3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Question for 3-under shooters...??  (Read 3385 times)

Offline A Lex

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Question for 3-under shooters...??
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2022, 03:07:50 AM »
Hi Woodchucker,

Don't know if this helps, but I'll try

I've only got 3 longbows
All Blackwidow
All tillerd for 3 under
All have a 13/16" nock height
All have double nock points
All shoot only wood arrows
And all only make a dull "thump" when the string is dropped

Best
Lex
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 06:54:30 AM by A Lex »
Good hunting to you all.
May the wind be your friend, and may your arrows fly true,
Most of all, may the appreciation and the gratitude of what we do keep us humble......

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2022, 07:17:17 AM »
There is a lot of information out there for tuning and set up of a bow, but much of it will leave out some key details that can make all the difference!

As for three under tillering... The only real affect is that it will mike the "correct" nock height setting for said shooter a little lower than for the same bow tillered as split finger. Balancing the limbs can be done by adjusting nock height.

When shooting three under, one should use a nock point under and over the arrow. Video has proven that the arrow will slide down the serving as the string moves forward if the arrow nocks aren't too tight. The arrow will/can then continue it's downward movement and bounce off of the shelf going forward. I see lots of worn out shelf plates.. I'm told when I mention this "but I shoot a lot" ... well, so do I but I never experience shelf wear!

The final resting place of your nock points are determined by several things.. width of your fingers, height of your elbow, bow tillering, arrow diameter, how your hand addresses grip.. I'm sure there are others, but these are the big deciding factors.

Unless you are doing the death grip, there is actually more pressure on the top limb as it has to travel further the farther you move your fingers down the string.

I have only found three under to be noisier in the beginning.. once I got used to it, the noise calmed down.. occasionally after not shooting for a extended period of time, I get a little more noise, but sure it would be the same with split. Even though I like my bows to be quiet, I believe far too much emphasis is given to quieting them down. No animal will ever not hear the bow.. unless they are deaf or the weather is loud enough. Making sure it is not alarming would be a good idea.
I also believe that most of the "three under noise" is coming form improper set up and arrow not clearing the bow.

Most of my nock sets are set at about 7/8" for me.. but then would bet that my fingers are much thicker than the average.
I set the string nocks for customer bows at 3/4" if I know they are three under shooters.

BigJim

http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2022, 09:43:03 AM »
Big Jim.  I agree with your observations except for, "Unless you are doing the death grip, there is actually more pressure on the top limb as it has to travel further the farther you move your fingers down the string." Do you mean move your fingers UP the string?  Moving one's fingers down creates more string length above the fingers, which will flex the limb less than a shorter string length caused by moving the fingers up, which shortens the string above the fingers.

Looked at from the perspective of the lower limb, moving the fingers up lengthens the string below the hand, thus flexing the limb less.  That's why those who tiller specifically for 3-under tiller the lower limb a little stiffer so it will balance with the upper limb even though the lower limb is flexed less.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 09:49:23 AM by Orion »

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2022, 09:47:50 AM »
I love this site!!!!!  You know I feel at this point I've been at this a while ...... and I guess I have, started at 8 and now heading towards 46.   If you ask a good question here,  better chances than not you are going to get just flooded with the best answers and info from the best most knowledgeable, skilled and experienced folks you could possibly ask for......case in point Jim's post and what Kirk has to tell.  If anybody approaches this with an open mind and listens to what these people have to say,  there ain't a problem (archery anyhow) you can't get a solution to.  I'm always thankful to have this resource  :notworthy:    Didn't mean to go off on a tangent here,  I just really appreciate this sharing of information.....provides a better understand and perspective even, of the big picture ...... in this instance,  it happens to be tuning.  Heck,  I don't now and probably don't ever plan to shoot 3 under .....but that don't matter to me  :thumbsup:

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2022, 10:17:25 AM »
Orion, as you move your fingers up and down the string, the grip pivots in the hand and thus brings the tip associated with the shortest portion of the string closer to full draw and having to travel less.

If you strangle the grip, the bow won't rotate as much and then the limb tip associated with the shortest portion of the string length would have to stress/travel further than normal.

By sliding nock points up/down balances the string and times the limb tips to come back evenly.

BigJim

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2022, 10:19:14 AM »
Orion, tillering for three under generally means making both top and bottom of equal or zero tiller. Typical tiller has a possitive or weaker top limb.
BigJim

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2022, 10:21:35 AM »
Hey Jim,
You ever play with string walking set ups or fixed crawl adjustment? I’d be interested in your philosophy on that set up.    Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]
http://bigfootbows.com/b/bows/

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2022, 10:48:01 AM »
Well Kirk, I don't.. The way I see it, most guys change with the wind.. or the next well written how to article. That would  mean they would have to change bows every time they try something new to them when in reality, they could merely make adjustments to a standard bow.
The only guarantee in life is change. "A" guy can get a "PERFECT" tune.. if something existed for the imperfect archer. If we were truly capable of building the "PERFECT" bow for that person, in two years or two months, or two days, that person makes a change they didn't even know they made and shazam! there is something wrong with their bow!

I quit arguing with guys about the importance of tillering for three under and just do as they ask. That way at least I know how to set up their string and adding the second nock point.

BigJim

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2022, 11:11:59 AM »
I love your attitude Jim... :biglaugh:     That's what makes traditional archery so fun is all the philosophy and different opinions and options on different set ups... I believe i may take your advise about arguing with guys about the importance of 3 under tillering, and just say "Ok" .

Kirk
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2022, 03:34:15 PM »
Well, Alrighty then!!!

