3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: neck knives  (Read 4023 times)

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: neck knives
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2022, 08:04:22 PM »
Hard to beat the ones from Asbell for the money..
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2022, 08:06:42 PM »
Hard to beat the ones from Asbell for the money..

Absolutely!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline osage1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2022, 07:49:10 AM »
Where did you find the LT Wrights knives , I like the way they are made?  To answer another I am looking for a good carbon steel knife that will hold a edge just to use as a everyday knife.

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2022, 08:01:40 AM »
You can get them straight from LT Wright or there are several good distributors as well ........  they use a lot of A2 or O1 tool steel,  fantastic for edge retention and durability.  Easy to sharpen.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2022, 09:47:50 AM »
Why a neck knife vs a pocketknife with clip?
.   For me that’s a great question. I have a couple neck knives and think they are pretty cool but I’m normally pretty active and have taken some bad falls, wearing a knife that close to my neck and chest kinda worries me. I am also uncomfortable wearing something around my neck that can snag on something in the event of a fall or a canoe accident or something. Plus my knives hang blade down and for me, takes 2 hands to get it out of its sheath.
    So as neat as neck knives are , I just feel safer with a pocket clip knife and I can pull and open it one handed. I’m not knocking neck knives and would love to hear info comforting me on those concerns.
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2022, 10:19:05 AM »
It just gives you another option for carrying a small fixed blade. 90% of the time I carry a folder with a pocket clip, but when hunting I usually opt for a neck knife. I prefer a fixed blade for field dressing and if wearing a pack with a waist belt a sheathed knife can rub uncomfortably. A small fixed blade in a neck sheath tucked inside my shirt works well.
Always use a cord with a break-away or light bead chain and a sheath with strength and retention you trust. Handle-down kydex is great and allows one hand withdrawal.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2022, 10:29:05 AM »
Dave, I think it's simply just about what you feel like carrying on any given day for whatever reason.  Neck knives have a place for sure,  but certainly not for everyone or every situation.  All the ones I use either have the option to put on a belt at a seconds notice or are small enough and secure enough in the sheath to just put into your pocket.   I love folders with clips as well,  own plenty,  and carry them often depending.  Talking about being active,  on several occasions,  I have caught clipped folders on things,  branches,  whatever,  and had that folder pulled right outa my pocket.  The ones pictured above,  you'd have to do something crazy to get them to come out of that DEEP leather sheath.  I'd definitely say point down like the leather sheathed models above,  is the safest.  Tip up would be primarily for kydex sheathed designs ..... and even if the kydex is molded tightly,  I still feel better about point down, mostly for loss of the knife.
Sometimes,  you just want / need a fixed blade.  Little fixed blades are incredibly strong.   A neck knife makes a great back up blade for a larger camp or bushcraft blade, often more capable of the finer detailed jobs that are too cumbersome with the larger blade.  The right neck knife can be a great self defense tool that is concealed.   You see pocket clip folders in everyones pockets these days,  advertising not only that they are carrying a knife but what hand they most likely use it in.  Lots to consider ...........
I'll be honest and say most of the time these days,  I've taken a liking to the Leatherman multi tool.   It gets a ton of use.
If you are hanging at the lake, beach or just dressed really thin because it's so darn hot out and you ain't got pockets or a belt on your swim trunks ......and you want to have a knife handy,  a neck knife is a viable option.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 12:31:21 PM by LookMomNoSights »

Offline Stringwacker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2022, 01:45:40 PM »
We all have our unique fears. Mine is falling out of a tree until I hit the end of the tether….and being suspended there without a way of extraction. The neck knife is there for use when your daypack with a knife might still be hanging on a hook above you.

As far safety is concerned; as long as it’s in a sturdy leather or plastic sheath I don’t have a great deal of worry. I have 5 razor sharp broadheads pointed up in my quiver only a short distance from the neck knife. As long as I have a protective hood over them; I’m fine with the risk. I don’t view the neck knife as much difference
Pope and Young Life Member
PBS Regular
Compton Bowhunters
Mississippi Bowhunters Hall of Fame

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2022, 11:05:08 PM »
Pocket knife pulls yer pants down....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2022, 11:54:38 PM »
Long story short I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Made a bad decision to work through a small storm cloud that happened to spawn a small tornado, but by the grace of God me and my son survived.  However I had the wind knocked out of me, being drug down under water by a cord/rope around my leg.  No air in lungs, knowing I was in a serious bind, I kept my composure and went for my pocket clip/knife but the water and pocket had added a no find factor and I was unable to extract it. 
Fortunately I was able to get the cord from around my leg and struggle to surface.  Not sure even if it was a power cord to the unit I had just installed or a rope and if a knife would have even been the answer.  That said, training and ability to keep my head, work the problem and escape saved my life and after a few days in the hospital for internal bleeding life went on. 
But every now and then when I see these threads the thought goes through my mind . . .
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline osage1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2022, 07:39:29 AM »
I had a knife save my life fishing in a flooded river in a boat by myself a few years ago. I carry a knife everywhere I go except the VA.

