3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Riddle me this...  (Read 3346 times)

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Riddle me this...
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2022, 09:36:50 PM »
I'm super stoked.  I appreciate the opportunity but I'm going to be working hard to be ready.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline limbshaker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2022, 09:45:36 AM »
Ok Folks, Here's mine....

For years, I have basically run the same arrows.
55-60# cedars, with 125gr field points or 125gr Zwickey Eskimo, or a Bear Razorhead.

A couple years ago, I dropped 10# and Little Bear made me 45-50# arrows for my new limbs. Same 125gr points.

I have always carried a Judo arrow in my quiver for one reason...
Old Woodchucker, is a VERY superstitious Indian!! I NEVER "practice" during hunting season...
This goes back 40 years, to my compound days. Sometimes we all just have a bad day. I'd be busting nocks, and ripping vanes, then one day.... I'm all over the target!! I'd start fiddleing with the sights, untill everything was screwed up, and I couldn't hit sh-+!! I'd get frusterated and yank the sight off, and within a day or so, I was sticking every arrow in the target. GREAT!! Untill the next time.... I'd hang it up (smart) tomorrow's another day.
But!! When a deer would give me a shot.... The gremlins would get in my head, and I'd miss!!
After a few years, I hung it up.

When I got back into this "Traditional" bowhunting around 2000 or so, I bought a few Judo points.
I carried a Judo every time I went out hunting. I stopped "practicing" during hunting season. Every shot taken with the Judo, was a "hunting" shot. In the woods, unknown range, different positions, elevated, ground, etc.

I've got a bunch of 55-60# arrows around, that I've put 160gr field points on. I'll use them for practice and 3-D and a couple months before deer season, I'll switch back to my 45-50# arrows, and start practicing for deer season.

However... Being as I was changing points around, I decided to change broadheads this year.
I ordered a dozen 135gr Zwickey Deltas, and mounted them on my hunting arrows.
Being as I don't "formally" practice during the hunting season. I want my broadhead and Judo to both be the same weight. Then, every "practice" shot I take with my Judo, should be the same as with my broadhead!!

Wish me Luck!!!  :archer:

I wish you luck.

Because when you get those heads and weigh them, you may be surprised at what you find..
"Leaves are fallin all around..time I was on my way." -Led Zeppelin

Offline limbshaker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2022, 09:57:18 AM »
To answer the question:

I mount up whatever broadheads and ACE Hex heads (I hate Judos) of similar grain weight as I can get. This is usually within 50 grains.

I go shoot those arrows.

If I can hit what I'm aiming at, I'm done. If not, I change weight on my Hex heads and if that doesn't do it  I change weight on the Hex heads or just shoot the broadheads at everything.  :dunno:

Why?:

Because it's simpler this way and doesn't require a formula, scale, or even an argument on the internet. And it's "exact" in the sense that I have tested every arrow, in the exact situation it will be used for. Making everything weigh the same or look the same is fine, but that doesn't always mean they will shoot the same.  :banghead:

ESPECIALLY so if we are talking wood.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2022, 09:57:38 AM »
Just for giggles, I did!!  :thumbsup:

I borrowed an electronic scale, and weighed the 17 Judos and my new dozen Deltas....

Judos, 1 was 134gr, 2 were 136gr, and one was 137gr

Deltas, 1 out of the dozen weighed 134gr

Pretty dang close to me, and I'll never be able to tell the difference....  :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline limbshaker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2022, 10:02:07 AM »
Just for giggles, I did!!  :thumbsup:

I borrowed an electronic scale, and weighed the 17 Judos and my new dozen Deltas....

Judos, 1 was 134gr, 2 were 136gr, and one was 137gr

Deltas, 1 out of the dozen weighed 134gr

Pretty dang close to me, and I'll never be able to tell the difference....  :archer:

That's great news then. The last ones I had were all overweight and varied 5 grains or so between the pack.

But that was good enough for me.

1 grain certainly is!

