3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Lets go to blood trailing school shall we?  (Read 2930 times)

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Lets go to blood trailing school shall we?
« on: May 18, 2022, 12:37:31 PM »
Let's see if we can teach and learn to better ourselves during the off season.  Tips and tactics and lessons learned.

I do know that even liver shot pass through shots that squirt pretty good are hard to trail across a TX pasture when they are running 90 to nothing.

I have more, but want to see what the gang comes up with.

:campfire:
Blaze out your own trail.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Lets go to blood trailing school shall we?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2022, 01:32:42 PM »
OK, I'm an old guy.... I've been doing this a long time.

Learn to TRACK!!! I've been doing this since I could walk, so it just seems "easy" to me.
Every animal that walks, leaves tracks. Follow the TRAIL. The blood, just confirms you're on the right one.

1) Watch
Where was it standing? Pay close attention to the things around the animal when you took the shot.
This tree, rock, bush, etc. You should be able to find EXACTLY where it was standing when you shot it, and then find evidence of a hit.
What did it do? Squatt? Jump? Kick? "Hunch up"? It's reaction to the shot, will usually tell you where you hit it. Not THINK you hit it...
Where did it go? It ran down hill, past that that rock, past that tree, crossed that brook, into that brush, etc.
This should help you find EXACTLY the last place you saw it. Put the pieces of the puzzle together, and you have the start of your trail....
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline TIM B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2022, 01:42:45 PM »
Slow down…..and us old guys need to wear our glasses when trailing
Tim B

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 02:10:31 PM »
2) Follow the sign....
So, you have waited about an hour, and put the pieces of the puzzle together...

Everyone loves a blood trail that Ray Charles could follow!! But, this one's gonna be tougher....
You found EXACTLY where it was standing, and confirm a hit. Brown and white hair tells you that your arrow entered high, and exited low. At the shot, it hunched up and trotted off down hill. Now, look for the "landmarks" that you remember from after the shot.
Things look different at ground level but it's important that you find them BEFORE you start following the trail!!
The tree, the rock, the brook, the brush it disappeard into... Walk SLOWLY in the same direction it traveled after the shot. So, you do this, and find a few drops of dark red blood. Then, you find the front half of your arrow. The arrow is covered in dark red blood, has green mush on it, and it stinks!! This tells you, your arrow probly hit the liver/stomach area. It is going to die. But, it's gonna take a while!! So, wait a few hours more...
You get back on the trail, but find very little blood. You slowly work your way to where it entered the brush, and you lost sight of it....  Now what??

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 02:54:36 PM »
I'll throw one out.....

In very fine dirt eviroments, i.e., Craine TX for example, a trotting animals blood can hit the ground and roll up into blood filled dust balls.... so pay attention.  :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2022, 03:02:04 PM »
In Texas, if you're not sure that speck is blood, the fire ants will let you know it is.
 :campfire: :coffee: :archer2:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 10:43:50 PM by Wudstix »
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2022, 03:11:09 PM »
3) Low & Slow
Now you have no idea where it went?? Everything that walks, leaves a trail. The trick is finding it!
Blood can be anywhere. Blood soaks the hair, long before it hits the ground. Squat or kneel (sit? Hey, I'm old)
and look 2-3 feet off the ground in every direction. Many times, you will find more blood on trees and leaves, than you will on the ground. Once an animal gets into heavy cover, they brush against all kinds of things. Blood gets transferd to trees, sticks, logs, leaves, etc.

4) Not just blood!
Remember, you are following a trail. Any animal walking through the woods, will leave sign that it has been through there. The easiest to find and see is overturned leaves. Get your head a foot or so off the ground, and you can easily see a trail of overturned leaves, going in a certain direction. I have actually laid on the ground, and picked up a trail of overturned leaves! Also, The sign has told you, that this animal is hit hard... A hard hit, hurting animal will stumble!! This will be easy to see once you know what you're looking at. ALWAYS remember!! Look around, left & right, you should be scanning a half circle in front of you the entire time...

5) Mark the trail
I have never carried TP or surveyors tape, to mark trails. IT IS a good idea, should you choose to do so!!
I have always marked my sign, buy simply breaking a small branch. The important thing, is to make a mark, and that YOU know what it is and what it means!!
If you loose the trail? If you loose the trail, go back to your last mark, and make widening half circles in the general direction the animal was traveling. Another thing to remember is, ALWAYS look behind you!! By lineing up your marks, you will be able tell the direction of possible travel.

6) When in doubt, Down Hill
In my 40+ years of doing this... I have NEVER seen a fatally hit animal, go up hill for a long distance.
I have seen them go up hill to get to thick cover, and up hill because they were pushed that way.

7) WATER
A hard hit, fatally wounded animal, always heads for water!
When all else fails... Check every spring, brook, creek, pond, etc. you can think of!!

This is just one old woodchuckers experience.... OMMV  :archer:

Offline Appalachian Hillbilly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2022, 08:55:27 PM »
I shot my first trad buck this year. My stand is about 60 yards from a thicket hell on the uphill side. I had patterned the deer through my trail cams to know they came from down below where bedded and went into the thicket. This was consistent.

