3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: For those who shoot more than one bow  (Read 1416 times)

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
For those who shoot more than one bow
« on: February 15, 2007, 03:05:00 PM »
How can you go from one bow to the other and still hit where you look when the sight picture will change and the poundage of bows might be different as well as arrow weights?

Thanks
If God is your Co-pilot, change seats.

Offline indianalongbowshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: For those who shoot more than one bow
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 03:35:00 PM »
8up, After you shoot long enough your brain compensates pretty quickly when you shoot a different bow, for me within 8-10 shots I can pretty much shoot any bow. Youll alway be better off to stick to shooting one bow year round for hunting as everything becomes second nature, unfortunately I like shooting different bows and switch around all the time. Last year killed 5 deer with 4 different recurves.
dean/indianalongbowshooter

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 04:03:00 PM »
What works for me is to keep all of my bows shooting arrows around 10 - 11 grains per pound of draw weight. They vary from 50 to 60+ lbs and this seems to keep the trajectories fairly close. If a new bow shoots a little higher or lower than I'm used to then usually varying the arrow weight a little gets it close. However I think the different grips play a huge role in where the bow shoots for you. If a grip doesn't fit you then no amount of tinkering will ever bring it in. I've shot several BW recurves and everyone has shot 8-10 inches below where I'm looking, yet I can switch from say my 50lb Palmer to my 62lb Monarch LB all day and never miss a beat. This is just my experience with "my" bows, yours might be different. A lot of variables can come into play trying to get different bows to shoot right for you personally. JMHO.
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2007, 05:18:00 PM »
I have bought and sold more than 1 bow that didn't shoot the same as others I wanted to keep.  Have a Predator on the way off E-bay.  If it isn't at least close it will either be back  there or they will.  
 Have to see which I like better.  I have a 54# Chek-Mate Falcon Delux and a 55# Super K that shoot identical.  If the 58# Predator is just a little high I may take the limbs down a bit as it needs refinishing.   :thumbsup:

Offline VA Bowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2007, 09:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by bowdude:
I have bought and sold more than 1 bow that didn't shoot the same as others I wanted to keep.  Have a Predator on the way off E-bay.  If it isn't at least close it will either be back  there or they will.  
 Have to see which I like better.  I have a 54# Chek-Mate Falcon Delux and a 55# Super K that shoot identical.  If the 58# Predator is just a little high I may take the limbs down a bit as it needs refinishing.     :thumbsup:  
You'll love that Predator !

I have 10 different bows and I love to shoot them all, you just have to have them set up right.  Then it's just a matter of a few shots and you're on target.  As stated it's best to stay with one bow for hunting, as a rule.
Bows, Broadheads & Backstraps

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 09:09:00 PM »
hey i shoot any bow i can get my hands on if it is in my draw and poundage. its fun and i dont have a problem with it at all.  :campfire:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 09:12:00 PM »
Most all of my bows are within 10 pounds of weight, and because I overspine, I can usually shoot the same arrows out of all of them.  I've never had a problem switching from one to another, I think in part because most bows shoot about the same at 20 yards and in (i.e., they have the same trajectory, given that they're about the same weight.  Then again, I've been shooting stickbows for nearly 50 years.  Maybe it's just become automatic.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2007, 09:35:00 PM »
I'm like bowdude in that I will only keep those bows that shoot close to the same.

I stick with one bow only when getting ready for hunting season, but I enjoy all types the other months of the year.
Lon Scott

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2007, 09:39:00 PM »
I fell in love with bows... plural.  I love shooting them and don't settle on any one.  I did settle on one type... Howard Hills... and a rough weight range from all I can handle at my age and condition, which seems to be 55#, to as light as I find enjoyable, which seems to be 48#.   Since all the Hills are very similar in visual sight picture (I shoot "instinctive"... and let's not get into that) and basic shelf/window structure, I seem to be able to do well with the same arrows on about 8 to 10 of my bows.   The rest are either heavier or lighter and clearly take a different arrow.  

Just today I received a Hill by John Schulz, reverse handle, 55# for me.  I strung it up and shot 10 arrows into about a 4" to 5" group right off at 14 yds.  The group was maybe 3" low and 2" left.  Moving the nock will lift it and I can adjust my form to move it right within a few rounds of shooting.

Dick in Seattle
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline Dick in Seattle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2007, 09:44:00 PM »
Oh, yeah... my normal practice session, every day in good weather and several times a week otherwise, includes at least three different bows.

Dick in Seattle
Dick in Seattle

"It ain't how well the bow you shoot shoots, it's how well you shoot the bow you shoot."

Offline deerslay1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 09:53:00 PM »
Change is good.. The more you try the more you want..ha

Offline hormoan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 10:10:00 PM »
I have a a a
Blacktail Elite VL 50@28"
Blackwidow SAV Ironwood 40@30" a extra set of SAlll 47@28" limbs
Hoyt Gamemaster 50@28"
Yet to arrive Black Widow PSG anniversary.
And they all shoot basically the same shafts well. But they are all shelf cut to center (or close) or better, as the Hoyt. That makes things much easier. Then its just how the old girl likes to be held. All these being recurves. But if I switched to a longbow I would have issues. Every bow is a little differant, but after holding and shooting them. And after a few years of doing it, it is natural. But you will develope a preferance of what you like. Longbow,Hybred longbow,recurve one will stand out or if your really unlucky you will want at least one of each. More likely more. Sorry for the bad news. Most of all have fun, just watch your check book!
   :bigsmyl:  

Brent

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2007, 10:30:00 PM »
I have 4 bows,two recurves and two longbows all are three piece takedown high end bows and all at around 60# @28" I shoot the same arrows out of all of them and they all shoot the same for me. Never had a problem switching bows. course I been doing this for 40 some odd years.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2007, 10:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by Danny Rowan:
 course I been doing this for 40 some odd years.

Danny
Heck I've been doing it for almost 40 days   :bigsmyl:
If God is your Co-pilot, change seats.

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 10:36:00 PM »
For me shooting instinctively, the site widow never changes as there is none.
Your hand that holds the bow and the bow are the site window.
The site window will chnage if your style is Olympic straight up shooting.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline Desertman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2007, 10:39:00 PM »
Once you develop a shooting style,varying the equipment is pretty much like riding a different bike.After a few miles, all is well.
I switch from recurve to recurve to long bow etc. and  after 30-50 shots get in the groove.Having said that I believe sticking to just one bow could make all of us better shooters.But what a boring sport that would make!

Offline Ghost Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2007, 11:04:00 AM »
I can go from a selfbow with a broomstick handle to a recurve and anything in between and have no problems at all. As long as the arrow is close to the top of my hand, it doesn't matter what the bow feels like. As far as draw weight, same thing. It is all about looking at the target, drawing the bow and pointing your bow hand while concentrating like all get out. Nothing else matters much.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2007, 11:29:00 AM »
I shoot different bows from January through July/August with emphasis on the bow I have decided to hunt with in that particular year. This year it will be my Massie TD "Longhorn", which pulls about 61# at my draw length. Come August I will only shoot this bow throughout the rest of the year. I shoot at least three to four times a week from August through December with my hunting rig.

Offline joe vt

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2007, 02:50:00 PM »
i believe my accuracy is hurt by switching bows so offen. but i love shooting different bows......plus it gives me an excuse for missing targets. lol
~ joe vt  >>>~~~~~~~~>

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2007, 02:58:00 PM »
I have only two bows. Once I got them set up nice and shooting well, they seem to do the shooting for me. It just works.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©