people continually labeling folks and making outlandish claims that are totally invalid.  Not just on this thread, not just on Tradgang, but elsewhere.  I know the main reason for lightweight bows in the last 3 years or so, but I won't post it here as 'feelings' matter more now than then.  No, I don't shoot heavy bows, 52 to 55#s is my range, but like stated earlier, if I ever get a chance to shoot cape buffalo, that weight aint going to cut it, and I'll be labeled 'macho' buy the 90%.  :saywhat:
What invalid claims have been made?

Offline Sam Spade

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2022, 06:01:06 AM »
X5. Inferiority complex is rampant now adays.

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: April 07, 2022, 07:12:48 AM »
mgf, you got any trad bow hero pics you can share?

Offline charles m

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: April 07, 2022, 07:28:47 AM »
X6!  I totally agree and have been holding my tongue for a long time.  So many are following *fake gurus* on the big tech platforms and so many are now just parrots of fake parrots. Yeah, figure that out and you'll be much better off in life in general.

Offline charles m

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: April 07, 2022, 07:38:45 AM »
Oh, and BTW, we do need more kill pics from those that label others.  Not seeing any for years from some. (theme tune from Jepardy here).

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: April 07, 2022, 07:47:11 AM »
mgf, you got any trad bow hero pics you can share?

Does that mean that you aren't going to answer my question?

No pics but I've plainly stated that I don't shoot anything larger than an average whitetail.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©