This is all on the side of a mountain.  I shot the deer and watched the nock disappear right  behind the heart area. Arrow was laying in the weeds covered in bright bubbly blood from point to the soaked feathers.

The deer took off straight  up hill. Thought for sure he would make it to the thicket and that would be tough.

NO BLOOD! Period! Crawled on my hands and knees and NO BLOOD!  I went to the fence line and started a cross search back and forth.

Finally gave up and called for a dog. Then I walked straight towards the stand.

I found the deer 40 yards facing the stand! No blood on the hide Period. He had ran aways and turned to look back. Fell right there.

When I field dressed him, his abdomen was full of blood!

The shot went in between the diaphragm and back of one lung on the bottom and exit through the other lung.

He bled out running up hill, all internally into his abdomen.

I started the search to wide .

Entry and exit pics

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2022, 09:30:04 PM »
A particular piece of state land in south western NY that’s loaded with deer,  is also loaded with small maples that have leaves that turn bright yellow,  with bright red spots all over them.  They can cover the forrest floor for hundreds of yards in any direction.  It is a blood trailers nightmare.  If you don’t have a blood bath on the ground,  we’ve many times resorted to peroxide in a spray bottle.  Foams up like mad instantly when it hits the blood.  Allows you to differentiate between your blood trail and them dreaded red spotted leaves.  Also makes even a tiny spot of blood blow up with foam pretty good.  Also,  have chem lights (glow sticks) handy if you know it’s gonna get dark on ya. Cyalume are the best.   Priceless piece of gear for trailing in the dark. 

Offline GCook

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2022, 10:33:02 PM »
I'll throw one out.....

In very fine dirt eviroments, i.e., Craine TX for example, a trotting animals blood can hit the ground and roll up into blood filled dust balls.... so pay attention.  :campfire:
This is the same on our place north of Abilene TX.  Also, if the animal is just piling through the brush, or staying on trails tells you a lot about it's condition.  Also look higher on the grass and brush for blood if you aren't seeing much on the ground.
I can afford to shoot most any bow I like.  And I like Primal Tech bows.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2022, 10:49:00 PM »
Hard hit deer will generally take an easy path, until you're banking on that.  Then they won't.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 11:10:45 PM by Wudstix »

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2022, 11:05:01 PM »
Eric makes 2 good points!!

Peroxide works GREAT!!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Those dang yellow leaves!!!  :banghead:
I love yellow fletching!! But I won't use it on my hunting arrows...

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2022, 07:24:23 AM »
Believe it or not but if you put your nose on the ground many times you can smell the animal tracks. It is something I discovered tracking boars and I was ready surprised that I was able to sniff the scent. But a dog goes often with its nose on the ground and also if we can’t compare ourselves with dog’s noses we still can feel something
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2022, 09:18:38 AM »
Ryan is dead on..... #1 ....SAFETY.... that's what they are looking for.

Here's back up for Ryan from years ago... one of the 1st stories ever entered on Tradgang from March 18th 2003.  Luckily I had seen this before as a young man and was paying attention....

Know Your Terrain, by Terry Green
Thanksgiving Blessing.

https://www.tradgang.com/tgsmf/index.php?topic=108974.0

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2022, 09:34:40 AM »
Think you'd be crazy to not see it as Ryan stated,  regarding the time.   And of course,  that's the hardest thing ever, especially if it's a dandy you just slammed and you want that closure.  Minutes seem like days and you're gonna have to wait a whole lot of them.  Sitting in agony,  trying to replay that flash moment in your mind.  Was the shot not what you thought it was? Second guessing yourself?  A true test of patience if there ever was one ........ but you gotta do it.   And just hope the coyotes don't get there before you do.
The dog is the coolest for sure!  Never seen one in action myself on a deer for me or anyone else I've helped recover for but think that's just the coolest thing.  Nothing like watching hounds work, especially when they are really good at it.   :clapper: Only ever seen that with coon hounds and coyote hounds.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2022, 09:39:47 AM »
Oh, and BTW Ryan, that Buck in the story was my first kill with a Snuffer.   :campfire:

Online supernaut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2022, 09:47:38 AM »
Some excellent tips and tactics, thanks to ALLL for sharing!  :thumbsup:

Keep them coming please.  :campfire:

I like to practice my tracking skills year round. I'm always in the woods and if I jump bedded deer, I'll go and track them. It has taught me a lot about reading sign. It's not the same as tracking a wounded deer but I think too many hunters only practice their tracking after a shot, good or bad. Just my 2 cents.
Prayer changes things.

If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2022, 10:35:18 AM »
Also, if you look at that pic in the story you can see the light in the background of the thicket.  However you can see I'm in the darkness of the 'thicket inside the thicket' and the honeysuckle vines as spoken of.... that's where he wanted to be.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2022, 01:38:03 PM »
Patience, persistence pay off.  Also, shooting a big 3 blade head can make iffy shots much better.  Had a 6 yard shot were a small buck swapped ends, a perfect behind the shoulder hit turned into a Snuffer to the ham resulted in a short blood trail.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 06:39:31 PM by Wudstix »

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”