3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What String Material?  (Read 819 times)

Offline Farmingdales Finest

• Trad Bowhunter
What String Material?
« on: April 09, 2022, 05:52:36 PM »
So I just ordered some new medium Uukha Gobi's which means I am going to need a new string since the limbs on my riser are currently longs. This is my first recurve so I have a lot to learn.

I have made my own compound strings for the last 10 years and have many spools of 452x but have read mixed reviews on using it for a traditional bow. I don't want to screw up my limbs so what would everyone suggest to make an endless loop string? I have never tried to make a flemish string. Which leads to the question am I better off shooting a Flemish twist string?

Since I am low on Bcy 3d and Halo should I add to the cart D97 or 8125 which seems to be the materials of choice based upon what I have read but then Jake Kaminski seems to be a fan of 652 from what I have seen on his video's?

Then with the Gobi's if it is a 64" bow, 21" riser with medium limbs am I still making a 61" string or something else due to the greater curve than most limbs?

Thanks in advance!
EXE Scream 21" Riser, Uukha Gobi Medium limbs 43 otf,  Springy rest, GT Hunters tipped with 3 blade Muzzy's 535gr. TAW

United Bowhunters of NJ - Monmouth County Rep

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What String Material?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2022, 06:38:01 PM »
I have no experience making strings for super curves, but my go-to recipe for years has been 12 strands D97 with .021 serving. Also use 18 strands BCY -X but I don't find enough difference to justify the cost.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Farmingdales Finest

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2022, 06:41:59 PM »
Without looking up the price of the D97 and BcY -x I assume the X is more expensive.

Right now I am leaning 8125. It seems to be mentioned more often.

EXE Scream 21" Riser, Uukha Gobi Medium limbs 43 otf,  Springy rest, GT Hunters tipped with 3 blade Muzzy's 535gr. TAW

United Bowhunters of NJ - Monmouth County Rep

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2022, 08:50:01 PM »
Uukha limbs are about indestructible.  If you have a lot of 452, I say use it. 

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2022, 09:08:14 PM »
I have D97 and BCYX ,  Going back to all D97 when I get the BCYX used up...
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Tedd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2022, 09:23:02 AM »
The X99 seems to hit all the marks pretty well. Especially that it never moves. 20 strands.

Online Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2022, 02:44:05 PM »
Lots of choices in materials.

Sounds like you got more of a Supercurve style limb.

I did some research on Borders supercurve limbs and this is what he recommended for his limbs.

8125 or D-97 and he said he thought it was important to have more twists in the those strings on his bows.

He said those 2 materials and additional twists were more forgiving and easier on the bows limbs in general shooting scenarios and in the case of a dry fire.Kinda like a shock absorber.

I think some materials are too low stretch and have no give.Though some may like that.I personally don't.

I personally like a flemish twist on a recurve.But do shoot some endless strings.The flemish is softer where it contacts the bows string grooves on the curves with a flemish twist.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©