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2022, 08:55:38 AM »
Long story short I was in the wrong place at the wrong time.  Made a bad decision to work through a small storm cloud that happened to spawn a small tornado, but by the grace of God me and my son survived.  However I had the wind knocked out of me, being drug down under water by a cord/rope around my leg.  No air in lungs, knowing I was in a serious bind, I kept my composure and went for my pocket clip/knife but the water and pocket had added a no find factor and I was unable to extract it. 
Fortunately I was able to get the cord from around my leg and struggle to surface.  Not sure even if it was a power cord to the unit I had just installed or a rope and if a knife would have even been the answer.  That said, training and ability to keep my head, work the problem and escape saved my life and after a few days in the hospital for internal bleeding life went on. 
But every now and then when I see these threads the thought goes through my mind . . .
That is quite the situation you ended up in that day ......  thank heavens you and your boy made it out alive.   You were being watched over and it was not your time  :thumbsup:

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2022, 09:15:48 AM »
That is quite the situation you ended up in that day ......  thank heavens you and your boy made it out alive.   You were being watched over and it was not your time  :thumbsup:
Years of working in hostile, hazardous jobs I've had many brushes with death.  Four heart attacks, five stents and a tornado and I'm still working.  Either God has a plan for me or He and the devil can't agree on who has to put up with me for eternity. 
One thing for sure, I've had a change of compassion for other folks and enjoy every day.  Tough ones and good ones.  We only get one go and every sunrise we are here for is a gift.
God is good.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2022, 09:41:18 AM »
Solution to neck knife dangers. Kydex sheath won't allow the blade to poke through. Pop bead in the paracord will open the cord around your neck with very little pressure...tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Online trad_bowhunter1965

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2022, 09:51:23 AM »
Hell I am in trouble I carry a pocket knife and a neck knife I have a knife on my arm guard that Tim Roberts made me a one in my pack. Did I mentioned I am a bit of a knife nut  :knothead:.
" I am driven by those thing that rouse my traditional sense of archery and Bowhunting" G Fred Asbell

Trad Gang Hall of Fame
Yellowstone Longbows
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate Member
Retired 38 years DoD civilian.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2022, 11:17:49 AM »
What happened to Wud on this thread? .... was looking for pics and knife maker....

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online Michael Guran

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2022, 12:23:13 PM »
Tippit, is that paracord connection strong enough to pull the knife out 1 handed without holding onto the sheath?  Where do you buy them?

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2022, 01:49:16 PM »
I have made the lanyards with 550 cord and the pop bead .......  not a fan of the pop bead to be honest.  I find it is strong enough (barely) to one hand draw the blade from the sheath ......... remember,  for a necker carried point up, you want that kydex TIGHT!   the best bet so far is the beaded chain if you want break away.  It will require a much harder yank to snap and break it from your neck for safety/emergency purposes,  but will hold together much more solid than the pop bead.   These are just my experiences.  I make for myself non break away 550 lanyards adjustable so that they can hang low to be able to get the knife handle at the belt line with a shirt untucked,  or I can snug it up so that it hangs in the middle of my chest.   It will not tighten up any tighter than where you place the adjustment knots.  You can see from the pic I posted above I believe.   If it were to get caught or pulled on something,   it would only open wide .....not tighten around your neck.   And so wide, it should be easy to get it off from around your neck should you have to.
Awesome blades Tippit ........... I especially like that curly handle,  that is a looker for sure  :saywhat:

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2022, 02:08:28 PM »
Hell I am in trouble I carry a pocket knife and a neck knife I have a knife on my arm guard that Tim Roberts made me a one in my pack. Did I mentioned I am a bit of a knife nut  :knothead:.
Heck look at it this way ...... with all those blades handy,  you don't need to ever carry a knife sharpener  :laughing:

Online tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2022, 05:04:16 PM »
Michael Guran,
I make the knives and Kydex sheaths...tippit
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©