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2022, 10:45:59 AM »
Well Chase, When you're Retired, you get "paid' to do stupid, silly stuff.... :thumbsup:

So, I pulled the heads, and gathered the others... As I said above, maybe I might learn something!!??  :dunno:
Well, I did!! Now I KNOW my new Deltas and Judos are all the same weight!! (well almost)

Close enough that I'll never be able to tell the difference, and that's close enough for me!!  :archer:

Offline limbshaker

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2022, 10:51:02 AM »
Well Chase, When you're Retired, you get "paid' to do stupid, silly stuff.... :thumbsup:

So, I pulled the heads, and gathered the others... As I said above, maybe I might learn something!!??  :dunno:
Well, I did!! Now I KNOW my new Deltas and Judos are all the same weight!! (well almost)

Close enough that I'll never be able to tell the difference, and that's close enough for me!!  :archer:

Retired and "close enough for me" are the two biggest things in life I strive towards.

One I can usually achieve, and the other will never happen till I'm dead . LOL

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2022, 12:01:24 PM »
Hmmm...?? Old woodchucker had a brainfart  :banghead:

What I forgot to "add" to my answer is....

Although old woodchucker is a VERY superstitious Indian, and yes the gremlins still git in my head...
My backyard range is only 10-12 yards. (15 if I stand in the bushes)
I practice with my field points, untill I know that I can put EVERY arrow in the kill zone!!
3-D shoots and stumping with my Judos, builds my confidence at longer ranges.

Once hunting season starts, I "practice" by stumping with my Judos. EVERY hunt, turns into a stump shoot!
A morning hunt ends by stumping my way out. An evening hunt starts out as a stump shoot.
The more difficult shots, and longer ranges, help build my confidence during the hunting season!!
(and keep the gremlins at bay...)

Hey, it works for me!! Has for years...  :archer:

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2022, 11:33:43 PM »
I have a Zwickey Delta 4 blade (Old Blue) that has run through 14 deer in GA and one hog in TX. I have no idea what is weighs now after 35 plus years of sharpening, and don't care.  It would fly again and kill again but I retired it.  I'm sure it doesn't weigh the 'original weight'. But I wouldn't worry about it at all.

I'm thinking about bringing it out of retirement for next years Laredo Tusk Roundup to take a Javie.  Wish me luck if I do.

I hope y'all get all these grains figured out, lets go hunting now....  :campfire:

Riddle.... who know what 'old blue' means...... don't say, just post yes.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Online blacktailbob

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Island Graphics Inc.
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2022, 05:55:43 PM »
But!! When a deer would give me a shot.... The gremlins would get in my head, and I'd miss!!
After a few years, I hung it up.

Based on this comment woodchucker I think you have issues bigger than 10 grains affecting your shooting.
[email protected]

Islandgraphicsfl.com

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2022, 07:21:04 PM »
I was weighing some new broadheads and was talking with a fella whose Dad made some good broadheads.  Told him I had a range of about 4 grains between the 9 heads.  He said 10-15 grains doesn't make that much difference, except in your head.  Mounted a dozen of his Dad's heads and had a 4-5 grain spread.  Shot them at javelina and they all flew well enough.  Have to agree with him.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2:
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: June 16, 2022, 10:09:07 AM »
Well this thread came in with replies all over the map… :biglaugh:  it WAS fun to read….  So I’ll play along….. 

First thing that came to mind for me was the weight of both the Broad head and judo point seems kind of  light for hunting weight arrows and May lack decent FOC balance.

Why?       Because a lite tip weight FOC balance and blades effect arrow flight. But this could be mitigated with brass inserts and still use lighter point and broadhead weights on most shafts. On wood arrows, not so much.

Secondly , is that depending on what type of judo points you use, getting your broadheads shooting the same may be challenging or even tough to do at all with pin point accuracy at 20 yards.

After reading the many responses from the OP , I’d say 10 grains is not going to make a difference at all…..

Why? 

Because with practice limited to 10-15 yards, you won’t see a drop, and stump shooting with judo points doesn’t tell you if your broad heads are flying straight.

I’m one of those bone heads that shoot all my hunting arrows and tune my broad heads, then sharpen them. I wouldn’t feel comfortable with hunting with arrows in my quiver I haven’t practiced with and know they fly decent.

.02 cents….  Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©