3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Could brace height be the issue?  (Read 1390 times)

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
Could brace height be the issue?
« on: April 23, 2022, 07:52:53 PM »
Could too long of a brace height cause this?  It is the top limb almost after ever shot the string is out of the string grove, always off to the same side.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Could brace height be the issue?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2022, 08:27:38 PM »
Probably not.  You have limb twist most likely from improperly stringing stringing the bow.

Take the string off the bow and put one twisted tip on the floor and the other tip at one eye, close the other eye and center the one at your eye up with the center of the shelf.  Try to determine exactly where the twist is. Usually it is in the curve of the limb.

This can most times be fixed.... run the area of the twisted limb under hot water in your bathtub for at least 5 minutes.  turn the water to cold. Then twist the limb pretty aggressively in the opposite direction and hold for a minute at least, then twist in again not so aggressively again but this time holding the problem issue under the cold water.  If you over twist, it should not matter at it will want to settle back to its original set.

I did this with the 'Little Delta' bow years ago, and an old Browning Nomad, and they're both still holding.

Disclaimer.... don't hold me accountable if it doesn't work. But do post pack if it is indeed twisted as that's the only reason I know that your string isn't centered.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2022, 08:34:51 PM »
Agree that you likely have a twisted limb. Uneven pressure on one side or the other of the limb tip notches caused by unequal notch depth can also cause the string to pull the limb tip out of alignment.  A simple, minor limb twist can be fixed by counter twisting.  If the notches are uneven, a little filing on the less deep string nock will center them and eliminate the twist.

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2022, 08:42:06 PM »
Thanks Terry, that was my big fear.  Its a mew custom bow always strung with a stringer kept on strung horizontal on dear hoof rack.  Hardly shot at all.  I have an email into the bower to see what he says.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2022, 08:57:31 PM »
I had the same issue with a new custom bow not long ago.  It came from the bowyer with a slight twist in one limb. It of course makes you wonder why they don't check this at the factory, but it isn't that unusual, I guess.  I simply countertwisted the twisted limb until it was straight, and it has stayed straight since then.  I check it every time I shoot it, which I wish I didn't have to do, but that's life, I guess.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2022, 09:44:19 AM »
While I agree that brace height has nothing to do with this, l have seen issues with the string loops being too tight and not self centering properly when stringing the bow can cause a slight twist problem. Especially lower draw weight recurves. If the bow has been strung up and not checked for center and left like that, this can cause a limb twist.

Before you try straightening the limb, I would highly recommend looking at the string loops closely and how the string lies in the string grooves. Often time the string itself is the culprit, and just flipping the loop 180 degrees can straighten things up nicely.  I know this may sound kinda silly, but these Flemish twist strings can do this.

For just this reason I order large string loops on both ends of a recurve bow. The larger loops self center much easier. I  highly recommend checking how the string is lying in the string grooves and drawing the bow several times immediately after stringing them too.   Some of these recurve bows can be very sensitive to perfect alignment.

Food for thought….

I’m curious what draw weight your bow is?     Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2022, 10:40:52 AM »
Kirkll the bow is 46 lbs never left strung.  Strung with a stringer to shoot and unstrung after.

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2022, 11:00:55 AM »
+1 on Kirk's comment about rotating the bottom loop 180*.  I tried that on one of my bows that had a persistent minor twist and it corrected the problem.  What this means to me is that a minor limb twist should be able to be corrected by counter twisting.  If, after counter twisting the limb twist recurs, some outside force must be causing it, like torquing the bow, improper stringing, too tight string loop, or something else.

The general thinking today seems to be that there is a higher potential for damaging a modern bow from constantly stringing and unstringing it than from leaving it strung.  I shoot just about every day, and I leave the bow I am currently shooting strung until I change to a different bow or have some other reason to unstring it, like adding twists to the string, etc.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2022, 12:41:34 PM »
Good tip Kirk on trying that 1st.  :thumbsup:

Yep, the adage still stands.... ya learn something new every day.  :readit:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2022, 01:31:17 PM »
I will try flipping the string around tk see if it bbn still happens on or if it happens on the other limb.  That would tell me if its a string loop size issue.  Will wait to hear back from the bower before i mess with doing anything to the limb.  Bow is warrantied yet

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2022, 04:36:48 PM »
You guys ready for a twist?  I put a back up string from my other bow on.  Set brace to 7 1/2 shot 6 arrows and the string never once came out of the string groove 🤷‍♂️. Granted its a small sample size but the other string would have came out at least 4 times in 6 shots. Put the old string back on and 3 for the string coming out of the groove.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 05:09:54 PM by bowmaster12 »

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2022, 07:01:32 PM »
You guys ready for a twist?  I put a back up string from my other bow on.  Set brace to 7 1/2 shot 6 arrows and the string never once came out of the string groove 🤷‍♂️. Granted its a small sample size but the other string would have came out at least 4 times in 6 shots. Put the old string back on and 3 for the string coming out of the groove.

Sometimes its not just the loop size brother... It's just the way the Flemish twist lays on the limb. You could try your other string again and try flipping the loops.

But the larger loops do seem to have less effect.   This is not a poor reflection of  the string builder at all. It's just the nature of the beast the way the string loops are spliced back together.     Typically it's the lower limb with a tighter loop that causes problems.....

Glad to here ya got her figured out. :clapper: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:       Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Offline mahantango

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2022, 07:59:35 PM »
This is an extremely interesting discussion. I'm a big fan of Flemish twist over endless, and  am always careful to build my loops to fit well but will now pay extra attention. Thanks Kirk.
We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2022, 08:21:50 PM »
Well, the string that returns to the groove the loop is actually just a touch smaller than the one that doesnt.

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2022, 09:14:00 PM »
You have two different threads on the same topic... LOL   

Try the door knob tracking check like i explained on the other thread. If she is not drawing straight back, i would send it back to your bowyer and have him adjust it. Typically a little tip notch adjustment will do it, but i would have him do it.

Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2022, 10:03:49 PM »
Thanks kirk.  Yea that other thread i was looking for opinions in if they could see limb twist but it turned into pretty much the same discussion.

Offline bowmaster12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2022, 03:53:24 PM »
Ill post here to as this topic kind of turned into two seperate posts.  Talked to the bower today he his confident he knows what the issue is but won't know for sure until he sees the limbs.  He is making me a new set of limbs and will send back the orginals for a back up if I ever need them in a pinch.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©