3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Riddle me this...  (Read 3350 times)

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Riddle me this...
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2022, 09:18:21 AM »
Thanks for chiming in, Charlie!!!  :bigsmyl:

But... Nobody answered the question...???  :readit:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Baylee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2022, 12:10:52 PM »
Hmmm...??? Some interesting answers!!  :coffee:

.....and a couple lies as well LOL

If any of you could shoot 10gr worth of difference, we would be watching you winning the olympics...

There’s your answer right there.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2022, 12:37:20 PM »
NOPE!!! Not what I'm looking for....  :coffee:

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2022, 01:39:44 PM »
Ok folks, here's a hint....

READ the question....  :readit: (all of it)

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2022, 03:24:13 PM »

If any of you could shoot 10gr worth of difference, we would be watching you winning the olympics...

There's been some pretty disrespectful language thrown around in responses to this discussion, that is uncharacteristic of what I have come to expect on TradGang.  Okay, I’ll throw one back at you.  The type of error resulting from a 10 grain difference in point weight, while perhaps inconsequential in itself, is additive to whatever other errors may exist in the shot process.  Add the effect of 2-3 of these otherwise inconsequential errors together, and you could well turn a hit into a miss.  To ignore the effect of an easily correctable error because it seems inconsequential standing alone is simply mental laziness, in my opinion.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2022, 04:15:45 PM »
Ok Folks!!! I was gonna let this soup simmer for a few days, BUT....

I said, "Let's have some fun with this" :archer:
I got many answers.... NONE of them wrong!! But, none of them were really "right" either....

Truth is, it was a trick question... The REAL question, was WHY???

Everyone here uses different things, for different reasons. We use what's comfortable for us. What we're confident with. What's simple?? Maybe, just what makes us feel Lucky!!

So.... Let's try this again!! Now... WHY???

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2022, 04:53:35 PM »
None of you could tell the difference in 10 grains stop pretending you can.
Actually, I can.  In arrow flight   
Wouldn't even be in that situation.  All my heads for a given arrow set up are the same weight.  FP, BH or small game head.

Really? So what happens when you sharpen your broadheads? You have to file down your field points and small game heads lol
I don't "file" anything.  My heads are not the soft steel type.  And yes, ten grains can make a difference in arrow flight and at longer distance a slightly lower impact point.  I just did this recently with three arrows after having a bow trimmed back in weight.  Three bare shafts and three fletched. 
Laugh if you want but you can really tell with a bare shaft.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Online Gun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2022, 08:35:19 PM »
300 gr up front regardless
Broadhead, Field pt, Judo. BH adapters available to get there or within 10 grs. No difference in accuracy I can tell.

For penetration. I shoot thru everything except my last Moose. Stopped at opposite upper leg. He only went about 20 ft tho.
It's really simple. Just don't take those borderline shots. Tomorrow is another day.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2022, 10:14:21 PM »
Ok Folks, Here's mine....

For years, I have basically run the same arrows.
55-60# cedars, with 125gr field points or 125gr Zwickey Eskimo, or a Bear Razorhead.

A couple years ago, I dropped 10# and Little Bear made me 45-50# arrows for my new limbs. Same 125gr points.

I have always carried a Judo arrow in my quiver for one reason...
Old Woodchucker, is a VERY superstitious Indian!! I NEVER "practice" during hunting season...
This goes back 40 years, to my compound days. Sometimes we all just have a bad day. I'd be busting nocks, and ripping vanes, then one day.... I'm all over the target!! I'd start fiddleing with the sights, untill everything was screwed up, and I couldn't hit sh-+!! I'd get frusterated and yank the sight off, and within a day or so, I was sticking every arrow in the target. GREAT!! Untill the next time.... I'd hang it up (smart) tomorrow's another day.
But!! When a deer would give me a shot.... The gremlins would get in my head, and I'd miss!!
After a few years, I hung it up.

When I got back into this "Traditional" bowhunting around 2000 or so, I bought a few Judo points.
I carried a Judo every time I went out hunting. I stopped "practicing" during hunting season. Every shot taken with the Judo, was a "hunting" shot. In the woods, unknown range, different positions, elevated, ground, etc.

