3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: 68" TD recurve help  (Read 729 times)

Offline FriedKettler

• Trad Bowhunter
68" TD recurve help
« on: April 30, 2022, 11:38:20 AM »
Mostly shoot target and field competitions, so I was wondering what brands make 68" TD wood recurves. Currently own a border, great plains, and bob lee. Are there any others? Comments and suggests appreciated!

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: 68" TD recurve help
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2022, 11:53:14 AM »
You can make a 68-inch bow with a Bear C riser and no.3 limbs They show up on the auction site every now and then in wood and magnesium.  Wood is a bit more expensive, but not terribly so for a vintage Bear riser. 

Offline FriedKettler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2022, 08:29:27 AM »
Sweet, much appreciated, I'll give the Bear a look. Are you aware of any other bowyers that currently make a 68" 3pc? (or possibly 66" for that matter)

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2022, 09:22:15 AM »
68” takedown recurves are getting more into the area of metal ILF risers.  Start looking at ILF metal risers and ILF carbon limbs and you will find more combinations available to make a 68” recurve than you could imagine.  Wood risers, not so much.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline FriedKettler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2022, 10:07:17 AM »
Yeah that's what I feared. Not a huge fan of the metal aesthetic -- I do have some hoyts, but would much prefer something wooden. From what I'm hearing though, aside from a vintage bear it seems like border, great plains, and bob lee are the only ones making 68"? If I remember correctly schafer had a 66", though not sure if they still make it now.

Offline Noah70

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2022, 11:23:20 AM »
I think the longest recurve limb form that Bingham has plans for is a 68”, and can be adjusted to 66 and 64.  It uses a 21” riser and builds a very nice bow, from the ones I’ve seen.
You might try checking with Kirk at Bigfoot, I seem to recall he is now building a 21” riser, with his new “Bare Limbs”, that might get you into the right length.
Any man who lives within his means clearly lacks imagination

Offline Lucas K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2022, 04:18:48 PM »
Bob Lee is making a 68" takedown.
Lucas Kent

Offline FriedKettler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2022, 07:35:57 PM »
I think the longest recurve limb form that Bingham has plans for is a 68”, and can be adjusted to 66 and 64.  It uses a 21” riser and builds a very nice bow, from the ones I’ve seen.
You might try checking with Kirk at Bigfoot, I seem to recall he is now building a 21” riser, with his new “Bare Limbs”, that might get you into the right length.

Sweet, thanks for the rec. Just checked out the sasquatch from Bigfoot, and it's exactly what I was looking for. Bingham's websites seems to be down though, can't seem to get the pages loading.

Offline Car54

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2022, 09:59:21 PM »
I think Wes Wallace recurves go up to 66”.  Can’t remember,  or just call Wes an ask. He makes a excellent curve.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©