3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Switching from Recurve to Hybrid; your thoughts, please!  (Read 1148 times)

Offline ItzaKen

• Trad Bowhunter
Switching from Recurve to Hybrid; your thoughts, please!
« on: March 19, 2022, 01:51:17 AM »
I'm considering getting a R/D (Hybrid) longbow, after shooting recurves and one flatbow.

Are Hybrids really a nice mix?

Anyone here made the switch?; Are you happy with your hybrid?

Thanks, All!

Offline UncasUK

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Switching from Recurve to Hybrid; your thoughts, please!
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2022, 07:07:49 AM »
I bought a 64'' R/D hybrid longbow made by Predator.
A very smooth to draw bow with no hand shock,
fast and stable and I prefer it to my Recurves.
Get one you will be very pleased.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2022, 08:44:42 AM »
The term "best of both worlds" is true. You get the lightness and stability of a longbow as well as the speed and contoured grip of a recurve. I shot a Thunderhorn one piece for years until I had to go down in weight. I considered it the perfect bow.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2022, 10:19:58 AM »
They are my pick , but you have to have a grip that suits you regardless of bow type .
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline ItzaKen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2022, 10:31:59 AM »
Thank you, All !

My recurve is 60" and my flatbow is 62"; both bows are ~ 50lb. The bow I'm looking at, 45# Hybrid, comes in 58", 60", and 62". My draw is ~27"+ with a flat hand, that this bow likes. I was thinking of going with the longer bow, but perhaps the 60"?? What do you think?

I can't afford to just "try" the bow I want and the company is on the other side of the country, so it's big decision for me.

This bow comes with the option of trad, or slimmer indicator.  My flatbow has trad and my recurve has the indicator and I'm learning to really "feel" the bows settle into my hand, with a bent wrist; I used to shoot my recurves with a high wrist and open hand; I like how easy the flatter hand is.  Big decision on handles, as well!

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2022, 11:18:18 AM »
I would go with the 62”, but that's just personal preference.  The most important things are grip and center cut.  Most hybrid r/d bows are cut past center these days, but you might want to check.  R/d bows run the range from almost longbows, that still have a “D” shape when strung, to almost recurves, that maintain the r/d shape when strung.  I prefer the ones that are closer to recurves, because you get almost the same speed as a recurve, combined with almost no risk of limb twist like a longbow.  I suppose it is possible to get limb twist in a r/d longbow, but I’ve never heard of it happen.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline ItzaKen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2022, 11:28:35 AM »
The bow I've decided on is a Great Northern, "Fireball" R/D.
I will opt for the center cut.  My flatbow is not and my recurve, is.

I was leaning towards the longer, 62", but open to ideas on the shorter ones, as well.

Why would you say to go with the longer?  Wouldn't I lose some of the efficiency of the bow with the 62", over the 60", @ 27"??

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2022, 11:58:49 AM »
I have always experienced more accuracy with a longer bow.  YMMV, of course.  Maybe this results from having a smoother draw.  Why should it matter if you have a smoother draw once you get to full draw?  I dunno, but to me it does.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline ItzaKen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2022, 12:02:15 PM »
Smoother draw and slightly more stability IS the reason I was looking at the longer bow.

Compromises!

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2022, 01:41:25 PM »
I’ve had a few bows, still have a couple ASL, a recurve and a hybrid. I shoot them all. My opinion changes on which is the best but right now I’d have to say I am shooting the hybrid the best.
62” 49@28 Tall Tines Stickflinger.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 01:49:02 PM by MnFn »
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2022, 01:48:21 PM »
Maybe this is a better photo.
I let a friend shoot it last fall and he commented “that bow is no slouch, can’t believe the penetration through the dirt pile.”

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2022, 01:52:38 PM »
Double

Online stevem

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2022, 02:13:32 PM »
I can switch between my recurves and hybreds with little difference in adjustments in aiming.  Performance is very similar.  All are near center cut and have fairly high grips.  I prefer 62" bows while my draw is 26".  As mentioned above, find a grip you like and make sure your new bow has something similar.  Center cut or near is way different than non-center cut. 
"What was big was not the fish, but the chance.  What was full was not the creel, but the memory" - Aldo Leopold   "Good judgement comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgement"- Will Rogers

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2022, 02:34:56 PM »
I have an A@H 3pc. It's shoots as good as my recurves but is lighter in mass weight. Some people like a lighter mass weight bow but with the 3pc. it adds a little weight.

The only good advice I can give you is to see if you can try as many different makes this will help you decide. Good luck and if you do get one pics. are always nice.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2022, 03:29:23 PM »
The GN Fireball is an excellent bow!  My buddy has a green one. I love shooting it.

It's a bow that's easy to shoot well.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2022, 09:03:50 PM »
stevem X2.  My recurve is a Big River Kodiak clone and is very lightweight.  The MOAB is easy for switch too, and Big River 21st Century clone is my big horsepower V12 bow.  My MOAB is fast, but the BR LB screams.  11-12 GPP arrows.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2:
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 08:07:53 PM by Wudstix »
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Zeebob

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2022, 10:12:58 PM »
I have a 57” d/r one piece longbow and a 64” d/r takedown longbow both built on KennyM’s designs. I prefer both of them to my recurves, but I can go back and forth between the recurves and longbows very easily. 

That takedown longbow is smooth to draw and very easy to shoot.  The guys that say longer bows are easier to shoot may be on to something! :biglaugh:

Offline ItzaKen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2022, 11:02:30 AM »
Great replies!!
Thank you All

Do any of you, former/current recurve shooters have the trad/flat-hand/broomstick handle version and how do you like it and why??

I, long ago, pulled the leather grip off my Bush Bow and like the feel better.
BUT the hand position isn't definite and it's easy for my hand/finger to be slightly above the shelf;  recently, I wrapped several layers of artificial sinew around the handle, just a bit under the shelf and it gives a positive position and "stop" for my hand.  Now, my hand is in the same position, vertically, but/and I don't feel "locked in", which I used to like the feel of.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2022, 11:34:27 AM »
There are a lot of different hybrid designs out there that vary a lot in terms of overall performance. What I mean by over all performance is how smooth they draw , string angle at full draw , comfort in the grip,  and how well they shoot too.

Bow length can determine a good or sharp string angle at anchor on many limb designs making it difficult to get a clean release for guys with longer draw lengths.

With a 27” draw this shouldn’t be a factor for you going from 62” down to a 58” length with most bows.

Take a look at these hybrid long bow limbs. These are my aftermarket “Bare” limbs at 28” draw on the tiller tree. Look at how flat the string angle is on this 60” bow. This is an A riser with #3 limbs.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/R8FTHgvXkz9ZtEWE9

Here are some other photos of my Sasquatch hybrid. These have been very popular over the years and I have custom built hundreds of them and shipped them all over the world.

You’ll note this particular bow has both RC limbs and hybrid limbs with a lower wrist custom grip. This is popular in Europe to have both types of limbs for the same riser. This bow was sent to France.    Btw… this 60” bow is being dawn to 31.5” by the customer with no finger pinch or stacking.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/af496SGEZNL6tJTs6

Kirk

Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Offline ItzaKen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2022, 11:54:31 AM »
Very nice, Kirk!
I'll check out your website.
Thanks.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©