3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Len Cardinale-Butts and Bows  (Read 22052 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Len Cardinale-Butts and Bows
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2022, 03:04:23 PM »
Thx Roy....

And agreed, other platforms be damned.  Lots of things hunters are fighting for and some of us are VERY passionate about it.

Ya can't be 'famous' for nothing like the Kardashians..... cause we ain't out to be famous anyway..... it's all about trad bowhunting.... but there are false personas run amuk on other platforms which Roy was not aware of as he is absent from them.... take note.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Adirondack Bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2022, 07:04:13 PM »
I spent a lot of time in Lenny's shop, Butts and Bows.He had a big Brown Bear mount standing on it's hind legs. It was in a glass  enclosure. Very impressive. He killed it on the Alaska Pennisula

Offline Shug

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2022, 11:40:59 AM »
I worked at Butts for a few years… Lots of stories..
One that comes to mind…
Occasionally squirrels would end up in the drop ceiling. When this happened we would canter leaver one of the tiles down range and put some peanuts on it.. then wait with the range bows…great memories.

Len is not doing so well now he’s in a home with onset dementia I have seen him recently and he seemed all there but others said it comes and goes..

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2022, 11:59:25 AM »
Many great man and woman, are in the same situation.  Time waits for no man/woman!
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 01:51:53 PM by Wudstix »
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2022, 01:33:18 PM »
Sad to hear.  Dementia is horrible, and most times more so for the family than the person afflicted. I hate to hear that.  God Speed to the family.

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2022, 05:43:48 PM »
I have thought several times before responding to Terry's lament about many younger bowhunters not knowing or caring about Trad History. I think that is a natural response to something new. Most of us get caught up in the present quest to learn to shoot and to become a successful hunter. The appreciation for the history and those who built our traditions develop more slowly. We pick up a story here and there and become interested in learning more. Then we read books and magazine articles, we attend seminars, we discover sites such as Trad Gang, and, lo and behold, this stuff is interesting. Then, we begin to understand the importance of those who shaped this sport so many years ago. More importantly, as we mature, we seek ways to expand the values and traditions that not so long ago never crossed our minds. At least, that is how my journey flowed. I know that I still don't know much, and that this site has been a major factor in my understanding of the little bit of trad lore that I do understand. So, don't be too despondent about what so many of the newbies don't seem to care about. We were all new and clueless at one time. While it is true that some will never take to heart the old ways, many just haven't realized yet how interesting and important the old timers and their traditions are to our way of life. Now, I'm not well known for being the eternal optimist, but I believe that the majority of the younger people will take a greater interest in the stories of old. Those that don't pick up on any of it will likely be those who will ultimately wander away from trad when the next new fad catches their fancy. So, let's keep passing down the stories. Sorry to be so windy, but I feel we are doing OK as a brotherhood.
Sam

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2022, 05:50:15 PM »
I have thought several times before responding to Terry's lament about many younger bowhunters not knowing or caring about Trad History. I think that is a natural response to something new. Most of us get caught up in the present quest to learn to shoot and to become a successful hunter. The appreciation for the history and those who built our traditions develop more slowly. We pick up a story here and there and become interested in learning more. Then we read books and magazine articles, we attend seminars, we discover sites such as Trad Gang, and, lo and behold, this stuff is interesting. Then, we begin to understand the importance of those who shaped this sport so many years ago. More importantly, as we mature, we seek ways to expand the values and traditions that not so long ago never crossed our minds. At least, that is how my journey flowed. I know that I still don't know much, and that this site has been a major factor in my understanding of the little bit of trad lore that I do understand. So, don't be too despondent about what so many of the newbies don't seem to care about. We were all new and clueless at one time. While it is true that some will never take to heart the old ways, many just haven't realized yet how interesting and important the old timers and their traditions are to our way of life. Now, I'm not well known for being the eternal optimist, but I believe that the majority of the younger people will take a greater interest in the stories of old. Those that don't pick up on any of it will likely be those who will ultimately wander away from trad when the next new fad catches their fancy. So, let's keep passing down the stories. Sorry to be so windy, but I feel we are doing OK as a brotherhood.

Good post Sam
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2022, 05:50:56 PM »
Man I’m sorry to hear bout Lenny. Prayers sent
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2022, 09:31:23 PM »
Sam, it's the 'me too' syndrome.  Can't ignore social media and the need to be 'Famous' that is self proclaimed to be forced on the young by those that provide it.  Most are blind to it, but the guilty of providing it admit it... that they want to addict people to such avenues. Soooooo many are still asleep.... and on false positive platforms.

