3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: natural tick repellants  (Read 3265 times)

Offline mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: natural tick repellants
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2022, 10:27:18 PM »
Yep....it's about time to whip up a fresh batch of diluted permethrin.  Get the pants and a few other items out and get 'em sprayed.  I even spray my pop up blind now an then.  Son and myself have had the full lymes treatment at least once and we've both had the short term treatment at least once as well.  And that's with generally being aware and generally trying do checks and be careful.  Yea let up a little bit though and they can get yea.....hate them little buggers.....and I ain't got all that much hate in me.....

Offline JR Chambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2022, 10:34:52 PM »
To me when you say natural I tend to think it won't work. But Permethrin seems natural since it is made from flowers.

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2022, 08:33:57 AM »
HUH?!?!?!?  Think the interpretation might be a bit off there......it's based on the chemical make up of a natural plant compound called pyrethrum found in chrysanthemum plants,  but it is a man made kill on contact synthetic insecticide.  I'd trust it being harmless about as far as I could throw a 50 gallon drum of it.  Just sayin .........

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2022, 08:50:19 AM »
Be careful when you're using this stuff.  It does work great and I use it myself,  but try to be super careful.  The use of this stuff has been really ramped up over the past 20 years or so now,  as with all the companies that come out and spray your yards for skeeters and ticks.  Wouldn't be shocked at all if in another 10 or so,  you're seeing all the ambulance chaser commercials telling you that if you've been exposed to these chemicals, you are entitled to compensation of some sort.   
Be safe with it ........ use it as directed or even opt to stay on the conservative side with it's use.
Not 100% sure of this from an ecological or scientific stand point,  but personally I'm all in with the viewpoint that there is not 1 species of anything North America anyhow, that is vital to the ecosystem in any way,  that requires the tick to survive.  Please correct me with facts if I am wrong.   They are a miserable pointless parasitic organism that is the cause of much misery for so many people and therefore families.   The tick ........ one of the ultimate challenges to the idea that everything was created for a purpose. :dunno:

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2022, 11:36:36 AM »
https://www.flickr.com/photos/soldiersmediacenter
Our army started issuing their ACUs impregnated with permethrin some 30 years ago. No Agent Orange type lawsuits out there.
In the article it also tell of direct use for head lice.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline TSP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2022, 08:06:05 PM »
Permethrin is effective and is perhaps the only tested and proven to be effective tick repellent available on the general market.  There may be others that have earned this honor but I've not heard of them...and I've looked (P.S. DEET is sometimes mentioned but I've not found it effective on ticks...but Permethrin DOES work, at least for me).  Hereabouts, ticks are not just a nuisance.  They can and DO carry deadly diseases (Lyme Disease, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever to name a few) that for many can create a lifetime of misery if infected.  If your area has ticks and these maladies are present do yourself a favor and don't mess around with old wives tales remedies.  Get what works, you'll be thankful later.

And by the way, as someone mentioned earlier the grade of Permethrin contained in farm store (livestock bath) products is NOT the same concentration or grade as 'people Permethrin' (such as Sawyers).  Buy the safe stuff, read the directions carefully and apply it as directed.  When it comes to diseased ticks and potentially dangerous insecticides, the best agent to apply liberally and as often as possible is common sense. 

Online Tim Finley

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2022, 06:50:25 PM »
How well does permethrin work on chiggers we dont have them here but I have gotten them in other states ?

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2022, 09:35:54 PM »
Permethrin is indicated for ticks, chiggers and mosquitoes.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Online blacktailbob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Island Graphics Inc.
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2022, 08:25:38 AM »
Check out Wondercide
[email protected]

Islandgraphicsfl.com

Offline madmaxthc

• Trad Bowhunter