3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My hand won't let go when it is cold- with as much precision.  (Read 1005 times)

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
The older I get, the more trouble I have letting go of the string when it is cold and I have been in stand for hours. Actually it is a disaster. I can't hit a deer like that. Does anyone else have that problem? I think my most agonizing misses are because my hand does not release when the brain tells it to because of cold or just inactivity.
 So I have decided to use a more open string hand. Maybe not the best for target shooting and it can make your fingers sore. Probably has all kinds negatives. But If I can't shoot a deer then something has to change. Looking back I have had some horrible misses that should have been a great deer on the pole. It's a long walk back when you miss that way. in recent years it is really a problem. I'm talking about even a 35-40 degree hour sit in the morning can make my string hand not work right.
 I don't shoot as much as I used to so 20-30 shots every couple days is OK on  the fingers.
I wouldn't say t is a finger tip release but my fingernails are not turned towards my face. I think my fingernails are facing at the target.
I'm wondering if anyone else has had to modify their string hand to be more effective in the field?
Thanks,
Tedd
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 08:53:51 AM by Tedd »

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My hand won't let go when it is cold.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2022, 07:38:02 PM »
Have you tried hand warmers ? My hands rarely get cold using them in my pockets or a hand muff , my string hand doesn’t get on the string until the shot is close
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2022, 07:41:05 PM »
I was thinking the same thing. Hand warmers or heated vests with hand warmers in pockets. Also I might be asking a Dr.
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2022, 06:10:38 PM »
I dont have that problem but I have used hand warmers. This past season I used rechargeable warmers I got off Amazon. Worked ok but a bit bulky. I ended up returning them. But thru further search I did see some fingerless heated gloves. Those may work for you. I'll have a pair by fall
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2022, 09:50:17 AM »
You could try one of those Thermacare heat patches,  the ones they market for back pain and such.  Sold in the drug stores, pharmacies,  usually with the Tylenol Advil all that good stuff. They are simply a hand warmer on steroids.  They make several different shaped ones to use on different muscles or areas of pain.  They are large (huge) and they put out serious heat and do so for a long time,  especially the one made for lower back pain!  Much better than your hot hands warmers.   You could put it somewhere handy to keep your hands warm all sit til the shot opportunity comes .........

Offline Bamboozle

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2022, 09:58:06 AM »
Sounds like some kind of bizarre mental target panic. Strange,  I don't want any part of it.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 10:03:17 AM by Bamboozle »
Get bamboo.

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2022, 10:03:34 AM »
I used a hand muff, an insulated camo fleece tube that straps around your waist to keep my hands warm. I didn't need to use hand warmers in it but there was a pocket inside for hand warmers. Also it was easier and with less movement to get my hands in and out than putting them in my pockets.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Flem

• Trad Bowhunter
  • "Don't quote me on that!"
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2022, 10:15:50 AM »
Certainly sounds like a circulation issue and heat is an excellent idea. But its not a fix. You should consider doing some hand, wrist, shoulder exercises and stretches for long term relief and increased circulation. Carpal tunnel exercises can be good as well as MTB specific exercises for wrists and shoulders.

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2022, 10:17:10 AM »
"Can't let go " does sound like TP.
Blaze out your own trail.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2022, 04:44:21 PM »
I thought everyone got stiff hands when it gets cold? I guess its just me.
I worked outside in some pretty tough conditions where gloves weren't an option for 35 years with all types of tools and mechanical equipment. Probably have some kind of damage. It's paid my way so I'm not complaining.
So anyhow I shoot with less curl to the fingers these days and it works pretty good. It seems the majority of folks like a deep hook.
Tedd

Online Montanabows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2022, 07:49:53 PM »
Tedd   give me a call  Dan 406 253 4949

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2022, 12:12:58 AM »
Have you ever tried shooting with a tab instead of a glove? Might be an option to peruse…. You can use a tab with warmer gloves.   .02 cents…..   Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Offline Flem

• Trad Bowhunter
  • "Don't quote me on that!"
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2022, 11:03:28 AM »
It's not just you Tedd. Circulation decreases as we get older. I have the same problem if my hands get cold.
If you are keeping your core warm and wearing warm gloves while sitting, but still having trouble flexing your fingers, then you are not getting enough blood to your hands, or you are getting arthritis.