I've got a bunch of 55-60# arrows around, that I've put 160gr field points on. I'll use them for practice and 3-D and a couple months before deer season, I'll switch back to my 45-50# arrows, and start practicing for deer season.

However... Being as I was changing points around, I decided to change broadheads this year.
I ordered a dozen 135gr Zwickey Deltas, and mounted them on my hunting arrows.
Being as I don't "formally" practice during the hunting season. I want my broadhead and Judo to both be the same weight. Then, every "practice" shot I take with my Judo, should be the same as with my broadhead!!

Wish me Luck!!!  :archer:

Offline Baylee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2022, 10:24:41 PM »
None of you could tell the difference in 10 grains stop pretending you can.
Actually, I can.  In arrow flight   
Wouldn't even be in that situation.  All my heads for a given arrow set up are the same weight.  FP, BH or small game head.

Really? So what happens when you sharpen your broadheads? You have to file down your field points and small game heads lol
I don't "file" anything.  My heads are not the soft steel type.  And yes, ten grains can make a difference in arrow flight and at longer distance a slightly lower impact point.  I just did this recently with three arrows after having a bow trimmed back in weight.  Three bare shafts and three fletched. 
Laugh if you want but you can really tell with a bare shaft.

So you have broadheads that never get dull? Or are your broadheads made from a metal that can be resharpened without taking any metal off?

You sharpen metal it’s gonna lose weight eventually you gonna reach 10 grains... then what?

Offline Baylee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2022, 10:28:01 PM »

There's been some pretty disrespectful language thrown around in responses to this discussion, that is uncharacteristic of what I have come to expect on TradGang.  Okay, I’ll throw one back at you.  The type of error resulting from a 10 grain difference in point weight, while perhaps inconsequential in itself, is additive to whatever other errors may exist in the shot process.  Add the effect of 2-3 of these otherwise inconsequential errors together, and you could well turn a hit into a miss.  To ignore the effect of an easily correctable error because it seems inconsequential standing alone is simply mental laziness, in my opinion.

Curious. Can you give  examples of errors that would not cause a miss unless 10 grains of point weight was added or subtracted?

Online McDave

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2022, 12:21:59 AM »
“Curious. Can you give  examples of errors that would not cause a miss unless 10 grains of point weight was added or subtracted?”

Not sure I understand your question.  My point was that an error that is insignificant by itself can result in a significant error when combined with other equally insignificant errors.  Therefore, it would behoove us to eliminate as many insignificant errors as we can. To ignore a potential error that can be corrected is just sloppy.

An example would be:

Assume that somewhere between 20-30 yards, using a point marked 125 grains that is really 135 grains will result in a hit that is 1” low.  Actually, my 135 grain judo hits more than 1” below my 125 grain field point at those distances, but I would assume a significant part of the drop is due to the non-aerodynamic shape of the judo.  The actual drop solely due to an increase in point weight is complex to calculate, but is more for slower bows and for arrows with higher air drag.

Next, assume that our shaft is also 10 grains more than we expected.  There goes another inch.

Next, assume we don't use a clicker (no real man would use a clicker, right?), so we release the arrow a fraction of an inch before we reach full draw. There goes another inch, and low and behold we just dropped out of our 6” kill zone.

The examples are endless, but that's what makes it fun, right?
TGMM Family of the Bow

Technology....the knack of arranging the world so that we don't have to experience it.

Offline A Lex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2022, 06:31:49 AM »
Well my wooden arrows may well vary as much as 20-30 grains, but with my limited skills, or perhaps I should say with my "lack" of skills, I can usually keep 5 into 4" on the aiming mark at 20 odd yards. And that's with either field points, blunts or broadheads, or a mix of them all.

I guess that really says that I'm simply not good enough to tell the difference  :biglaugh:

But I can live with that  :goldtooth:

Best
Lex
Good hunting to you all.
May the wind be your friend, and may your arrows fly true,
Most of all, may the appreciation and the gratitude of what we do keep us humble......

