3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help an old wood chucker out...??  (Read 1068 times)

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Help an old wood chucker out...??
« on: April 30, 2022, 12:23:00 PM »
For many years, I've shot wood arrows.
50-55# old Bear recurves,55-60# spine, 29" BOP, with a 125gr field point or a Bear Razorhead/Zwickey Eskimo up front. Field points and broadheads, hit right where I'm looking, good arrow flight, works for me!!  :archer:

Couple years ago, I dropped 10# due to a shoulder strain. I ordered 42# limbs for my Bear T/Ds and dropped down to a 45-50# spine, with the same arrow set-up. All is good in Woodville!! :archer2:

I have about 4-5 dozen 55-60# arrows, that I would like to shoot. The spine chart says that a 160gr point, will drop the spine to 45-50#... I ordered some 160gr field points, glued them on, and shot them. All is good!! :thumbsup:

Here is my question...??
I ordered some 50gr glue on, screw point adapters that appear to be about 2" long.
I plan on using them with a 125gr screw in Judo point (aprox 175gr) for stumping.
Would the extra adapter length increase my arrow length weakening my spine?
Or, would the adapter be considered part of the "point weight"....??? :dunno:

I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline mark_m

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help an old wood chucker out...??
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2022, 01:48:33 PM »
That is an interesting question and will probably result in a number of answers.

IMO the adaptors will not affect the arrow spine because your draw length to BOP remains the same, and I cannot imagine the additional 10gn will make a significant difference to your spine. I think you need about 25gn to change the spine a couple of pounds.
----------------
mark

Offline Baylee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2022, 03:45:34 PM »
The longer screw point adapters will slightly weaken the spine. Same as a 3” long broadhead weakens the spine that you had the same exact weight blunt on previously. It’s not only how much weight but where it’s located. You add weight but also move the weight out farther it weakens the shaft...period. Will it be enough to cause shooting issues? Maybe depends on how close to being stiff or weak you already were.

Offline mark_m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2022, 05:18:07 PM »
As I said, many answers.

Wooden shaft spine is measured using the AMO standard (the shaft is suspended between uprights set 26" apart, a 2 pound weight is suspended on the shaft mid way between the uprights and the amount of deflection is measured in thousands of an inch). Adding an inflexible adaptor to the shaft, no matter its length, will have no effect on the static spine of the arrow, any more than a longer nock length would.

Baylee has made the point that the weight being further from BOP will effect the dynamic spine. In my experience with wood, it will not be sufficient to overly impact the spine of wood shafts.

Would be good if Bob Burton chimed in on this.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 05:50:15 PM by mark_m »
----------------
mark

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2022, 06:11:18 PM »
For years, I've been a simple guy. I have my arrows set up so that field points & broadheads shoot the same.
It's worked for years, and it works for me, I'm happy with that! :archer: Never got into the heavy FOC thing...

So in "theory"... The 50gr adapter, would be considered in the total point weight, since it's not a working part of the flexible shaft. Am I getting this correctly...??? :dunno:

Offline mark_m

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2022, 06:35:33 PM »
That is what I am suggesting woodchucker. Others may have different views.

Build them and shoot them. If they seem slightly off, adjust your brace height slightly (up reduces the dynamic spine, down increases the dynamic spine) but wood is very forgiving so you won't need much.

----------------
mark

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2022, 07:57:59 PM »
Interesting.  In theory, moving the point forward the length of the adapter could change your spine.  Will it or will it even matter to you?
The test will be for you to shoot them and see.  In my experience wood arrows are not very fickle when it comes to variations like that.  I have cedar arrows that I put 125, 145, and 160 points on the same matched dozen and they shoot together.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Online Kelly

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2022, 08:22:57 PM »
It will change your FOC but not your spine by being longer. It is consider as point weight for spine purposes.
>>>>============>

Enjoy the flight of an arrow amongst Mother Nature's Glory!

Once one opens the mind to the plausible, the unbelievable becomes possible!

>>>>============>

Yours for better bowhunting, Kelly

Offline JamesD

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2022, 01:42:53 PM »
I have only been shooting wood arrows for the past two years, so take this for what it is. For the past year I have been shooting high FOC at the front of my wooden arrows. I am using woody weights to accomplish this, which adds length to the front end of the arrow. My experience has been that the arrows still spine to the back of point and the additional length hasn't had a noticeable impact on arrow flight, only the increase in weight at the tip has. I have used longer (heavier) woody weights with judos to compensate for the difference in weight between the judo and the broadhead weight that I shoot. I can't tell any difference. My guess is that you won't have much if any difference with the longer adapters.
Regular PBS Member

Offline Wheels2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2022, 09:34:41 AM »
Since the adapters you have glue on to the existing taper, no.
Only with inserts that go inside the shaft for some length
Super Curves.....
Covert Hunter Hex9h
Morrison Max 6 ILF
Mountain Muffler strings to keep them quiet
Shoot as much weight as you can with accuracy

Offline Baylee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2022, 11:20:01 AM »
When I read some of these comments I wonder if any of y’all have ever shot an arrow let alone seen a spine tester. What the arrow spines in a tester is static spine. Adding weight to the front or weight to the back will effect dynamic spine.
You shoot a field tip or blunt at 145 grains you put a 3” long 145 grain broadhead on that same shaft and it will be slightly weaker, it’s physics. If your shafts were already borderline weak you will see the difference. If you were in the middle of your spine range you probably will not see a difference. None of this is speculation it’s fact

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2022, 03:26:47 PM »
Sorry, bunch of rigamarole. Unless you are an Olympic caliber archer you ain't gonna shoot the difference in the range the OP discussed.

Sometimes you gotta focus on the forest, no a wart on an aphid's butt on a vein on a leaf on a branch of a tree somewhere in the forest.

😀

R

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2022, 04:14:27 PM »
Thanks, Ryan!!
Truth be told, I couldn't hit water if I fell out of a boat....

My son Little Bear, builds all of our arrows. He's been doing it for years.
Like I said before, I've got about 4-5 dozen arrows that I'd like to be able to shoot. Mostly for stumping and 3-D.
I figured if I put a little extra weight up front, I could get the spine somewhere in the neighborhood, they'd work.
So far, the 160gr field points work just fine!! I was just wondering about the screw point adapters???
Never used them before? Figured I'd ask folks smarter than me!!  :dunno:

As for my hunting arrows... I've got 3 dozen 45-50# all set up with broadheads, and a couple dozen for practice.
When it comes to HUNTING, I don't mess with success!!!  :archer:

Thanks to all!!!!  :notworthy:

Offline ozarkcherrybow1

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2022, 10:39:11 PM »
Since nothing has been said about fletching size, I will throw this in the mix: bigger or longer fletching will help stabilize an arrow that is a little stiff. You could go with 5” banana cut or even put some flu flu’s on for stumping and just go with the glue on judo points.

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2022, 08:18:28 AM »
Hmmm...???? Forgot about that Terry!  :banghead:

5" shields..... Ain't buying more feathers, I've got hundreds of them!!
Dang kid built arrows, fast as I could buy supplies... (Guess I'm actually pretty lucky!!??) :archer2:

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2022, 01:44:42 PM »
Chuck. Retirement has ya thinking.  Will it make a difference? Yes. But..... unless yer shooting out of a machine , you will not notice.  Grip it and rip it brother.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Online woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2022, 03:14:40 PM »
"you will not notice"  :biglaugh:

You certainly remember how I shoot, Brother!!! :laughing:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©