3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: please be careful out there  (Read 975 times)

Offline Slickhead

• Trad Bowhunter
please be careful out there
« on: April 18, 2022, 07:38:22 PM »
A little PSA ...with thunder chicken season upon you please be careful and check your self for ticks. Wife was diagnosed with Alpha gal syndrome from a lonestar tick bite last year. cannot eat meat from fur bearing animals without the risk of severe allergic reaction. Went to the ER when airway closed shut until we know what caused it. Got bit again 6 weeks ago again and level  raised 9 points. It changes your life....so please be careful.
Condition can last a lifetime. Long time to go wo a steak.
Slickhead

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: please be careful out there
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2022, 09:47:46 PM »
Sorry to hear of this ordeal. I can certainly empathize, as I also have it. Actually, though, I have just about gotten over it after many years. I am now cleared for pork, venison, and lamb. I am still slightly sensitive to beef. Since there is no real treatment, it is a question of who's system gets over it and who's system doesn't. I'm sure your wife will be careful and take no chances. I hope her sensitivity will lessen. Good luck to your wife and keep the Permethrin close at hand as well as the Epi Pen. Thanks for your caution to be careful. Many of my friends really don't take it seriously, but, overall, people are beginning to realize it is a serious threat. 
Sam

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2022, 09:38:36 AM »
Have you looked at acupuncture as treatment?  I have a buddy in Virginia and he swears it cured him.  There is a lot of information available online about it.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Al Dente

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2022, 03:43:18 PM »
Sorry to hear that.  Ticks are the only thing I fear in the woods, besides stumbling across a meth lab.  There has been hookworm therapy for various auto immune diseases that have been proven successful.  Of course, it is not sanctioned by the FDA nor the AMA, but could be a possible solution.

Prevention is the best medicine to deter any tick from getting on you and having the opportunity to bite you.  I use Rhino Skin as a base layer, it is a pantyhose type material with tight elastic cuffs on the ankles and wrists.  It was developed from the special forces who wore actual pantyhose to deter ticks and leeches from attaching themselves.

Next up is that I soak everything except my underwear in Permithrin.  I spray my boots as well.  Let it all hang dry outside, then you are good to go.  There is a company called Insect Shield that sells treated clothing, but you can also send your clothes to them and have them professionally treat them. 

Good luck, and prayers for better health.
BOD Member
Past President
Life Member
New York Bowhunters, Inc.
>>>>------------------------>

Offline Homey88

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2022, 07:00:58 PM »
I second the Rhyno skin and permethrin! I hate tics!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©