3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anticipation of the Hunt  (Read 1787 times)

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Anticipation of the Hunt
« on: April 13, 2022, 11:48:42 AM »

Back in the day the Pow Wow used to really be a place for serious Bowhunters to talk about Traditional and Primitive HUNTING, seems like the last several years it has been more geared towards people trying to decide what color their riser should be and if it will match their limb color decision on their 30 lb target bow.

I myself, used to prepare and anticipate a hunt almost a year before the hunt, making a new bow just for the hunt and for sure a set of hunting arrows for the hunt. Every summer when it was too hot to do anything outside was spent making arrows. Then picking out that special one or two finished arrows that seemed to magically fly to the target from any distance. But as my business grew from a hobby to fund my hunting addiction to a business that demanded my time be spent making other hunters bows and arrows for their dream hunts, not allowing me to do it for myself almost to the point that I was unprepared for a hunt. I would justify it by thinking, oh well I've done this all my life Ill be ready when its time to go. That might be the case but I was cheating myself a huge part of the hunt, the anticipation and making of gear for the hunt.

So the meat of this post is to try and inspire everyone to enjoy the anticipation and prepare for a hunt. Talk about hunting, make things to hunt with or buy them if you cant make them and dream of the adventure. I am preparing for an African hunt in September and going at it like I have never been there before, but in reality if things work out on this hunt I could easily fulfill a dream of completing the South African Spiral Horn Slam with a sinew backed osage bow.

This is the set of Hickory shafts that I have selected for the epic adventure at Sofala. 5/16 hickory spined 60/65 and weigh 600-650 the heavy ones will be for Eland and all tipped with Single Bevel Grizzly broadheads. Shooting the same spine with practice points now.

Offline durp

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anticipation of the Hunt
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2022, 12:27:02 PM »
Anticipation and prep are half or more of the fun...enjoyment of our sport comes in many forms...so... :campfire:

Offline Cory Mattson

• Global Moderator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2022, 02:11:43 PM »
Just yesterday I was shooting and tuning arrows and having a lot of success. Things were going so well I texted Ron W since I have been shooting a bow I bought from him.
Turkey hunting every day this week- great weather - love turkey hunting- and when that is over here just 4 months till deer season.

Good Hunting and Safe Travels on your Africa hunt.
<><
<———————-<<<<<
Savannah River Bow Zone - Trad only Bowhunting Clubs and Camps

Offline rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2022, 02:38:46 PM »
Good post Mike!  Good luck on your Africa trip and your quest for the spiral horned slam!  i'm getting ready to slay some hogs this weekend (hopefully) to whet my appetite a little til deer season! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2022, 02:59:57 PM »
I understand the frustration of too much work and not enough time to move forward on the preparation.  The last two years my business has consumed me.  Which with my retirement covering life's expenses I can use a lot of this money for ranch, hunt, other wants.  But as the demand on your particular craft grows, your reputation at it puts you more in demand and suddenly you seem to be more responsible to them than to yourself.
I made a decision I would stop that but here I am backed up 6 weeks and still haven't retuned from having my bow reduced in weight.
Good work Mike.  Time to be sure I enjoy the fruits of this labor and the prep leading up to the hunt is an important part.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline Mike Yancey

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2022, 06:05:27 PM »
I understand the frustration of too much work and not enough time to move forward on the preparation.  The last two years my business has consumed me.  Which with my retirement covering life's expenses I can use a lot of this money for ranch, hunt, other wants.  But as the demand on your particular craft grows, your reputation at it puts you more in demand and suddenly you seem to be more responsible to them than to yourself.
I made a decision I would stop that but here I am backed up 6 weeks and still haven't retuned from having my bow reduced in weight.
Good work Mike.  Time to be sure I enjoy the fruits of this labor and the prep leading up to the hunt is an important part.

Thank you Gerald! I am looking forward to sharing this adventure with you!

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2022, 07:42:54 PM »
Thank you for the opportunity.   Looking forward to seeing that purty bow in person.

Offline F. Dobbs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2022, 02:52:19 AM »
Great post  Mike, all the hunters have faded away it seems, and none are taking their place. Nice to see such a post.  Best of luck to you and look forward to your story when you return.

Online Bowguy67

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2022, 03:58:22 AM »
I agree with the post and premise of it. To me I don’t make bows but making arrows, cutting feathers, staining, sealing cedar, glueing points and nocks, sharpening broadheads not only adds to that anticipation but as in your making the bows adds imo to putting part of “you” in a hunt. Arrows are but one little part of how I go about things but it’s something I’ve loved doing since prob the 80s.
Even slight touching up a knife blade, loading, picking a pack, thinking about what I need and can shave are all part of it. I understand your year out thoughts. I’ve never thought that particular way though. It’s always been a continual cycle.
I remember once as a teen. I came really close last day but didn’t seal the deal. I went home, in my yard that night, turned the lights on and was shooting in the dark in anticipation of the next encounters. Yes it was actually nearing a year out but I didn’t view it that way. Just trying to stay ready.
Even simple shooting a deer target off my deck, and I’ve been at this a long time now but never change, as I ready to shoot a deer target I visualize I’m in a stand in the woods. The deer is feeding in, bow on my foot. I wait a bit than make the shot. I can actually see him explode off leaving an easy to follow trail. To me the anticipation is as good as the hunt
Great post Mike
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 57lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 52lbs
62” Robertson Primal Overdrive 53lbs
62” Robertson Fatal Styx 47lbs
64” Toelke Whip 52lbs
58” Black Widow PSA 64lbs
62” Black Widow PSA 54lbs
60” Bighorn Grand Slam 60lbs
60” Bear Kodiak Hunter 50lbs painted black. My uncles bow. He may be gone but his spirit isn’t. Bow will hunt again
52” Bear Kodiak Magnum 50lbs