Offline A Lex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2022, 06:48:21 AM »
To keep things simple all my blunts, field points and broadheads are all the same weight at 190 grains.

So to answer your question, I'd use a 125 grain broadhead to match the 125 grain field points you practice with.

Did I get it right  :biglaugh:

Best
Lex
Good hunting to you all.
May the wind be your friend, and may your arrows fly true,
Most of all, may the appreciation and the gratitude of what we do keep us humble......

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2022, 08:16:57 AM »
To keep things simple all my blunts, field points and broadheads are all the same weight at 190 grains.

So to answer your question, I'd use a 125 grain broadhead to match the 125 grain field points you practice with.

Did I get it right  :biglaugh:

Best
Lex

You did, ALex!!!  :clapper: ("To keep things simple...")

Actually, there's no WRONG answer!! The REAL question... is WHY???
Why do YOU do.... What YOU do??

I "said" the dilema is... For ME!! All of us do different things, for different reasons! The question is WHY???  :archer:

Offline Baylee

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2022, 12:11:31 PM »
Your reasoning behind wanting to shoot the exact same weight broadhead and judo is flawed. The judo does not fly like a Broadhead. The longer the shot the more pronounced the difference in trajectory. It’s the shape of the judo. Everybody knows this and it’s not usually significant enough to cause anyone to quit using them. But they are not going to fly exactly like a broadhead and it ain’t because of the weight. And I think not practicing during the season is way more detrimental to shooting abilities than 10 grains of point weight.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2022, 02:29:33 PM »
I started this as a game...

I'd throw out a trick question, and everyone would give their examples of what they shoot. That's what I expected!!
However, the real question, was WHY??? Why do you do, what you do?? I was hoping for some answers?? Get some opinions?? After all, I'm not you, nor you me. We are all individuals, and all do things differently.
NOBODY here was WRONG!! But, only one person here actually answered the question? "To keep things simple"
Now THAT, was the only "right" answer to the asked question!!

TradGang, is a family!!!  :campfire:
It is probly the one "safe space" on the internet... We are all individuals and we all do things differently.
What works for me, may not work for you? That doesn't make it wrong!
I see threads on here where new folks are asking what they SHOULD do? It usually ends up with bunch of folks TELLING them what they HAVE to do!! Nobody ever explains why?? It then turns into a NO do this!! Then a "you don't know sh/+ I shoot better than you" to "I've been doing this longer" Then the whole thread goes to hell in a handbasket, just like this one did!!

Dave mentioned early on, that things were getting nasty... I jumped in, and clarrifide that the REAL question, was WHY??? Of coarse, the first post after that, was a quote and comment, that someone didn't know squat!!
It was started, as a GAME!! That was supposed to be FUN!! Hell, maybe we might learn something...??

Our founding father, Terry Green said,
"Debate is good, as one sword sharpens the other. But ALWAYS, expect to be RESPECTED!!"

RESPECT has been sadly lacking around here lately....

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2022, 08:21:48 PM »
My judos go  exactly to the  same spots as my broadheads.

42 grain aluminum adapters and 135 Zwickey and a 135 Judo.

I don't have a problem shooting a 125 WW or 125 Zwickey or a 175 Battle Axe or 175 grain VPA.

All on the same arrows.  :campfire:

Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2022, 08:53:59 PM »
For me the difference in 150 and 175 is more about tail kick than accuracy.  Which of course can affect penetration. 
I was shooting a match today with three arrows.  Two with 150 and one with 175.  The heavier point on an arrow trimmed too far during tuning.  At closer ranges no difference but 20 plus I choose the 150 headed ones. 
That said I shot low with one of them today on the first round an it's MIA.
On the other hand I shot a better round with my new wood arrows and I may have to buy some glue on broadheads for this trip to Africa.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2022, 09:22:09 PM »
Thank You, Gentlemen!!! Sorry about the "rant"....  :knothead:

Good Luck on your trip, Gary!!!!  :archer:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©