3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: This "Autumn Legend" is flying under the radar  (Read 998 times)

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
This "Autumn Legend" is flying under the radar
« on: February 15, 2007, 02:15:00 PM »
Ron LaClair\\'s Autumn Legend arrows  

Some of you may know that I'm a strong proponent of Easton Axis carbon arrows. I think they're an awesome shaft and superb performer.

However, this past fall, I made up some old Acme Premium cedar shafts that I had acquired from John Grumley, son of Bear Archery selfbow guru Nels Grumley, many years ago. I've stored these arrow shafts like a fine wine and I tapered some of them and turned them into hunting arrows. I really have a soft spot for premium wood arrows and I carried them into the woods this fall with my Super Shrew longbow.

A well constructed wood arrow, for me, flies as well as my carbon arrows. When Ron sent me the pictures of these new arrows and the proposed name, it really felt like the warm fire up at Shrewhaven Lodge.  I've shot some of Paul Jalon's arrwos and another camp member at Shrewhaven shoots Paul Jalon's "bumble bee" arrows (white full length dip with black and yellow crowns and crests) and his work is beautiful. As usual, Ron only carries merchandise from those with top shelf crafting skills and materials.

My only question is "Why are these flying under the radar buddy?" They're a classic arrow.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: This "Autumn Legend" is flying under the radar
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 02:33:00 PM »
Hmmm...I forgot he was doing that. I should order some for my soon to come Li'l Favorite...
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 02:39:00 PM »
Are these barrel tapered?  It mentions a taper, but isn't specific.

Paul makes some fantastic arrows...prices are excellent....product and service second to none.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 03:07:00 PM »
Brian, Paul does make barrel tapered as well as nock tapered and parrallel shafts. The Autumn Legend arrows are 11/32 tapered 5/16 to the nock. I've shot Pauls barrel tapered arrows and they shoot great but not any better than the nock tapered arrow in my opinion. I like the nock tapered arrow better for a hunting arrow because it's a heavier arrow.

Like a lot of people I started shooting carbon arrows when they first came out. Good cedar shafting was getting too hard to get and it seemed that carbon was the way to go.

Well good cedar arrows are no longer hard to get. Not when there's men like Paul that have the knowledge and skill that's required to make a quality arrow out of wood that will shoot every bit as good as any carbon or aluminum arrow. There's just something about a wood arrow that FEELS right... out of a longbow or recurve.     :thumbsup:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline John Nail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 04:07:00 PM »
under the radar? Paul and I have done business and hunted together for a good while. His arows are tops in my book. He stays very busy making them.
Is it too late to be what I could have been?

Offline bjk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 05:12:00 PM »
Paul does an awesome job, I have some sets of both tapered and BT...I like the looks of these , are they full length yellow?

Good looking arrows...and I agree, Paul sure knows how to build em'    :thumbsup:

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 06:18:00 PM »
The Autumn Legend arrows have a Crown of yellow and orange, my favorite fall colors. A picture of them full length has been added to the website.
 http://www.shrewbows.com/autumnlegend/index.html
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 06:22:00 PM »

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 07:00:00 PM »
Those are some find looking arrows and the price is very reasonble for tapered custom cedars. Good addition to the line.

Offline Van/TX

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 08:30:00 PM »
So, from where do the shafts come?  Acme?  Rose City?...Van
Retired USAF (1966 - 1989)
Retired DoD Civilian (1989 - 2009)
And drawing Social Security!
I love this country ;-)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©