For sitting around, a warm glove with the fingertips cut off works good and a warm mitten can be worn over it

For hiking, when you don't need as much insulation, glueing leather onto a tight fitting glove works great. Its not for target sessions, but fine for one or two shots at a time.

Still, flexibility and muscle tone= circulation, if you have 10min a day to spare for some hand exercises.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2022, 08:38:29 PM »
Dan,
Thanks for your help. And everyone else. I think a combination of staying warmer and better string hand technique will get me thru!
Its really something how a little coaching helps some days. I've killed a pile of deer but the world spins so fast these days then you can can't always be the shooter you want to be. I don't have the luxury of investing fully in shooting my bows in leisure and relaxation right now. I will someday.
I lost an employee in a traffic accident today. He was a fine young man and had a knack for finding arrow heads even though he was not an avid bow hunter. Its really sad.
Tonight my bow was a nice escape when I got home. I talked to Dan then when and knocked the center out of my target. I feel so bad for this young mans family. He was such an awesome guy. Cut down too soon.
Me keeping my hand warm isn't so important.
Tedd

Offline KAZ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2022, 09:45:56 PM »
Saddened to hear of your loss :pray: It does indeed put things in to perspective :notworthy:

I hope and pray you and the immediate family find peace, comfort, and strength in the coming days. :campfire:

Do whatever you have to for warming your hand and pull it out when it’s time to shoot, and only then :archer2:

Take care,

KAZ

Offline charles m

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2022, 07:41:18 AM »
The 'can't let go' is what gets me. Don't understand that at all just because its cold you can't let go?  How do you drive on cold mornings?  Seriously, you should see a doctor as you may have some other issues going on that could be serious.

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2022, 08:51:08 AM »
Re-phrased. I can't let go of the string with the same precision as I can on a warm day.
I was experimenting with a little less string grip. Those are some of the most ridiculous responses I have ever seen on here. And I suspect you knew what I was saying to start with. BTW, I do have a heater in the truck.
 It's a medical fact that your dexterity decreases with cold. You ever try to check your phone for messages after sitting immobile in the cold for a few hours? Try coming down the tree stand steps when you are cold?
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21077564/

The photo shows a time a few years ago when it was much colder than predicted that morning on an early hunt. It was about 16 degrees. (supposed to be like 35 and warming with the sun to the 60s). I had decided to get in the stand really early because had to cross an open field where the deer would be at sunrise and sit in a pretty exposed fence row where the wind was just relentless. I used all the tricks in the book and made the best of the clothing I had.The deer usually bed before the sun is up at this spot so there was small chance to see a deer or get a shot. After seeing nothing and getting ready to get down a single doe came along the fence row. I shot and hit her in the neck. My first thought was wow, that was horrible. It felt like the brain said "right there, right now". But the fingers were a micro second behind on their job. Results were lucky. But I pay attention to the condition and I like late season hunting. So I was experiminting with string hand and thought other might have experienced the same.

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My hand won't let go when it is cold- with as much precision.
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2022, 11:19:33 AM »
I know exactly what you are talking about Ted. I had the exact thing happen to me a few winters ago. My brain said “let go”, but my hand did not. I knew when the string left my hand I had drifted right. Shot landed right in the liver. Thankfully there was plenty of snow on the ground to facilitate the recovery.

My hands stay plenty warm in my pocket. But on those blistering cold days a hand can go from warm to numb in the minutes or seconds it takes a deer to present a shot. 

I chose not to mess with my string hold. Rather I have worked more on follow thru. Focus on staying on target after the shot. Not only will it help reduce the effects of a delayed release, it will help your shooting all together.
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©