3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ground blinds for turkeys  (Read 2014 times)

Offline bd_10

• Trad Bowhunter
Ground blinds for turkeys
« on: April 06, 2022, 01:06:35 AM »
Any ground blind recommendations for turkey hunting? Wanting a blind that’s roomy enough and with a window configuration to shoot a  longbow or longer recurve.

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ground blinds for turkeys
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2022, 05:36:37 AM »
Any ground blind recommendations for turkey hunting? Wanting a blind that’s roomy enough and with a window configuration to shoot a  longbow or longer recurve.

I've got a Barronett Big Mike. Actually I have the heavy duty version because the regular was out of stock when I ordered. It's 80 inches tall so there's room to shoot a bow and the windows are positioned well for me.

Online Tim Reese

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Cut it out
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2022, 05:44:43 AM »
Hidden hunter is a good choice too. Imo
66” Northern Mist Superior
68” Howard Hill cheetah

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2022, 05:55:17 AM »
I have a variety. My favorite is the Primos Surround View 270.  I don't feel quite so vision-restricted.

Offline JamesD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2022, 08:47:09 AM »
Xenek blinds work great. For whitetails also. I have three of them, and easily shoot a longbow out of them.
Regular PBS Member

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2022, 07:20:43 PM »
I haven't hunted turkeys out of it yet but I use a Big Mike's blind very nice.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Online TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2022, 07:53:36 AM »
Big Mikes here too.
Tim B

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2022, 04:07:57 PM »
I have 2 double bulls and two Big Mikes.  The Big Mikes suit me better for my traditional bows.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline Jack Whitmire Jr

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2022, 06:21:57 PM »
I like the double bull blinds because they have the vertical windows.
Tolerance is a virtue of a man without any  Morals- unknown author

Offline huskyarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2022, 10:06:55 AM »
I used a BigMike for years and it was great, last year I switched to the Double Bull Surroundview 360 and I have to say its about the coolest dang thing ever to hunt out of. here is a video out of it last year, total game changer for me.

------------
Dalton Lewis

Psalm 37:4- "Delight thyself also in the Lord:and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart."

Offline bd_10

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2022, 05:23:30 PM »
Great video and shot. Appreciate the info from everyone.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2022, 06:22:47 PM »
I would not consider a blind that does not have shoot through mesh windows.  Also, those 360 degree see through blinds provide no protection from wind or rain, just so you know.   :o
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2022, 08:09:50 PM »
The shoot through mesh messes with my vision.  Especially if the sun is on it.  I'd rather just wear black and sit at the back of the blind.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Online mnbwhtr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2022, 09:08:20 AM »
One thing nobody has mentioned is the weight of the material the blind is made of. Wind can play a big factor when hunting and the lighter weight can shake and snap which isn't good anytime. I've used blinds for the last 20 yrs and found you want a 600 denier weight blind. Another thing is how the windows are attached when shut, if they're not zipped or velcro'ed tight the wind  can make them hum like a train coming through. NO ONE makes the perfect blind, there are problems with all of them. I use mine for Antelope hunting as well as turkey and that's really were the wind comes into play. 

Offline Stykbowslim

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2022, 09:17:08 AM »
Good timing as I recently had an original Double Bull collapse from a snow load and break two of the fiberglass rods. Primos replacement fiberglass rods will not fit the original hub system, so I've been shopping for a new blind also. I wanted a Hidden Hunter, however they are no longer in business. I just ordered a Xenek Sniper Blind yesterday. I like the vertical windows, the inside height and some other features of the blind. 
"Keep your nose in the wind and your eye along the skyline."

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2022, 10:08:32 AM »
Hey Randy, haven't seen you for awhile.  You're right, I don't think anyone makes a perfect blind.   Been using different ones for 25 years and have never been satisfied with any of them.  Seems like all the designers are looking to make sales, not build a good blind.   :banghead:
« Last Edit: April 09, 2022, 12:53:55 PM by BAK »
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2022, 10:47:31 AM »
I have several of the Primos Blinds and also a T5 model with carbon rods (was optional at the time) from the original owners (Brooks). I really like the T-5 as it has shooting ports all the way around.

The one I use the most is an old recurve dark horse model that I taped up closed the full view frontal side and shoot out the holes in the back. I've tried mesh and also dressed in black with a mesh less window. I seem to miss way too many times either way I do it. Its just something about sitting in the dark and shooting to the sunlight that gives me fits.

What I eventually settled on in regard to the windows is to mesh them in and cut a small hole that allows a shot to the decoys. Its seems to be as effective as full mesh without having to shoot through the mesh

I tend to sit them up on private land and just leave them. Being always fearful that they will "walk away", I tend to use my older blinds (except the T-5) and leave the best ones at the house. It makes no sense at all:)
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2022, 11:01:15 AM »
Good point guys I kill Pronghorn out of the Double Bull Recurve blind it belong to a buddy I want a blind with the same height and Big Mike's Blind Big Cat is 80" lot of room for a Stickbow.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline RIVERWOLF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2022, 01:27:22 PM »
Nice setups Gents ;)

What was that Big Ol' blind 3 rivers had years ago ?  I think is was like 90" in height. Never used a man made blind other than my "natural" man made blinds ;^)) No turkeys where I hunt, but hope to change that real soon.  I'd rather spot and stalk , but now days you have a huge safty factor in most locals.....For turkeys anyways. Think about that....I don't care if a man was in the most realistic turkey suit ever ...That for me proves Some people need to stay in the city or wherever they normally hang , and stay out of the hunting fields ...
Arrows are the Life-Blood of a hunt........They need a safe place to be until called upon  !
Ralph"Riverwolf"Webb
>>>----------------->

Online Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2022, 01:26:34 PM »
I think it was the Ameristep Penthouse. That thing is so tall it comes equipped with stairs to climb to the top:)
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©