Big Jim just pointed out 2 of my mistakes, and offered a good tip!! :thumbsup: (Thank You, Sir!!)

I have never shot 3under, with a second nocking point??
Also, while I wouldn't consider it a "death grip" I grip the bow pretty good!!

I have one of Big Jim's strings, that I bought as a spare for my Bear T/D
I think I'll set the nock point at 3/4" and add a second, below the arrow, and try that!!  :archer2:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2022, 03:56:26 PM »
I posted a long diatribe earlier, but did some rethinking and have revised it.  Here it is in its entirety.

BJ.  I didn't envision the grip pressure causing the dynamic change in limb pressure, but it makes sense.

One other factor that hasn't yet been noted in this discussion is the height of the shelf above the center of the bow, which, in effect, determines the relative length of the top and bottom limbs. Most bowyers place the shelf about 1 1/4-inch above the center of the bow, but some place it as much as 2 inches above the center of the bow. (For some reason, I've been recording these measurements on bows that have passed through my hands for about 30 years.)  In the first instance the top limb is longer, in the second instance, the limbs are about equal length. 

I point this out only to demonstrate that where the arrow shelf is cut determines where we place our fingers (and bow hand grip) in relation to the center of the bow, which in turn impacts the vertical torque on the limbs and how we adjust to it by adjusting the tiller (on an ILF) or the nock point.

I should note, too, that my records show that most bowyers who cut the arrow shelf 2 inches above the center of the bow, which makes for equal length limbs, tend to make the bows equal our neutral tiller, whereas most who cut the shelf 1 1/4-inch above center, in which the top limb is longer than the lower limb, give their bows a positive tiller.

Having said all of this, I'm still having trouble clearly explaining the string length vs limb flex question. Let's try again. First, if you short string a bow, it will flex the limbs more than the bow braced to its standard brace height. A shorter string will flex the limb more than a longer string. There's no reason this principle shouldn't hold on a half a bow as well.

Since most bowyers place the arrow shelf 1 1/4-inch or so above the center of the bow, the top limb will be longer and the shooters fingers will be above the center of the bow, whether shooting split or 3-under. If the nock point is then moved up further, the string length to the end of the bow becomes shorter, flexing the limb more. The 1/4-inch positive tiller built into the bow weakens the limb just a bit to accommodate the greater flexing to balance it to the lower limb.

By comparison, the bottom limb (and string) is shorter to begin with than the top limb and thus is built a bit stiffer because it will flex less on a bow with with a standard 1/4-inch positive tiller.  In this case, moving the nock point and fingers up creates a longer string below the fingers, which one would reason would flex the lower limb even less, requiring even more stiffness.  Yet, we know that a neutral or zero tiller works better for 3-under shooting. However, I postulate that the string lengthening that occurs between the lower fingers and lower limb tip in effect also lengthens the lower limb vis-a-vis the upper limb, balancing them out and coming closer to neutral tiller. I.e., because the limb becomes longer, it is flexed less than if it were shorter, which in turn requires a little less stiffness, i.e. neutral tiller.

Keep in mind that all the differences we're talking about here are very small, a half-inch or less. My discussion above tries to indicate the relationships between the variables, but the variables are so small that most folks won't notice them.  That's why switching from split to 3-under or vice versa only requires a small change in nock point height.   

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  Plus, my head hurts.   :bigsmyl: :deadhorse:

« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 08:39:02 PM by Orion »

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2022, 06:22:23 PM »
I think I git it, Jerry!! :dunno:

Online the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2022, 05:13:58 PM »
Does it make a difference?  In my case absolutely --- bows tillered for split always tune best for me at 3/4".  My bows tillered for 3 under end up just under 5/8".  Also the bows tillered for 3 under are noticably quieter.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2022, 06:26:55 PM »
John, the lower nock height is understandable.  The noise factor can only be qualified if you were comparing the bows tillered 3 under with identical models of bows but tillered split.
BigJim

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2022, 06:50:09 PM »
Ok... Let me run this by you guys...

My normal nock height for split finger is 1/2" to the bottom of the nock point.
I nock my arrow under my nock point, and only use 1

It's 5/8" on my square, to the top of my nock point.
If I nock my arrow above this nock point, then put a 2nd nock point above the arrow nock (1/4")
I would have 2 nock points as BJ suggested. The height to the bottom of the upper nock point would be 7/8"

Is this too high...?? :dunno:

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2022, 07:30:36 PM »
Could be.. but Could be right. Too many factors to give a "book" answer.
Most of my personal nock heights are about 7/8". Thicker your fingers, higher your nocks.. higher your elbow,  higher your nocks and of course other bow factors.
BigJim

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2022, 09:16:36 PM »
I just might try it, for starters.....

I use brass crimp on nock points, and I crimp them down TIGHT! (Hey, they don't move)
It might be simpler to just add an extra nock point above on an old string, rather than try to remove it and move it. They are a BEAR to get off, and I usually end up buggering up the string serving. :banghead:

Online Kirkll

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2022, 10:50:41 AM »
There are exceptions to the rule….. check out the tiller on this bow.    :biglaugh:

https://images.app.goo.gl/WPuNsjmXuKizAWxL8   
Big Foot Bows
Traditional Archery
[email protected]

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2022, 11:40:52 AM »
Woodchucker, I may have missed it but what method do you use to tune your setup?
shoot straight shoot often

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2022, 11:55:32 AM »
Could be.. but Could be right. Too many factors to give a "book" answer.
Most of my personal nock heights are about 7/8". Thicker your fingers, higher your nocks.. higher your elbow,  higher your nocks and of course other bow factors.
BigJim
So does a cant affect how high ones nock set might be? 
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©