Offline PrimitivePete

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2022, 05:29:01 AM »
To be fair Traditional bowhunting has changed as equipment choices have greatly varied over the years and in many cases have become very technology based. I feel this is why the focus has become very equipment based over the years. The older I get the simpler the equipment becomes. Not too long ago I was bitten by the bug that I needed the sexiest equipment in order to have the greatest chance at success. Now a simple longbow with wood arrows and I'm shooting better than I ever have. So this allows me to refocus on the excitement of the upcoming Turkey season and start getting out to do some preseason scouting for the next deer season. The lure of the next best tool will never replace the time spent in fresh clean air with the echoes of the wild around you.

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2022, 08:36:34 AM »
I currently have seven working arrows for my set ups.
I have four dozens shafts, plenty of feathers but have been holding out in anticipation of having two bows reduced in weight and a new one on the way.  I just repaired my arrow saw. And need to get to work on them.

Offline Al Dean

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2022, 09:04:59 AM »
I remember the days I lived for deer season.  Although it wasn't archery at that time I still lived with anticipation.  Now although I am just flat to damn old I would still love to hunt some.  One problem over my youth is there are about 3 times as many people in  the USA.  Last time I went hunting my areas were over run with people.  I was still able to have success because most of todays hunters, archery, compound, Xbow or gun are flat lazy.  There is still plenty of hunting to be had but not like my youth where if we saw another person the hunt was ruined.  Times change.  My evolution in hunting has been rifle to compound to hand gun to traditional for the last 20 years.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2022, 09:28:01 AM »
Right on. Mike!  The actual duration of a hunt is measured in days, hours, or sometimes even minutes in the field.  Hopefully, the hunt itself will pay lasting dividends in a lifetime of memories to enjoy, but if you aren't taking advantage of the opportunity to enjoy the time leading up to an adventure, you are missing out on months of dreaming and scheming.  The planning, practice, preparation, and hoping stage of the process is, for me, a natural way to extend the experience beyond the relatively few days in the field that encompass the actual hunt.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Mighty Big Country

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2022, 09:48:22 AM »
Mike, I'm with you!  This Spring has been a little off due to certain events.  I normally beaver trap for 1-2 weeks every Spring when ice goes out normally around 3/20.  However, I went to PBS in Reno then my wife had her hip replaced on 4/2.
So, I needed to stick around the house.  I do plan to head out a little east of Badlands for turkey hunting in May. 

I ordered a pair of Meindl's this morning.  The Surewood 70-75 shafts and Easton Axis 500s are on the way.  Cory seems to have the perfect recipe for the Axis shafts.  Hopefully, a WY elk tag will show up in May.   SD deer and a probable Illinois deer trip in November.  I always do strength training 2-3 times a week, but anticipation of Fall hunts sharpen's the focus.

Online BAK

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2022, 09:52:04 AM »
Enjoy it while you can my friend.   :coffee:
"May your blood trails be short and your drags all down hill."

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2022, 10:06:35 AM »
Great post Mike,
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2022, 10:48:56 AM »
It is a great post Mike.  I really enjoy reading another guys experience of hunting with a trad bow. I would really like to see more of that here, even if you are not successful.
Case in point, was a recent post by Bronz.

Also, we have had quite the messaging between guys who are hoping to make it to Stickflingers bear hunting this spring!  Stuff like which broadheads work the best.  I am sure we will talk more about other gear to take with, etc. The outfitter Ryan Derlago even got involved in it. Everybody is getting excited. You can just feel it.

Anticipation and preparation is a great part hunt for sure. Now if we can get rid of the foot of snow we got in the past couple of days, so I can start shooting outside I will be a happy camper.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online Mike Bolin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2022, 12:35:42 PM »
Great post Mike! For me, especially as I've gotten older, the preparation is as important as the hunt itself. Practicing with a specific goal and tinkering with equipment is fulfilling for me. Knowing that I've done all I can to be ready for the hunt, whether it is for whitetail close to home or a road trip out west, the prep is a big part of the process!
Centaur longbow 62", 43#@28"
River Raisin Siren, 60", 41#@28"
Osage Selfbow 62", 47#@28
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2022, 12:43:36 PM »
Just yesterday I was shooting and tuning arrows and having a lot of success. Things were going so well I texted Ron W since I have been shooting a bow I bought from him.
Turkey hunting every day this week- great weather - love turkey hunting- and when that is over here just 4 months till deer season.

Good Hunting and Safe Travels on your Africa hunt.
<><
<———————-<<<<<
Cory, you talked Ron W. Out of one of his bows? I am impressed.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2022, 01:57:47 PM »
Getting ready never ends! This September will be my 5th trip to Alaska hunting, and probably the 15th or so for my buddy.  It will be our second with this pilot. My hunting buddy and I learned alot specific to this hunt last year, but it will be a little different this Fall going in on tundra tires rather than floats. Always thinking about gear and weight, we are restricted to 65lbs each, for 10 days of hunting. Trying to optimize camp to be able to take a little extra food 😋.  An extra candy bar looks like gold about 7 days in...

Fiddling with my bow, on and off, will end up around 60lbs and arrows around 650gr.  The only "for sure" right now are the Snuffers, couple of options yet on bow and arrow selection.

Hoping to pack a moose or two to the gravel strip this September!....oh, then deer season starts up right after I get home...

R

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©