A great test will be the Little Bow Raffle... lets see if there is any passion enough to carry the torch.... or will I give everyone their money back?

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2022, 12:09:55 PM »
Terry, I don't really disagree with your comments. The "me too" sentiment and desire for fame is very real. My point, though, is that most who truly take trad to heart will mature with age and experience. The bulk of those who only want to make themselves look good will probably leave the trad scene when the next new fad comes along, leaving those who are really enthusiastic about "our" form of archery and bowhunting to carry the torch. Just think of the number of converts that come over from the compound camp, who over time develop an attitude that we recognize as being "trad". All I'm saying is that I believe traditional archery is in good hands now and will continue to be in the future. We just have to make sure that we introduce the newbies to the ideas that most of us hold dear. Chin up my friend. As we say in the more southern part of the state, "Everything gonna be all right". I bet you boys in the north of the state use that same phrase from time to time. 
Sam

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2022, 01:24:33 PM »
Seems like this gentleman may deserve a spot in the legends and pioneers section . . .
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2022, 01:42:14 PM »
As we say in the more southern part of the state, "Everything gonna be all right". I bet you boys in the north of the state use that same phrase from time to time.

Nah, we say  let's make it right, like northern Quillian did, so we do.  We just don't flippant kick the can down the road like Carter south ga peanut wander with the wind did..  So glad he didn't carry the torch or we would all be.....

Offline Brazos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2022, 10:31:54 PM »
Thanks to the OP for sharing stories about Len and his bow shop.  I could picture it in my mind and wish I could have gone there.  It reminds me of a bow shop I went to as a kid in the late 70’s-80’s.  I really enjoyed the thread until around the middle where people started arguing about crap I still don’t understand and really ruined this.  Thanks to those who talked about Len and his bow shop.  Sounds like a great guy and wish I could have met him.

Offline Gene Wensel

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2022, 10:51:46 AM »
   I have a great Len Cardinale story. Many years ago, I was flying into Newark, NJ on the last leg of my flight. On that plane, I saw Len with two of his friends on the way home from a successful musk ox hunt. I sat with them and heard all about their hunt. I asked if they were able to bring back their meat and trophies. They told me they had brought everything back as excess baggage. They had boxed the meat and wrapped each skull with horns in multiple layers of green garbage bags bound tightly with tape and string. When the flight ended, we were standing at the baggage claim conveyor belt, which happened to be the type that came up from the basement that plops all luggage onto a revolving pick-up turnabout. Unbeknownst to Len or anyone else, all three of their green plastic bags didn't fare well during transport and fell apart. Each bloody skull with the blue eyeballs intact had thawed out and came up the conveyer belt to plop onto the turnabout. There was a baggage attendant standing right there with a big luggage cart hoping to make some tips. When these three skulls made their appearance with a firm plop, the luggage carrier dude yelled, abandoned his cart, left his post and ran off. Two women passengers started screaming. Len and his buddies each grabbed their things and made a fast exit. You had to be there....  :help: :goldtooth: :laughing:

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2022, 11:51:23 AM »
 :laughing: :biglaugh:
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Online huckbuck

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2022, 12:23:58 PM »
 :laughing: Thanks for sharing Gene!!

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2022, 09:30:23 AM »
Great story!
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2: :campfire:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline ALDO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2022, 09:49:40 AM »
Made it back to NJ with a couple friends this weekend and went to Lincoln Park for a 3D shoot.  Lenny made and appearance.  Got to say hello, been a long time since I have seen him.  It was great to see him at the table talking with friends about shooting and hunting.  Wasn't till after I left that I realized I should have taken a photo of him and John "Lefty" Battone talking.  Missed opportunity for sure. 
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted."
     Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Shug

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2022, 10:03:18 AM »
Hey Aldo… Mark Kronyak here…

Here’s Len at the shoot this weekend…

Online Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2022, 10:35:32 AM »
Thanks Mark - much appreciated!

Glad to see that he can get around to places that are still important to him.

Nice to see a recent picture, I haven't seen him in a long time.

If you see him again, please say hello for me and that I'm thinking of him.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 05:12:37 PM by Ken Taylor »
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©